HEY TEE

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shannon Daves

Reaction score
How much Sharkhide did you use?

I polished my PT175 last night and it looks like a mirror. I used Mequiars #6 cleaner wax and my high speed buffer. The buffer is about 12 years old and I burnt the bearings out after about 60% done. Gonna order some Sharkhide and get a new buffer and apply it soon.

The parts done by buffer look great.

Also, did you do the bottom of your boat? If so...how did you do it. I figured out how to do the entire sides by taking the fenders/ side bunks off.

Thanks

O.K..Scoob.. I only went down the front to the bottom just below the water line level to where you couldn't see it. I see no need to do the bottom. I think it would eventually wear off faster and I'm only interested in what ya' can see. I think it's $39.95 a quart but, only used about 3/4 that for the front,sides and transom.

Now here's the tricky part(kinda).....I used the small 4" sponge rollers that you can buy at Lowe's. The instructions will say to use a rag but, thought..that would take longer and wouldn't be even enough. So pick a spot about 2 ft. section and roll it EASY! If you roll it fast it will bubble up..this stuffs like laquer thinner(very thin).

Go back over that area again SLLOOOOWWLY to remove the bubbles. It dries very quickly...like 1 minute..so don't go back over that area once it sets or it'll look like crap. I suggest you find a piece of aluminum to see what I'm talkin' about.

The finish is not super smooth like you think..hence Sharkhide...but, will protect it for a long time. If you need anymore tips just let me know...and BTW...the metal polish BPS sales is good for hand polishing.

I couldn't keep the buffer from loadin' up with oxidation and smearin' it on previous surfaces..

TEE

Almost forgot..stay about 1/4" away from your lettering and graphics...it'll eat em' up...just go around them you'll never notice it.

Did you do the top of the side rails too?

Yeah, I had tried it a couple of months ago with my buffer and the wool pad would load up pretty easy even with trying to clean it with screwdriver.

Well, I remembered when I had a detail shop that when I would compound cars in rough shape I would just buff until all residue was gone. SO I tried this. I would put wax on buffer pad on go to work. For about 30 seconds or so it would look like crap, but then the residue would start polishing up. After about a minutes or so it was all gone and looked MUCH better than I ever though it would have.

Gonna get another cheap buffer and sharkhide and dedicate a whole day to cleaning it up.

Thanks TEE

Anytime Scoob...yeah I did do the toprails..figured it wouldn't look right if I didn't. You'll get better after you get how it reacts when you apply..practice makes perfect.

TEE

Back