How Are The Hulls Of The Z17?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brady

Reaction score
I recently purchased the 2019 z17 and waiting to pick it up in 2 days!! I'm super excited and can't wait to take it out. I came from fishing off of a kayak and fishing off of my friend's boats to finally owning a brand new boat of my own.

I know nitro has had their share of issues with the hull design flaws but has the newer nitro's had any issues? I haven't read or heard much about the z17, 18, 19, 21, but the previous gen I did see many people complaining about the hulls having stress cracks that were pretty severe even just having it for only 1 year... Did I miss anything or am I in the clear lol.

No stress cracks with my 2018 Z18 that I've seen. Performance overall has been excellent.
I have found an issue where the hard plastic/corrugated duct leading to the engine has worn off the gel coat.
Engine duct.jpg
Transome well.jpg

I applied a section of Gator Skinz to prevent direct contact https://www.gator-guards.com/gatorskinz/

My 2017, Z18, has been a really good boat. I don't baby it- as far as where I fish. No stress cracks or Gel coat issues of any kind. I have skinned it some on the bottom fishing oyster beds and such in the marsh. Last year I hit something solid on plane hard enough to push the enging completly out of the water. The boat actually didn't strike anything. Whatever it was didn't hurt the, transom, lower unit, or the prop at all. No stress cracks developed anywhere as a result of the impact. I've been impressed with the quality of the build so far. I had the Atlas Hydraulic Jack plate installed when I bought the boat so there is nothing rubbing the transom anywhere. The large soft plastic stick on letters and numbers (Z-18 lettering) on the hull sides are very eaisly damaged if you get around stumps and stick ups. That would be my only complaint and that's just cosmetic- they can be replaced eaisly.

No stress cracks with my 2018 Z18 that I've seen. Performance overall has been excellent.
I have found an issue where the hard plastic/corrugated duct leading to the engine has worn off the gel coat. View attachment 969 View attachment 970

I applied a section of Gator Skinz to prevent direct contact https://www.gator-guards.com/gatorskinz/

Awesome that is really good to hear! I’ve been reading on too many posts involving hull issues, so that really scared me. Great idea with the gator skinz. Do they make it with clear material vs the black or colored ones?

My 2017, Z18, has been a really good boat. I don't baby it- as far as where I fish. No stress cracks or Gel coat issues of any kind. I have skinned it some on the bottom fishing oyster beds and such in the marsh. Last year I hit something solid on plane hard enough to push the enging completly out of the water. The boat actually didn't strike anything. Whatever it was didn't hurt the, transom, lower unit, or the prop at all. No stress cracks developed anywhere as a result of the impact. I've been impressed with the quality of the build so far. I had the Atlas Hydraulic Jack plate installed when I bought the boat so there is nothing rubbing the transom anywhere. The large soft plastic stick on letters and numbers (Z-18 lettering) on the hull sides are very eaisly damaged if you get around stumps and stick ups. That would be my only complaint and that's just cosmetic- they can be replaced eaisly.

Very pleased to hear that and thanks for sharing. This is my first new boat ever and I had to get the wife to finally approve of it so i’m hoping there isn’t major issues with the boat especially it being so new for at least 5+ years!

Awesome that is really good to hear! I’ve been reading on too many posts involving hull issues, so that really scared me. Great idea with the gator skinz. Do they make it with clear material vs the black or colored ones?
Not that I'm aware of but you might call them.
IMG_2257.jpg

My 2017, Z18, has been a really good boat. ...Last year I hit something solid on plane hard enough to push the engine completely out of the water. The boat actually didn't strike anything. Whatever it was didn't hurt the, transom, lower unit, or the prop at all. No stress cracks developed anywhere as a result of the impact...
Dang! Lock Ness Monster maybe:). Main thing is, no one was hurt and the boat came through unscathed.
Vic

Latest posts

Back