Hook Organization

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Murray

Reaction score
I am a confessed prototypical, type A, anal-retentive organization freak...all of my baits, tackle, plastics, whatever has some sort of container to settle my obsessive/complulsive tendencies.

However, I am NOT satisfied with the 3700 box holding all of my hooks. The dividers slide up, the hooks get discombobulated and then there is disorganization which leads to eventual anarchy and the downfall of society as we know it.

Please help me save the world from imminent destruction and share your methods of keeping your hooks organized.

I thank you and the world thanks you!

I use 35 mm film canisters, with stick-on labels and the size of the hook written in permanent marker on both the label and the lid. Works for sinkers, spinners, swivels and emergency matches. It works on all but the largest of freshwater hooks.

A drop of super-glue will hold the dividers in place forever.

By the way, I don't think the words "hook" and "anal-retentive" should be used in the same sentence...just ask MO.

Oh yes, I can give a test-a-MOAN-ee-al about hooks!

Don't know if I wanna ask about that one...anything like the first time I met Mac??

Good idea on the super-glue, except last time I used the stuff I ended up in the hospital. Better call my new insurance company first...not sure if they would classify this as a pre-existing condition.

Adam, it's not what you might think.

I posted a question about using ArmorAll on my boat seats (hypothetically, of course), and Ken told me that the vinyl would completely rot and the seat foam would dissolve because ArmorAll removes the UV inhibitors used on marine vinyl. He basically informed me that I would have to replace all of my boat's seats and to call Craig for a discount.

I believed him.

And, back to the original topic, the 35 mm canisters can lay sideways in a re-arrangeable tackle tray like the 3700 series, taking up two compartments with the divider removed. You can read the label through the lid, so you know exactly which canister to select.

Sorry I'm rambling, but here's another benefit:

I use slider hooks and 4" worms a LOT! When I get a pattern of color and hook weight down and I'm catching fish, I can pull the specific hook canister and the specific bag of worms and put them in a pocket on my PFD or shorts or jacket. If I break a rig off, I don't have to go to my tackle box for a replacement; I can just re-rig using what I've stashed in my pockets.

Seriously, those canisters (which most people end up throwing away) can serve a whole variety of storage needs. They're even waterproof!

MO....you can go to places that develope film like Walmart, etc. and ask for the film canisters. Some people will put those canisters in the envelope. The developers are only going to throw them away!

Carli

Plus, they're great for holding extra jack-nuts! Sorry! Had to do it

Depends on what size of jack-nuts...I've heard of some folks using old Pringle's cans for their jack-nuts.

Great idea MO, i've had the same problems as Adam with the hooks (especially the smaller live bait and bream hooks/swivels getting all over the tackle box).

OK Adam, we're ready now, start a new thread under Off Topic with your Super Glue story...

Trep...I'm gonna have to take the 5th on the grounds that I may look like a dumb*ss!

...a dumb *ss with 2 kissing bass tattoed on it aaagggghhhh

Come on Adam, it can't be as bad as John F falling and breaking his windshield, me leaving the keys in the truck backed down the ramp with it running and my WIFE in the boat.

OK!! Now, keep in mind that this happened years ago when the stuff first came out and they had yet to sell the solvent at retail stores.

I had "accidentally" got some on my fingers and then immediately "accidentally" stuck two fingers together to see what would happen. Nothing...just a little tacky! I kept doing this until, VOILA...they were STUCK!!

We pulled and pried on my little fingers until I screamed...which alerted my mother who immediately took me to the hospital.

Haven't touched the stuff since!

hey adam check out WWW.e-hookit.com They have the best system i have seen. I like you am a freak about my hooks and storage, but not anymore. you can also caLL them at 805-772-2695 or you can also see it at www. [email protected]

enjoy

mike

I use the film canisters with 3700 boxes. A couple of notes:

-- Try to get Fuji Film canisters. They are semi clear plastic, so you can see when you're running low on stuff.

-- You can also write on them with a Sharpie.

-- 4/0 wide-gaps are barely big enough to fit. Anything bigger wouldn't fit.

Jim

you can sylicone the dividers in place.also i just switched from plano to shimano trays. they have rounded sections which are easier to get things out of and they have stronger snaps to close them. last year i had one(plano) blow out of the boat that was full of senko's. it had close to $100.00 worth of quick sinking worms in it.i got the box back EMPTY. thanks stan

I just use the packages that my Mustad hooks come in. I have a Plano box that is like the spinnerbait box but no dividers and hangers in it. I take the different hook styles and tie wrap the different sizes together thru the hole in the packaging intended for hanging on a peg....

Treble hooks excluded. I keep a few extra hooks and split rings in each hardbait box I own (BPS 370's)....and I always have my split ring pliers handy.

Mini

Thanks, ya'll...those are all great ideas. I'm gonna start with some silicone on the dividers and see how that works. I'm down with your idea, too, Mini. Kinda like the thought of keeping them in their packages.

Will let ya'll know the results of my OCD-inspired trials!

Latest posts

Back