Horror story .... dropped boat on ramp

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Hunter

Reaction score
My wife and I went to the lake last Friday and it has pretty steep concrete ramps. Like an idiot I had (again) sprayed the bunks with "Liquid Rollers" the week before. This was the second application in 4 weeks. I backed the trailer down to the water with the tires just touching the water. I got out of the truck and unhooked the winch strap as I have done many, many times before and got in the boat. My wife got in the truck, I gave her the ok signal, and she popped it in reverse with her foot on the brake. (like we've done a hundred times before). BOOM - I slid off the trailer and the rear of the boat hit the concrete and BOOM the front of the boat hit the concrete. I yelled "SON OF A *****". And it scared the S%^T out my wife. I was floating away at this point and told her to go ahead and park the truck. When I loaded the boat back on trailer and checked the bottom I saw that the keel guard had taken all of the "hurt" and there was only a tiny scrape on the back of the boat under the drain hole. That was the worse thing that ever happened to me and I hope it's the last. I guess the moral of the story is: Be advised that the Liquid Roller spray might help with loading and unloading but KEEP THE WINCH STRAP HOOKED UNTIL THE BOAT IS FLOATING.

I hope this experience helps someone else, somewere down the line.

(2011 Nitro Z6)

I am sorry to hear that but at least it is just a lesson learned vice a big repair bill. I have witnessed it way too many times. I just hope and pray that it never happens to me!

THANKS FOR THE REMINDER!

Ron

That sucks!! As a reminder...on EVERY post I see about ANY product that assists in slickifying:lol: your bunks, I always give the warning to not unhook until you are in the water. Likewise you have to be careful loading least you end up in the back of your tow vehicle....boat included. I watched an experienced guide drop his brand spankin new Triton on the ramp at Lake Anna, my stomach still turns when I remember the sound it made.

Or the one who did not raise the motor when pulling out of the ramp, you could hear the lower unit dragging across the concret, made the hairs on my arms raise.

cq

Latest posts

Back