Help With Pedestals Appreciated.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel Pierce

Reaction score
I have a 1996 986 Savage that I bought last year. I'm not able to remove either one of the pedestals. I know some have threaded post at the bottom and some just sit in the floor plate. My question is, how would I be albe to tell the difference. They won't twist and I've about pulled up so hard, I thought I was going to pass out. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have a 1996 986 Savage that I bought last year. I'm not able to remove either one of the pedestals. I know some have threaded post at the bottom and some just sit in the floor plate. My question is, how would I be albe to tell the difference. They won't twist and I've about pulled up so hard, I thought I was going to pass out. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

It is possible that you have the screw in type. However, I suspect that either the pedestal has some corrosion or, the wrong size was put in with force.
Either way, the first thing I would try is to use a penetrating oil (liberally), and let it sit for 30 or so minutes. Try again after. Be aware that some need to be pulled perfectly straight up.
Also, check any other pedestal you may have in place. If it comes out, that should tell you what type the stuck one likely is.
You may also want to try a long handled pipe wrench. Turning it even if it isn't a threaded pedestal should help free it. Caution. don't put too much force with the pipe wrench!
Good luck!

After applying penetration oil you might gently tap the pedestals to help the oil penetrate.

Do you have the black push button to release near the bottom? If so, tape it in with electrical tape and use a strap wrench to turn the pedestal and release. Once out wipe all the rust/dirt/oil/etc., out of the hole and use emory paper to clean it up. If all else fails a rag wrapped around the pedistal with the release taped down and a big pipe wrench will get it to move but most likely will ruin the pedestal in the process.

Latest posts

Back