How Do You Handle The Heat?

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
On the positive side, I've had a lot of guide trips. On the flip side of that, I'm having a terrible time with the sun and heat this year. Yes, I drink gallons of water, yes, I try to plan my guide trips early or late (rarely works), I come off the water and hop into a cold shower but I've been getting more headaches etc., usually the heat has no effect on me whatsoever. I actually beginning to think it may be allergies. I'm going to try some Claritan for a while and see if that works.

So, How do you deal with those hot, sticky, massive UV days?

TOXIC

Tox,

As you know I have a bimini top on the boat... Not practical for your boat but stash a couple of those beach umbrellas and put sockets somewhere for a 15-30 minute "out of the sun"... And, on real hot days I take some time to soak my feet in the ater if it is cooler than the air...

Hydrate the night before, eat something in the Am, something good for you, not a doughnut!

eat lightly during the day and drink a mixture of water, gatoraide, or other sports drinks. Just water is bad and not eating anything is bad too.......

Make sure that the water you drink is cool, not COLD or ICE cold...takes longer for the body to process it....

its not allergies man...it is the heat...first stage of a heat case.....

Water, water, and more water.

I'll drink 6 to 10 of those 16.9 ounce waters by weigh-in time plus one at weigh-in and a large (20 ounce) glass of milk in the morning with breakfast.

I don't eat anything on the water except a couple granola bars or something similar.

I wait a couple hours before showering to let my body cool down on it's own.

I use one of these evaporative bandana's on really not days to keep me cool:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_93360?cm_mmc=froogle-_-350-4-12-_--1-_-38-612-908-06&hvarAID=froogle&mr:trackingCode=77A4ABC1-7B2D-DC11-8E88-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

I didn't get mine from Bass Pro shops, but they are the same thing. I got mine years ago from Bassarama. They sell some cheaper ones at Wally World, but they don't work as well. The one from BPS is the same as the one I use - just a different color - mine are plain solid colors.

I drink tons of water, as well as gatorade. I eat energy food during the day. If I feel a headache coming on, I grab a solid chocolate bar (not a snickers or anything like that - just pure chocolate - hersheys) and scarf the whole thing down, followed by some water.

I take daily vitamins from GNC - the "mens pack" vitamins.

When the weather gets as hot as it's been lately, I skip the morning coffee. I just drink a big glass of OJ, or down a few gatorades before the sun gets up.

Eat breakfast - no donuts. No "quick" stuff. Get up early, make some eggs and toast or something like that. At the very minimum... I'll eat a big bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios and milk.... but if I can, I'll eat a real breakfast.

When I lived in Florida, the club I fished with wouldn't think of going out on a empty stomach - we all stopped at "Huddle House" (like a Waffle House) and ate a full breakfast before heading out.

BTW.... I've seen your skin tone. I know you like the sun. Start slathering on the maximum protection BULLFROG sunscreen. Leave the "suntan lotion" at home. Put "sunscreen" in your boat, and use it. Before you leave in the morning, put it on your back and chest before putting your shirt on too. Think that material blocks all of the UV rays? Nope! You can get skin cancer in areas your clothing covers just as fast as uncovered areas. I had a friend in Florida that never fished in short sleeves / short pants. He had these lightweight white shirts, with matching pants - thin material, very lightweight. He always wore long sleeves and long pants, and I hardly ever saw him sweat. I guess it's all in the material.

I feel for ya' brother. I hope some, or all of this, might help.

All the best,

Glenn

I stay inside and watch TV. :rolleyes:

But when I can't do that I just try to drink plenty of water, wear a bonnie hat and full shoes. The worst sunburn I ever had was on the tops of my feet when I didn't change out of my flip-flops after I launched the boat. I also keep an old white cotton long sleeve dress shirt in the boat. It's great for when you're so hot you just can't stand it any longer. I dunk it down in the water and then put it on for a good cool off. Have you ever seen a farmer on a tractor wearing a tank top? Another thing I keep in the boat is an old golf umbrella...great for when you just gotta cop some shade.

I don't like to have a full stomach when it's hot. I usually won't eat much of anything except for a granola bar or some cheesy crackers and water, water, water.

One more thought...

This summer I started using the Bannana Boat brand of spray sunblock. I find that I'm more apt to actually use it, than I am the kind I have to squrit in my hands and rub on.

I can't figure out why y'all think I eat doughnuts in the morning?!?!?:lol::lol::lol::lol: Gotta remember, I've been on the water a number of years and have had heat stroke, sun poisioning, and just about everything else. I know when I "hit the wall". Usually I sweat like a fool for the first couple of times out.... then nothing. I used to steam clean the insides of rail tankers and while other guys were passing out, I wasn't even sweating. I would use sunscreen if I burned. I go to the Dermatologist every year and he always tells me the same thing, yes, use sunscreen but with my skintype, skin cancer is not a big concern. I am more uncomfortable with sunscreen on than off....I KNOW that is not right and I would NEVER recommend anyone go without but I never have used it. I keep my skin extremely moisturized. Something to do with my indian bloodline I guess. Never had the same headaches though, almost feels like it is in my sinus cavity.

