Help with tires please..

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg plunkett

Reaction score
My tires on my 2011 z6 tralier are wore out. The trailer only has about a 1000 miles on it. I had read on here a while back about some goodyear brand tires that you guys were bragging about, does anyone know which tires they were. And does anyone have any other suggestions on what tire to get that will last longer.

thanks

You're thinking of Goodyear Marathon trailer tires. Haven't used them myself, just heard mostly good things about them.

,,,,and there is no reason for your tires to be toast after only 1000 miles. Better find out what the real problem is. Give more info. How were they worn? Were they balanced?

TOXIC

i think it was an air presure issue and that Tracker also told me that the tires that come on those trailers are junk lol.

Look, if you are fessing up to some really under-inflated/over-inflated tires, so be it. But don't listen to someone who tells you those tires on the trailer were crap. may not be the best tires, but they can get more than 1000 miles.

Marty, those "Trail America" tires are crap. Mine lasted a whopping ~4k before they were severely cupped and the cords were showing on one tire. I keep them inflated properly so thats wasnt my issue. I switched to Good Year Marathons and i have a lot more then 4k on them and they still look like new with no cupping.

Greg, the Good Years are good tires. I have had them on my last three trailers and i have always had great service from them. I have never had as problem that wasnt caused by some outside influence like a nail etc. One thing i make sure of is i get the USA made ones. I have heard the China made ones arent too good but like i said the USA made ones have given me great service.

Well, I freely admit that I bought the only Nitro bass boat ever made without problems of some sort from boat to trailer, stem to stern, port to starboard. I am not badmouthing the Marathon tires to be sure, as that is what is on my trailer now. I would just hate to see that guy ruin new Marathons if there is really another issue.

well i just got back from dealer, they check the axle and said everything was good just that i under inflated the tires. Whatever the case might be i am going tomorrow to get new marathons on and i will just see. Going to all the tournaments i go to and all i see is marathons so im going to give um a try and there a radial which is what i want. I will let you guys fight it out and let you know how my new radials work out..

The Trail America tires are junk. I had one as a spare that I was forced to use. It was new and lasted about 150 miles before it blew out. I've never been impressed with Marathons either, I am currently using Carlyles with good results so far.

Steve

Still 1,000 miles on a set of trailer tires? I ran my little utility trailer more than that and overloaded to boot and got more than 1000 miles out of the tires. If I remember correctly underinflation causes the outside edges to wear correct? I still think they had to be a 2psi to only go 1000 miles. And if it is a new trailer there is is a warranty on the tires no? I agree with Marty, if he burns up a set of Marathons in 2,000 then shame on somebody for not setting him straight!!

TOXIC

I just changed out a set of Marathons on my Z7 trailer, 2 years and no idea how many miles(I keep it on the road a lot) I run 48 PSI, the left tire was worn on the outside and the right was worn on the inside, the middle still had good tread. I bought a new set of Marathons, don't think I can blame the tire for the wear.

I've had great luck with Marathons and keep them at 50 psi. The key is to get in the habit of checking them regularly because most tire issues are related to incorrect pressure.

I've got at 2009 Nitro Z-7 I puchased in 2010. I probably have about 2000 miles on my original tires (Trail America). Soon after I bought it, I was filling up at the gas station and noticed severe cracks on the sidewall of one tire. I called BPS and they replaced it without question. About a week ago I noticed the tire they replaced with an new one had started to crack. I'm not talking about tiny cracks in the side wall. You can stand back from the tires and see them plain as day. I do know I'll be changing out both tires before this season.

Jim and Chaz your experiences are similar to mine and others. If you google search that brand they dont have a very good reputation on the RV sites either.

I believe my issue was caused by a balance issue, or for lack of better terms the inability to balance them. Mine has a visible wobble in them as well and try as they might my local tire shop could not balance them. The wheels were ok it was a tire issue. The marathons i have no they had no issue balancing and i could feel the difference on the first tow. Three seasons later they are still good as new.

BTW Marty, other then those tires my Z7 and the trailer it rides on has been terrific and virtually problem free.

Since this turned into a tire thing, is there anything wrong with putting a car tire's on..... are the rims on boat trailers size for size smaller?

Passenger tires have softer sidewalls to improve handling. You don't want soft sidewalls on a trailer.

Trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls for load carrying. If you run a trailer tire at a low PSI you will definately have cracking and blowouts as the tire cannot handle the heat that the flexing sidewall will create.

Try bending a thing piece of hard plastic back and forth. Just before it breaks put your finger on the bend area. It will be considerably hotter than the rest. That is what your sidewall does with low pressure...

Guys,

Have a look at my photo's and particularly the tires, I got 500 miles out of mine at the correct pressures. They are the worst tires I have ever seen. Sent Tracker the photo's and chased up a response. Eventually they respoded first that it was due to under inflation, crap! Then they listened to the details and my photos and never heard back again. That was August last year. My tires wore out on the boats maiden trip, approx 500 miles!!

I replaced them with Yokohamas, done approx 4,000 since with next to no sign of wear and 90% reduction in trailer bounce.

I have some surface cracking on my stock tires but are good to go ceptin that. I will put Goodyear Marathons on when these go. I had them on my Nitro trailer and they are IMHO simply the best. Gotta have the raised white letters too.

fatrap

Has anybody had any experiences with Maxxis trailer tires? I have read many good reviews on these tires.

thommo59 that is just like my tires in your pictures. im getting my marathons today and hope i can get more life out of them.

fatrap, unless they just went back to making the Marathons in white letter you can't get them, or I should say 2 months ago when I got my new set they weren't making them.

Latest posts

Back