How fast is too fast?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Bourget2

Reaction score
I posted this over on BBC, and figured it should be here as well.....

Too Fast.....Whoa. That is precisely why I got out of it. Started with a 70 mph HydroStream....graduated with a near 130mph Allison. I bit it once, totalled an XR2002 Ally in the process. Had a few more MUCH faster boats after that. Herein lies the problem. You can't see what's under the water. Forget about wind, waves, trim. EVERY time you make a pass, and you back off at the end of "your straight", consider yourself lucky. I was questioned after a high speed run why my hands were shaking {from adrenaline} and when I explained to that person that just got a thrill ride that I was "nervous", they got VERY pale. Forget about underwater, think mechanical failure. I had a racing buddy who was killed from loosing a skeg. Nothing hit, just a modded skeg that was thinned a little too much and couldn't take the tremendous paddle wheel effect a 330hp, 9K motor produces. Bottom line....you are taking tremendous risks in ANY BASS boat that is capable of over 60mph. Hit a log that is unannounced at that speed and you had better be wearing your life jacket and have the kill tether attached and working. Be careful...it is not your driving that will bite you....it is generally the unknown. Remember this......

EDIT: The sole reason for this post was to "educate" the consumer with reality. Please remember that with the advent of faster and faster boats, wearing the proper safety gear, making SURE steering systems, throttle operation, kill switches not only WORK, but are periodically inspected / tested. STAY SAFE!!!

EDIT 2: Let me clarify "why I got out-of-it". I started with the Vector, and once I learned to drive it, did a solid 82mph. NEEDED to get to 85. Bought a 200. Speed went to high 80's, touched 90. NEEDED 95. Bought a 'Stream 16 Ventura. Great boat, speed bumped to 95...maybe 96. NEEDED 100. Sold the whole rig and bought a Seebold Warrior with a factory Merc Mod VP. No warranties, 8000 rpm, Cam 2. For the first year, best I could muster was 97. NEEDED 100. Put a low water pick-up and viola! FINALLY broke the triple digit, all elusive number. Ran a consistent 101-102. Won a bunch of local Mod vp races in Maine, and placed third in a National event. Boat cornered as fast as it went straight. OK....NEEDED to get to 105. Here comes the Allison XR2002 with a 2.4 Bridgeport EFI. Boat ran great, topped out about 106. Totaled it in a LOBSTER BOAT RACE FESTIVAL in Bar Harbor Maine. Stuffed a wake at better than 85mph. Coupla' bruises but walked away and came home with the motor and jackplate bolted to the trailer bunks. Built a custom Action Marine 18 SVB. 475lbs of pure acceleration. Ran 114 MPH ON THE EDGE. SCARY flighty. Featured in Hot Boat Mag, sold it to a guy in Illinois. NEEDED to go 120. Bought a Mirage R/R full on race boat with a 2.5 / S/S. It ran 123. NEEDED to get to 125. In comes my final ride, an Allison XR2001 2.5 EFI S/S. Ran 128. At that point, you really don't "walk" away from an accident. Jet-skiis all over the place, getting older and wiser, reflexes slowing. REALITY. The incessant need for speed taught me what I now know, and can educate others. How fast is too fast they ask???? HHHMMMMM.......:blink:

Latest posts

Back