Help to install a extra battery tray and on board charger for my trolling motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nmorgan83

Reaction score
Hi All,
I just bought my first fiberglass boat. 2020 Nitro z19 sport.
Im wanting to add a extra battery tray and on board charger in the trolling battery compartment, im nervous to drill and screw them in because I can't see the other side.
My question is dose anyone know of there is anything to worry about in the area if on the bottom of the compartment or on the wall towards the back of the boat in the compartment.

Any insight whould be appreciated.
Thanks Neil

my 1995 nitro 160 has both battery boxes and the hold downs for the gas tank screwed to the bottom of the boat on either side of a center bilge .

With a little practice, you can have someone hold their hand where you want to drill (preferably on the opposite side) while you tap with a hammer and find out if it is an ok spot. If still concerned, drill with a very small bit. If it does go thru, you can always fill the hole with something like marine epoxy or Bondo.

Thanks guys,
Im thinking im going to mount everything to the floor of the compartment.
I am pretty sure its got at least 2 inches of foam between the bottom Im going to go with # 10 ss self tapers 3/4 long. Pre drill and fill with marine silicon to make watertight.

See attached picture for location, if any one knows this will be good.
Please let me know.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20210410_131826.jpg
    20210410_131826.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210410_131917.jpg
    20210410_131917.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 40
NMorgan,
What you asre suggesting should be fine. Definitely be sure to seal the screws so water can't intrude the hull. Unless your trays are really thick you can use 1/2' length screws. That's all the floor holding structure that you will have to tap into anyway.

Hey Neil, I am a little late to the party here, but I did install a battery charger and an additional trolling battery in the trolling battery compartment of my 2013 Nitro Z7 Sport last year. Just used 1/2" screws to install extra battery tray and charger to the base of the compartment. Used marine silicone to seal where screws were installed. No worries, no problems, looks good and works great.

Thought I would share a photo of my setup.

Attachments

• Trolling Battery Setup.JPG
    Trolling Battery Setup.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 18
Thanks lwoomer,
Not to late im still holding out, can't work up the nerve to do it yet.
This is helpful I think I'm all clear bit just nervous.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back