Help loading and launching a Nitro185fs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, each time I try to launch or load my Nitro185f&s, the winch rollerstrikes my trolling motor mount, almost tearing it off. I have to pick up on the front of my boat, so it clears the bow roller. My local bass pro dealer says, I'm backing the trailer in too deep, but it seems like launching shallower, will only make the boat contact the bow roller, more. I have thought about cutting off the base of the wench support to make it and the bow roller shorter, but it's a nitro trailer on a nitro boat, so it shouldn't require cutting and welding the trailer to make it work. I checked my trailer pads, they are not adjustable. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated ,
Thanks, Mach!
I had the same issue with my Z8 2013, I was paying to much attention to the fenders, as we all know lakes raise up and down as well as ramp pitches are not the same, I started watching the front of my bunks, as long as the front end if the bunks are out of the water about 12 to 16 inches the front of hour boat should slide up and not hit, b saf, and God Bless America

You are probably in a little too deep like mentioned above. These trailers are made for us to drive up on. I usually look out the side mirror and when the water level hits the small step in front of the fender, I stop there and let the boat coast up till it stops and drive the boat up the last 2 or 3 feet. Don't forget to
have the motor trimmed up some.

Yes, would love to see your mods, Cub. I agree I may be backing in too far, but ramps come in all different lengths and angles. I dont think the boat should ever make hard contact with the roller, regardless of the ramp or water depth.

I have a 1997 700LX that does the same thing. Most for the time I have to "walk" the boat onto the trailer then winch it on. A few of the boat ramps I frequent have a steep pitch to them making the nose of the boat go under the roller. Most ramp locations will not allow you to power load on to the trailer.

Ok guys i measured from my boat at the loop to my trailer and it is 19" i will post some pictures later if i can. Yesterday i also loaded my boat for the second time with out problems top of fenders out of water. I think my problems are fixed. Cub 48

Hey cub, I'm not sure I understand where you are making those measurements from. Are you talking about the distance from the steel eye on the bow of the boat, to the winch roller?

In front of the steel eye touch the boat and measure to the trailer mine is 19" it is where the roller touches the boat Cub48 PS I just tried to do some pictures but they won't download off my phone.

Put the tape on boat between the roller and eye measure strait down to the boat trailer should be 19" that is what mine is after i cut mine off. Yours should be about 20 1/2" Cub48 I will PM You

I have an 04 Nitro 188 sport and it does the same thing. I find its worse when the ramp is really steep. I have to make sure I don't back up too far. I find when I'm watching it in and I notice that the front of the boat is too low, I lock the winch, pull out a foot or so when I see the front tilt up a bit, stop and then winch the rest of the way. Mine does the same and has never really been an issue.

USNFC If you want to send me a PM with your cell number i will send pictures i tried to download off phone but won't do for some reason or if anyone else wants them. So for i have not had any problems since i modified my post i have not had any problems loading. I have loaded 10 or more times. I personally think they are welding the bunks too low but it was easier to lower the roller post than raise the bunks. That is if you have access to a welder. Cub48

How far back into the water and the ramp angle work for- or against you. The tendancy is to back the trailer too deep. I'll bet a little practice with a shallow entry will cure the problem..

Didn't on mine, I tried that one day when the ramp was slow. Had fender top just at top of water rub rail centered roller and pushed truck up LOL . Backed in again with tires topped of water ran boat on stopped before it got to the roller pulled it up on with strap hit rub rail but pulled it up and over the rail. The last four boats i owned i could put top of fenders at water level and drive it to roller hook the strap up tighten. Since i lowered the roller post it loads like it supposed to. Cub48

I loaded my boat yesterday and it did like it was supposed to. i had the fender top sticking out of the water lined up like i normally do and with motor trimmed it ran all the way to the loop and stopped. I had drilled another hole and cut off where the roller was at which was about a 1/2" but that didn't help so i carried my post to a buddy that had a band saw so we sawed 1 1/2" out i took the piece that we cut out and cleaned paint off cut it in half and trimmed it so it would fit inside of post that way i could move move post up and down I put post in position and moved it up until it just touched the boat with no pressure i had about a 1/4 " low after i welded i could space it up if i needed to. I think the 1 1/2" would of been about right if i had not lowered the roller so i would try that you can set the post up on the trailer before you weld it to make sure it fits right. I didn't want too much clearance so it would be putting the boat under pressure on the bunks. The 1/4" was ok as the boat settled down and was setting on the roller when i got to the river. I will update as i use the boat more.
Do you have any pictures to share?

Do you have any pictures to share?
I can send you the ones on my phone I tried to download load on my pc but they would not pm me your cell number and I will send pictures mine works great now that I lowered winch pole I have owned boats for 45 years but when something not made right no matter where I backed in it was too high

I can send you the ones on my phone I tried to download load on my pc but they would not pm me your cell number and I will send pictures mine works great now that I lowered winch pole I have owned boats for 45 years but when something not made right no matter where I backed in it was too high

Can you email them to me?
[email protected]

Latest posts

Back