HELP! I've got a hole in my lower unit!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
Last night, I noticed what looked like a nick in the front of my 150 XR6's gear casing, just above the "bullet" for the gears and prop. I took a flashlight and looked closer, and saw that it is a small hole in the casing, right along the front edge, just below the bottom of the boat.

First, is this supposed to be there? Second, if its not, what should I do about it? And third, if it's supposed to be there, what is it for?

I'm concerned that a rock flew up and put a crack in that casing that isn't supposed to be there.

Mark

Mark,

Don't worry, it's supposed to be there...I don't know what it's for though...somebody else will, I'm sure.

this is probably your speedometer port. i have them on my merc and my mariner.it should be about 3/32 in diameter. stan

ITS TRUE, ITS FOR THE SPEEDO.... IF YA EVER HIT A LOG OR

SOMETHING AND GET A CHUNK OF WOOD STUCK IN IT, YOUR SPEEDO WILL NOT WORK

Thanks! I guess it's the equivalent of a pitot tube on an airplane. I kind of suspected it was supposed to be there, since the edges were all still painted black, but it just looked wrong.

You guys also answered the question about how the speedometer works. I couldn't find a paddle, like on a trolling motor, to explain how speed was measured.

I really appreciate your quick responses!

Mark

Hey, Mark -

The picture you posted a few days ago of the Lake Amphibian - is that your's?

me!

I'm tellin' ya...... DON'T MESS WITH PETITE WOMEN! They get those motherly, protective instincts going and ANY intruder of ANY size is in BIG TROUBLE!

me!

Heck..... Another true "Rena" story you might enjoy......

She wanted to go deer hunting with me....... Since she was so tiny, we went out and bought her a Winchester Model 7 (I think that was their light weight rifle.) chambered in .243 with a 20" barrel. I cut the stock wa-a-ay down for her and added a thick recoil pad to make it comfortable for her. A compact 4x scope went on top. To lessen any recoil, I loaded some 65 grain boattails for her use.

Once the rifle and the ammo were ready, we headed out to the firing range to sight it in and give her some practice.

I zeroed it in at 50 yards then turned it over to her to shoot at 100........

First 3 shots....... A 3/4" group! That lady had nerves of steel! Her reaction when she first viewed it through the scope: "Scottie....... I only see one hole........ I'm no good at this....... I must've missed the target completely with the other two......."

We framed that target - with red construction paper behind the holes!

me!

Scott:

Wow. 3/4 of an inch is tight. My dad re-built a Springfield 1903 .30-06 into a deer/elk rifle for me that groups pretty good, but not 3/4 of an inch.

I've got a vintage AR-15A1 with a 4X that groups pretty tight. Rena would probably enjoy shooting it because the recoil spring in the butt stock eliminates almost ALL of the recoil. My wife doesn't like long rifles, but she really enjoys that one.

Did you get out this past deer season? You can answer here, or we can talk guns via e-mail too.

Mark

No, I didn't, Mark...... I haven't done much hunting of any kind for about the last 8 or 10 years......... There's something about having 2 heart attacks and a quintuple bypass....... I've lost my desire to kill anything. Life of any kind seems just a little too valuable to me now......

Now, don't get me wrong - I am definately not against hunting. I'm very much a proponent. It's just not for me any more........ I still love to shoot - but killing soda cans is a big enough thrill for me these days!

Some of the most wonderful times in my life have been in the outdoors hunting, fishing, camping and canoeing...... I wouldn't trade them for anything and hope to have the opportunity to enjoy many, many more of those days!

Hope you got yourself a trophy buck!

me!

Latest posts

Back