Help...what is this? 2013 Nitro Z8

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavesMatthew76

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Z8, and I am currently replacing batteries. During the process I decided to open up the battery shelf and found water in a small area near the drain plug. This small area sits a bit lower than the bilge, so water seems to accumulate here...and its lower than the drain plug as well. It would make more sense if the bilge was in that location, however, there is a small relay/transformer/controller in that spot. Anyone know what it is and if I can move it? It is glued/epoxied to the floor, but it does not come out of the hull on the bottom. This was a pre-owned boat, and it looks like this area was pretty neglected. Any info would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Attachments

• Pic 2.JPG
    Pic 2.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Pic 1.JPG
    Pic 1.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 49
Yes, that is the transducer for the depth finder unit installed in the boat. It can be removed and replaced if needed. They asre usualy glued to keep air from under the transducer. There has to be a solid floor with no air space under the unit.

Thats right, I have the same boat model and thats where I have the transducer for my console Lowrance unit. Dave can you please post a picture with the transom transducer? I want to install a transducer on my transom but I am not to sure where to place it, some say it should be just beside the motor and some say it should be on the far right corner...where do you have yours? Thank you

Yes, that is the transducer for the depth finder unit installed in the boat. It can be removed and replaced if needed. They asre usualy glued to keep air from under the transducer. There has to be a solid floor with no air space under the unit.
Interesting...Thanks for the response! I currently have aftermarket electronics (Humminbird Solix/Helix) that have their transducers mounted to the transom and the trolling motor. Does that mean I can remove that transducer completely and not put it back?

Interesting...Thanks for the response! I currently have aftermarket electronics (Humminbird Solix/Helix) that have their transducers mounted to the transom and the trolling motor. Does that mean I can remove that transducer completely and not put it back?
I would say if is not hooked to anything, you could remove it.. I don’t know how hard that would be, and if you would damage boat in process? I am sure somebody on this site can help you with that..

I have a 2013 Z8, and I am currently replacing batteries. During the process I decided to open up the battery shelf and found water in a small area near the drain plug. This small area sits a bit lower than the bilge, so water seems to accumulate here...and its lower than the drain plug as well. It would make more sense if the bilge was in that location, however, there is a small relay/transformer/controller in that spot. Anyone know what it is and if I can move it? It is glued/epoxied to the floor, but it does not come out of the hull on the bottom. This was a pre-owned boat, and it looks like this area was pretty neglected. Any info would be greatly appreciated...thanks!
As far as taking the transducer out that’s going to depend on what type of adhesive was used. If it was a two part epoxy you mite just leave it there and remove the wires. If you can’t stop water from getting into the bottom. You could clean the area and raise it with a waterproof silicone sealant or closed foam. Just enough to keep the water from pooling up. Would depend on how much lower hull is.

Back