Hello From Upstate N.y. Funny Summer Here Is New York....rain, Rain, And More Rain

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Mariano

Reaction score
My question to the forum is about my 2003 Tracker Avalanche DC. I have read many posts already and have received a load of information already. Great Posts mean similarly shared problems or concerns with the boat.
My Tracker is a great boat. I love it, but I don't like the steering (non-Hydraulic) and the 115 HP Mercury four stroke EFI. I know realize that this rig is WAY under powered for my purposes. I would very much like some ideas on how I can RELATIVELY reduce the cost while improving these two problems. I know upgrading to a 135 or 150 HP is no cheap matter, nor is Hydraulic steering inexpensive. What would you do, if money was not prohibitive? Another prop at a different pitch? My vengeance prop is 19 degrees. A stabilizer? A jack plate? Thanks for any and all your suggestions.

Are you getting close to redline RPM with the existing prop?

1) Cheapest solution: Make sure the running surface of the boat and motor are as clean and smooth as possible. Prop, too, if its dinged or scarred.

2) Next cheapest solution: Get a four blade prop that lets you run close to the RPM redline. Aluminum or stainless. Either will work. I've stated this before on the site: You loose a little top end, but a four blade makes a boat feel quicker because of how much better it launches and accelerates. Handles better, too. It doesn't substitute for hydraulic boosted steering, bit it will handle more evenly.

Latest posts

Back