Help needed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys I need some help on two issues.

I bought a used 2000 Nitro NX 882 recently. It has a Mercury Optimax 150 and the Lowrance LCX 27c GPS/Sonar.

My first issue I need help with is with the trim system. The previous owner put on a jack plate and the boat is set up for performance and skinny water. I took it out today for teh first time and when I tried to get going and set teh trim, the motor would slowly fall and cause the engine to cavitate and drive the motor down in the water. I could not get teh boat to plane and go over 20 mph. I noticed the engine does not have a tilt pin. One; is the problem with my hydraulics allowing the engine to fall on it's own or does it need a pin to stop it. I called the previous owner and he claims there was no pin there and it never had this problem. (My trust worthiness is another topic) This is the first boat I have owned so this is all new to me.

Second problem:

I have a Lowrance LCX-27c fish finder & mapping GPS.The day I bought the boat we tested the GPS and got the "GPS module not responding" notice. The sonar works great and I could see the trails and way points on the screen showing that the GPS was working before. We checked everything but could not figure it out. I bought the boat anyways and took it home. A friend has the LCX-28c and we tested my cables and receiver on his and it worked fine.

It appears that the unit it not communticating with the receiver or not sending it power when connected in my boat. all the fuses are good, power is coming out of the unit, cables and receiver work on friend's unit. I recently downloaded the version updates for my unit and put them on the unit. The first tiem I turned it on a position was aquired but lost a short time later and have not been able to connect since. I have always been outdoors when trying unit with no obstructions.

Please help I am frustrated beyond belief..Thank you, Tom

It should not leak down and there is no pin. How are you driving the boat? Are you trying to setup the trim and then go? if you are that could be the issue since the motor will drop the trim down if it up past normal range at rpm over 2k or so. what you need to do is trim in all the way, mash the gas to get up on plane then trim up to gain speed and get the bow out of the water. The trim isnt a set it and forget it deal you need to change it contstantly depeding on speed, rom and conditions. You may want to havve someone that is experienced with bassboats go out with you and see how it does. If it leaks down under notmal operation you may need to have the trim pump rebuilt.

btw a 8" jack was standard equipment on the 882.

As far as the electronics go the message you are seeing means you arent getting power to the nema 2000 bus. I would look at the power wire and make sure the nema 2000 power wires are connected properly and grounded properly. You could also hae a faulty power wire( that had happened to me before)

Thanks Jim,

I tried everyting with the trim issue. I started off from every position and the engine just dug into the water pulling the front end straight up and then cavitating.

I will check the wires again.

Thank you very much,

Tom

you start in only one position....trimmed down all the way. You should be at full throttle. As you get on plane you slowly trim up. Did you take a test drive before you bought? You might want to have the prievious owner take you out.

TOXIC

Tom,

If your nose pulls straight up when you hit the throttle, then your engine is not trimmed down near enough. I would advise trimming down while it's on the trailer and seeing where it stops. You should see it seat all the way into the mount and the foot should actually be toward the front of the boat and not perpendicular to the ground or even pointing backwards...........good luck.

JP

Latest posts

Back