Oh well, gotta trip tomorrow, close to 100....I'm gonna try to hydrate tonight. Eat good in the morning and hit the water for another Shake and Bake day. I'll be at Bass Pro Hampton this Sunday if anybody is milling around.

TOXIC

I lost 29 lbs,went from 218 to 189,and when it is going to be sunny,hot,and sticky,I wear long sleeve Columbia white nylon shirts,and full length nylon pants.When it is that hot I don't want any skin exposed,and I am very tan.About early mid day I start to put some ice chips in my floppy hat,keeps my head cool,and while it melts and runs down my back,keeps the rest of me comfy,no problems.And like what has already been mentioned, don't eat junk,I like mellons cut up in a container on ice,and some protien,keep it light,nothing heavy,greasy or that your body has to work hard internaly to digest.

Hey Sooner, the worst sunburn in recent memory was in my knee pits OOOUUCCHHH

Hammer if you ahve been aheat case before as you get older you are more prone to going down..be careful man...but your POA to me sounds good!!

hope you stick some good ones!!!!

I have desert all around..and thats not dinner desert! thats no water desert!!!

Hey Sooner, the worst sunburn in recent memory was in my knee pits OOOUUCCHHH

ooooooooooo Yeah, I did that one time too....that's really NFG.:blink:

Uh Tox, could it be anything to do with the wieght??? LOL

Back in the good old days before a force march we would drink water (no caffeine) you should be going to the bath room every hour till it's clear and yes you can drink to much water and get sick it will flust your system to much . Don't hydrate with stuff like power aid thats for re-hydration trust me it will give you the squarts if you drink to much before you activitys there is nothing like a 20 MILE MARCH WITH THE SKIDDS!!! :wacko: but like Carlos said once you have become a heat casulty you will be more likley to be one again. eat a good breakfast and small snacks through out the day but you should drink a bottel of water every hour or so.

Uh Trep....I've been this weight for the last 20 years!!LOL!!:lol::lol: This is my NATURAL weight:p:p. I weighed 275 as a Senior in High School and played football. Remember, I was in Nebraska getting ready to go play for Bob Devaney. At 275 and a lineman, I was smaller than the running backs at that time!!:huh:

And if I wet the bed tonight, it's all of your fault!!:p:p:p

TOXIC

Okay Toxic, I made some assumptions here [especially re: lines 3 and 4] and factored in 10 beers for luck, but you can figure that you need to drink @ 2 gallons of water--not all at one sitting. Just remember, some times it ain't the water ... it's the sun!

A person who is 275 pounds

and is exercising for 0 minutes ,

is not pregnant,

is not breastfeeding,

does not live at a high altitude,

does not live in a dry climate,

drinks 10 alcoholic drink(s),

when the weather is very hot or very cold,

and is not sick with fever or diarrhea should have:

233.5 ounces of water today, or 7 liters.

If you eat a healthy diet, about 20 percent of your water may come from the foods you eat. If you eat a healthy diet you can drink 186.8 ounces of water today, or 5.6 liters.

Remember that water is the best source for your daily fluid needs. Other good beverages include milk, herbal teas, low-sodium broth, 100% fruit and vegetable juices. Soft drinks will also count toward your daily total of fluid, just remember that sugar sweetened soft drinks and fruit juices add extra calories to you daily diet that you don't need.

I was thinking wear something other than a plaid skirt. Instead of wool you might try cotton? Please just don't go any shorter, your hem line is good where it's at.......:lol::lol:

BF

P.S and like always great information even with jabs at Scott...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH @Bruce:lol::lol: Toxic, I've never seen the sun have any affect on you at all.:rolleyes:

Also, listen to Hutch. Too much of the re-hydration fluids will almost certainly give you the squirts. Nothing worse than having cramps while in the middle of a run, not that you have to worry about that running stuff, huh?

When I was fishing <--boohoohoo--> my friend Fred had a huge umbrella for each seat and it made all the difference. It slipped over your pedestal to the floor with a PVC part that exceeded the radius of your seat, and you. Then the umbrella fit into that. It would swivel around the seat so it didn't get in your way. You can't stand under it but it works well with a regular seat or a pro-pole. It saved me more than once. I just found it on BPS. I would have bought one but I was to cheap at the time.:(

The umbrella that attaches to your seat was not even an option for me because I wasn't going to screw something into my seat.

A lot of people guffaw at this but it really works. If it's really windy though it will blow the boat around. But if it's really windy you shouldn't need that umbrella.

Just an idea. Be careful Scott.

Uncle Billy
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...artNumber=993&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchR

Jump in the water silly.....sheesh you make things so difficult Tox.

I drank 12, 12oz bottles Sunday in a tourney.....Never urinated. I sweat it all out. :)

Mini

I know that once you get heat stroke, bad sunburns, frostbite or anything else that drastically changes the skin can have some real adverse effects.

