How long is Lower Unit oil good in the can, and how often to change?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Was just adding oil to my reseviour and noticed an open bottle of Lower Unit Oil on the shelf. I used to run a 5hp Mariner on my jonboat and would change the lower unit oil myself each fall and have a lot left from the last change.

First question is the oil still good or should it be thrown away (recycled environmentall friendly)?

Second, do I need to check the lower unit oil on any regular frequency or just have the dealer change each fall during my tuneup/check-up?? Motor is a 2000 Merc 40.

Thanks gang - TrepMan

Trep,

I don't know about shelf life. Should be good. I change mine every fall. Always check for leaks. But with a 2000 you should be fine changing it in the fall. Just watch for excessive fillings or water mixed in. If the old fluid is only from last year, you'll be fine. It's a petro product. Without heat it will take forever to breakdown, especially given it's designed vicosity. Hope I helped.

Rob

TrepMan, I just came back from upstate NY (Rochester area -- lived there for 24 yrs.) a few days ago (vacation) and absolutely killed the bass. It's a beautiful area in summer but the winters are horrible due to Lake Ontario. I think I will stick it out here in NC where I can fish year round. What are of NY are you interested in possibly moving to?

Al - It's realy more central NY north of White Plains up around the Conneticut area. I work for IBM and when we don't have travel restrictions on (and sometime when we do like now) I travel to Somers, Armonk and/or White Plains a few times a month. I know the public schools are much better up there than here in north Georgia and IBM has a lot of jobs, but for now working from Home and not dealing with the snow (while my kids are little) is O.K., but if the economy changes, job changes and/or we get the ich you never know.

I was born not too far from there in Paterson, NJ and moved to Indianapolis when I was 6.

TrepMan

Trepman,

I am a born and raised Floridian, so I will always be a proud Southerner who loves the sun, never a Yankee will I be. After many years, more than I care to count of living all over the world on uncle Sams ticket(Retired US Army, Whoora!) I was ready to settle and make a home. Due to the education system and employment opportunities that were abundant 5 years ago, I decided on Massachusetts. IMOHO there is no parallel to the education system in Massachusetts.

The snow is definitely different from the rain and hurricanes down south, but if you learn to enjoy winter sports, the snow can be wonderful. You can fish year round, just not always with a boat. As for the employment, it's a coin toss, yes you can make allot more $$ but the cost of living here is 2 nights and 4 days difference from the south.

Enjoy the telecommuting and your children while they are little as long as you can and keep playing the lottery. :)

Cass

Trep,

You just come up for next year rally on Lake Champlain, and you'll get all the justification you need. And BTW, I put the boat in in April, and it doesn't get "pickled" until October! LOL But I will admit that From December to March, looking out into the driveway at that huge mound of snow that I know is really a boat beneath....well that bites. Like I said earlier, bitter/sweet!

Rob

Cass - Love working from home, bad part is walking into the kitchen and seeing the boat in the garage and knowing I can't take it out! I know the cost difference, we're still thinking moving north and paying more for the house (and less land) or staying put and putting the money into school.

Rob - I'll think of you in January when i'm trolling for Stripers on lanier LOL

Now, wife and kids are going to her sisters in 2 weeks for a week, got to plan my work to allow MAXIMUM fishing (day and night) those 6 days!!!

TrepMan

That's just low Trep. We don't even HAVE stripers in Champlain. Downstate they do. We do you work? IBM? I know an EXEC at IBM in Burlington VT. Maybe we could arrange a little "transfer". LOL Yeah we'll move ya right in the middle of Feb, when all the Noreasters blow inland! I'm sure you have heard about our 4 seasons... almost winter, winter, STILL winter, and construction!

....left Plattsburgh in '82 to go in the service.

20 yrs are up next August and I've been debating

on building that cabin on some property I own in

Peru or staying down here in Virginia, where winter

is only something which appears on the calander.

Don't really know if I should trade the nice warm

tidal rivers around the Chesapeake Bay for that

trout hole back up north, which I remember freezing

all the way accross to Burlington in '81. said Huck

Rob - I remember those noreasters well, I grew up in Indianapolis and spent a few years out of school in Chicago. Yes, I do work for IBM, and NO transfers to VT? Unless they come with 6 months vacation to cover the WINTER.

Huck - I'd love to win the lottery (just a few million after taxes) so I could retire and have both! A summer place in Minn or Canada and a winter place on the gulf coast - i'm dreaming again!!

TrepMan

Latest posts

Back