Here Fishy, fishy

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Scully

Reaction score
Please excuse the NASTY console, that will get fixed as soon as the wx breaks. Now I am looking to up grade this tiny fish finder/depth sounder to something that will actually work a little better, and yet won't break the bank. The one I have is almost useless. I am not a pro fisherman, but do enjoy catching them when I can find them......Arrrgg, Help
DSCN0738.JPG

Please excuse the NASTY console, that will get fixed as soon as the wx breaks. Now I am looking to up grade this tiny fish finder/depth sounder to something that will actually work a little better, and yet won't break the bank. The one I have is almost useless. I am not a pro fisherman, but do enjoy catching them when I can find them......Arrrgg, HelpView attachment 2004
There are a lot of really good units on the market now. Price is tied to the size screen you buy. 7" 9" screens are really good. 10" 12" displays are significantly better to view revealing detail far better but- they are expensive. If you drop below 7", in display size, you are not going to be able to see much. Of course there is a lot more to this topic. You can go to youtube and see everthing in existence, explained and in use, on the water. Good luck with this project!

There are a lot of really good units on the market now. Price is tied to the size screen you buy. 7" 9" screens are really good. 10" 12" displays are significantly better to view revealing detail far better but- they are expensive. If you drop below 7", in display size, you are not going to be able to see much. Of course there is a lot more to this topic. You can go to youtube and see everthing in existence, explained and in use, on the water. Good luck with this project!
Thanks Larry

Thanks Larry
I've seen the good Helix 7 unit several online listings for under $600. Its a great unit, good mapping, downscan and sidescan as well. I have one of these and like it a lot. It can be cabled to the minn kota i pilot to control the troll motor from the helm. I use that feature, At times very handy..
Be careful not buy a unit with no transducer accidentally. Some are listed this way in sales ads.

I fish from boats that have the 10" units. It's amazing what a difference an inch or two makes- on screen size. Yes, this applies for other considerations as well.
I've digressed- hope you find somthing that you reallly like..

I've seen the good Helix 7 unit several online listings for under $600. Its a great unit, good mapping, downscan and sidescan as well. I have one of these and like it a lot. It can be cabled to the minn kota i pilot to control the troll motor from the helm. I use that feature, At times very handy..
Be careful not buy a unit with no transducer accidentally. Some are listed this way in sales ads.

I fish from boats that have the 10" units. It's amazing what a difference an inch or two makes- on screen size. Yes, this applies for other considerations as well.
I've digressed- hope you find somthing that you reallly like..
Nice to talk with someone that shows a little humor, I am starting to search in earnst, would like to have something ready for the Spring Migration, lol Thanks you provided me with good info.

Keep us informed. I'm looking as well. We are leaning toward the Garmin Srtyker 9SV.

We have an older Garmin, Lowrance, and Humminbird on our boats now. All older units. Put of all of them I prefer the ease of operation of our old Garmin unit.

I think you need to decide what functions you are going to use - classic sonar only, GPS, side-scan and down-scan? That will help for suggestions. My $.02 is that if you are going with classic sonar only, you can find pretty cheap 5" and 7" units. The challenge if you are going have if you go with more functionality is how you will configure your screen and associated screen size. Some people split the screen into 2 functions, some split it into 3 or more. I personally can't imagine going with less than a 10" screen if you are going to split it between functions.

The end of February the Bass Pro Fishing Classic should start. There should be some Units on sale by then. I like 7" or larger for the view.

I agree with Timmer, I troll mostly. I have a Helix 10" and a Solex 12", I split both screens to see what is under me or if there is something off to the side that I might want to troll back thru. Always showing the Mapping to mark spots. But it doesn't matter how much you can see; it doesn't tell you IF they are biting or what they are biting on LOL.

I agree with Timmer, I troll mostly. I have a Helix 10" and a Solex 12", I split both screens to see what is under me or if there is something off to the side that I might want to troll back thru. Always showing the Mapping to mark spots. But it doesn't matter how much you can see; it doesn't tell you IF they are biting or what they are biting on LOL.

Not to take us off topic too far, but I have two 10" units at my console and a 10" at my bow. At my console I split my left screen between the GPS/lake map and side-scan, and on the right I split standard sonar and down-imaging. I absolutely love my set up! At my bow I have it connected to a Ulterra trolling motor. I just got my network switch replaced under warranty at the end of the season. Up front I was only able to use it for standard sonar due to tech problems. Now that I'm fixed I should be able to use it for all types of sonar plus trolling features such as "go to destination" and "follow the contour."

Not to take us off topic too far, but I have two 10" units at my console and a 10" at my bow. At my console I split my left screen between the GPS/lake map and side-scan, and on the right I split standard sonar and down-imaging. I absolutely love my set up! At my bow I have it connected to a Ulterra trolling motor. I just got my network switch replaced under warranty at the end of the season. Up front I was only able to use it for standard sonar due to tech problems. Now that I'm fixed I should be able to use it for all types of sonar plus trolling features such as "go to destination" and "follow the contour."
Well Shiver-Me-Timbers, sounds like you have a nice system.

Well Shiver-Me-Timbers, sounds like you have a nice system.

That I do! It was all part of my once in a lifetime dream boat purchase.

To veer it back to your original topic, I have a bit of wanderlust in my blood, enjoy taking on challenges, and am a techy. I tend to hit new lakes frequently as opposed to going back to the old tried and true spot. Figuring out the lay of the land and playing with my electroncis is part of the fun for me. My order of business has always been 1) reliable main motor, 2) good electronics, 3) decent trolling motor, and the list goes on. Assuming you have #1 covered, good electronics might be a worthwhile investment. However, I will concede that if you really only need to find those honey holes that you've been hitting over the years, a simple graph could very well serve your purposes just fine.

How much room do you have at the helm? How about a picture. On my rig I have Lowrance 7" units. One a Elite Ti2 7 with the 3 in one transducer and a Hook2 7 Split Shot. On the bow I have a Hook2 5 Split Shot. In my experience the Hook2 units are the easiest to use by far. The placement of your current unit, tells me that "BACK YARD BUBBA" engineering was at work.
DSCN2636.JPG
DSCN2645.JPG

Yep, love the comment, BYB..lol But yes, there was a lot of stupid decisions as to placement. I don't have a lot of room at the helm. oh well, I guess I can get it worked out. Thanks for the suggestions. My wife, (the admiral, loves to fish, so I call her the "Happy Hooker"), likes where it is placed. She turns it just a tad so she can see it better.
DSCN0737.JPG

I would look at various RAM mounts to mount your new unit at the helm. My 2000 Bayliner Capri had the same type of console. I used a RAM mount on the install, I was able to mount the locater in a way I could see it almost right in front of me. Check out the Lowrance Hook2 7 Reveal Split Shot with the preloaded charts. It's so easy to use, preloaded with the most popular lake charts in the USA, You can also purchase chips to expand yo lake coverage.
Looking at your console...I would relocate the horn button and install the RAM mount there.

I would look at various RAM mounts to mount your new unit at the helm. My 2000 Bayliner Capri had the same type of console. I used a RAM mount on the install, I was able to mount the locater in a way I could see it almost right in front of me. Check out the Lowrance Hook2 7 Reveal Split Shot with the preloaded charts. It's so easy to use, preloaded with the most popular lake charts in the USA, You can also purchase chips to expand yo lake coverage.
Looking at your console...I would relocate the horn button and install the RAM mount there.
Wow thanks, I never thought about the horn button, looks like it may work

Latest posts

Back