I had frost bite years ago and didn't know it at the time and cold can really wreak havock on me...anything from rashes to dam near goin' out.

A bimini like Treppi's might be an idea:lol:

I take a hand towel to dunk in the water and put it around my neck. Doing that and drinking a lot of water seems to help alot.

Check you sunglasses if your getting headaches.It makes a differance with me.Are the different then the ones you used last year ???

Mini , I 'm not sure if I have ever sweated Urine before , How do do you deal with the smell man ! lol

MG:huh:

Sheeshhere we go again....

JUMP IN THE WATER!!!!

lol

LOL!!:lol::lol::lol: I didn't have a bit of a problem today. My clients were tortured!! They couldn't take it. Let them off with a 1/2 day and I went back out for a couple more hours...Fishing sucked though. When you get water temps in the mid 90's on the cold side...it's hot!! Lake was down about a foot and a half. Fish were lockjawed. Best part is....no headache. Drank 6, 12 oz. waters and a Gatorade Rain. Had 1/2 of a sandwich. Feel just danady.

TOXIC

I use two of the bass pro bass boat umbrellas that connect to the seat post. They work great and don't get in the with two people in the boat.

Lol Mini.... nice simple solution but for me its not that easy...

I used to do the jump in deal and it worked great but since my ear surgery last Nov im not allowed to get my ear wet anymore. Due to the type of surgery i have a cavity in ny ear canal that if water gets in there is could get very infected. I cant even take a shower without plugging my ear with a cotton ball and vasoilne, and with that i still have to be careful. So i have been looking for ways to beat the heat a little when its really bad.

I have always kept myself hydrated and make sure i eat right when the temps are sky high. I dont get like Tox was with headaches or anything but i do get uncomfortable and i notice i have a little less energy when its super hot out. I have been thinking of trying some of the under armor heat gear to try and stay comfortable. I like the idea of the wet long sleved shirt too, i think im gonna try that. Any other ideas on beating the hear short of jumping in or staying home?

Here's what I do when its REALLY hot and I'm fishing. It's real simple, and I think everyone should try it:

Thank God you're not woking.

Thank God you're not commuting.

Thank God you're not waitin' for commute times to come down.

Thank God it ain't snowing, so you can go fishing

Thank God the wife isn't telling you to take up golf

Thank God the fish are biting.

Under Armor Heat Gear is awesome...!!!! I wear it under my body armor at work..it does everything it's advertised to do. I've tried both the tight fit Tees and loose..I find that the tight fit works much better under my vest (doesnt bunch up).

I tend to get headaches in the heat too...it means your not keeping yourself hydrated...drink plenty of fluids. For a quick cooldown, I have one of them old fashioned ice packs that you can unscrew and fill with ice. I then plop it on my head and put my cap on to hold it in place. Knocks the headache right down if I include enough fluids.

Neutrogena "cool gel" sunscreen, it's not really cooling you down, but it sure feels like it and its a great sunscreen(comes in a spray too). Neutrogena is currently rated #1. And I dont care what your dermo says Tox...you should be wearing sunscreen. Don't get me started on that rant...y'all heard my story enuff already...!!!

Under Armor Heat Gear.....I wear it nearly everyday.

I carry it at the store, too.....10% off for LEO's, Smitty.

By the way, it is important to hydrate before you run into problems. Doing it after is a classic "after the cows are out" scenario.

Good point Marty. Kinda like putting on sunscreen after your burnt.

OR

Wiping before you poop....lol

Thought this might be useful. Some tips from a reprint out of MSN.Com on handling the heat:

Heat Advisory

The four best moves to keep your cool when the mercury spikes.

By the Editors of Best Life Magazine

If anything is certain in exercise science, it's that each year, a study will come out that flies in the face of what athletes hold as gospel. Take, for example, the recent one about water consumption, from England's University of Exeter. The sporting community has long assumed that drinking large amounts of H2O helps keep body temperature down when the outside temperature soars. Not so, say the British white coats. You can drink water until you're blue in the face, but unless the water is cold to begin with, it won't have the slightest effect on body temp. More people die each year on average from heat stroke than from all natural disasters combined. So before you strap on a sweatband and brave the next heat wave, make sure you've cooled your heels with these guidelines.

Check yesterday's heat index

Your risk of heat stroke rises sharply if the previous day was hot, according to a recent study by the U.S. Marine Corps. Researchers found that victims of heat-related illnesses often became dehydrated the day before they were stricken with heat stroke. "Being dehydrated not only prevents you from sweating efficiently, increasing your risk of overheating, but also causes your body to redirect blood from your muscles to your skin to aid cooling," says David Martin, PhD, an exercise physiologist at Georgia State University and marathon development chair for USA Track & Field.

Mind the water temperature

If you've heard the old tale about drinking room-temperature water to stay cool, disregard it, say researchers at the University of Birmingham, in England. They found that cyclists who consumed 39

Latest posts

Back