Help me put together a "basic" tool kit

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
I've been looking for a tool kit which would give me the basics needed to do emergency on-the-water repairs.

What would you suggest carrying along? Do any of you have stories about that "one" tool you wished you would have had along, or that one tool or item that saved the day?

(I could tell you a story, from long before I owned a boat, about fixing a Super Beetle with the spring out of a ball point pen, but it belongs on a different board.)

Mark

"Little kids, and cordless drills, and boats DON'T MIX!"

Mark,

I have a small plastic tool box that I keep in the underseat storage compartment that has a box and open end wrench set, some screwdrivers, spare fuses for my electronics and motor, a small air horn, some krimp type electrical connectors, side cutter, pliers, spark plug socket and wrench, spare spark plugs, electrical tape, duct tape.

I carry a spare prop and a prop wrench also.

For some reason I carry a quart of motor oil just in case.

Don't ask why, but add a lighter too! You never know, plus super-glue!

I have a small 1/4" & 3/8" drive socket set that I "culled" so that I am carrying only those sizes that are actually found on my boat.....plus a couple of extensions...the whole kit was $5.99 from Wally World and takes up little space...also a good item is the adjustable wrench from Vise-Grip that actually hold nuts...not a regular set of vise grips...(although a set is handy)...needle nose pliers ae readilyavailable on the deck... a crescent wrench...a good slide lock plier (med size) one of those four way srewdrivers...three smaller sized hose clamps...some zip wire ties...a roll about 20' of 14 ga wire...some crimp on connectors...spare fuses...plug wrench for socket set...spare plugs...small plug gap gauge...a small hammer...electrical tape...duct tape...hose repair tape...wd40...a set of small jumper cables...a flashlight and spare batteries...a spare bearing buddy for the trailer...a trailer jack (cuz the truck jack doesn't work)...folding wheel chocks...a tube of silicon marine sealant...a spare drain plug...waterproof epoxy glue (new every other year)...a butane lighter...2-3 pieces of shrink wrap for wire...spare trailer bulbs...a male female 4 way trailer plug set (to replace a badly corroded or damaged

one...a 6" piece of salvaged fuel line and two pieces of copper tubing already inserted in each end and clamped in place...the anchor chain doubles as a spare safety chain if needed...a comp prop and wrench...one pint of synthetic marine oil...first aid kit...safety stuff...

The tools all go into a fairly small tool box even though it sounds like a long list...How long have I been carrying the same evolving tools...well there is still a "shear pin or two for my 1970 vintage OMC that was 5-6 boats back in history...

In the garage...for those way out there trips is a salvaged used but good brain box for my motor..cost $100...(and has never been needed...but it would save 3-4 days of a 6 day vacation if it was needed...learned that the hard way)...

they have given you good stuff for your boat. heres one for your truck. for under 20 dollars sears sells a dolly jack in a carrying case that will fit under your trailer axle even when you have a flat. which can be pretty low. with this and a 4 way lug wrench you can change a flat in less than 20 minutes. works good on your truck also. ever use the jack that comes with new trucks. it can take 20 minutes to get it out,once you figure out where it is. stan

>>a 4 way lug wrench you can change a flat in less than 20 minutes. works good on your truck also. ever use the jack that comes with new trucks. it can take 20 minutes to get it out,once you figure out where it is.<< stan

After the first time I looked at the jack in my truck I immediately checked on my AAA membership to make sure it was still current.

So I make sure I have my AAA card on me at all times and carry a cell phone. I will never change another flat tire again. Cass :)

Mark,

Don't forget a bottle-opener...Corona's are not twist-offs.

Latest posts

Back