Hit a log, dont know the part name

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junyaah G

Reaction score
I was running up Cherokee lake, TN and hit a log. Since the water is rising, logs and debris are floating every where so be careful. I hit it at the end of my day. Well I got home and was putting it up when I noticed a piece on my motor was broke. I was sick to my stomach. I searched on google and couldnt find nothing. Its the flat piece right above the prop. Looks like its just bolted on. I need to know what its called so I can call my insurance and hopefully its covored for that.

Its a 2012 Nitro Z6 with a 115 Mercury Optimax Pro XS.

Is it this piece the Torque Tab? If so EASY and QUICK fix, no worries any marina/boat parts store or internet site carries them. Also, check the prop shaft for any wobble/movement just in case, and as well if you have the flo thru hub, take the prop off and ensure it didn't get cracked... Crossing my fingers for ya that it was only the Torque Tab

Oh and if its ONLY the Torque Tab, its only $20 :)

images

If your boat has hydralic steering...you don't even need the torque tab.....leave it off...no worries!

no its not the torque tab but that flat piece that the torque tab is bolted to.

I believe you are describing the cavitation plate integrated with your lower unit. Brace yourself for the replacement cost. You're looking at a new or repaired case. Good luck! ;)

Yes its the cavitation plate. Thank you. Is it really an expensive repair. Hopefully my insurance will cover it. I hope and pray that is the only thing that got damaged. I will inspect it further when I get home from work.

I did the same thing about a year ago. had to put a complete foot with prop on mine. It was 6 months old. My ins. paid for mine.:(

It does suck because I just got it last June. Oh well, CHIT happens I guess....so sad :(

Your insurance should cover it....minus deductable of course.

I would have your propshaft checked to make sure its still straight

If it's broken towrards the end of the cav plate, you won't need a new gear case if you're trying to save a buck. A good aluminium fabricator will cut it clean, add a new aluminium peice then sand and paint and you would never know. If the break is too close to the water pump or other seals etc, then go the insurance and yes, a new gearcase is needed. good luck

I am just going to get ahold of the insurance because a big piece of it is broke. oh, and I failed to mention that I also dropped my Iphone 5 in the lake, 20 feet deep.

That quote you have there..."A bad day fishing beats a good day workin" doesn't apply in my case haha, I'd rather have been at work than drown my phone and break my boat haha. Oh but I love fishin though :lol:

you have replacement insurance on your phone? I've drowned two so far and I am sure I'm not finished yet.

fatrap

Consider yourself lucky. I did the same thing on the Warrior River in Alabama running 60mph. It ripped jack plate mounting bolts completely through the transom. The motor was being held on by cables and hyd steering lines.

11814_462898223785738_47164583_n.jpg

936284_462898210452406_1938081174_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back