Helix 7 won't acknowledge the LakeMaster Card?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a recently purchased Helix 7, chart, SI DI unit that runs in conjunction with the i pilot link system and that works fine. I purchased the Lake Master card for my area but the unit doesn't respond to the card at all when I place it in the slot. I'm doing the physical install correctly. I have looked up a few discussions and determined that the Helix model is compatable with the particular card i bought. This unit has only one card slot. Anyone out there dealt with this issue?

I have the same setup on mine. Once I installed the card, all I had to do is go into the chart setup and make sure it was one of the choices. I am sure you did that already. If that did not work, you likely have a bad SD card. It is a shame that HB requires a card in each unit and will not share on the network. I had to buy two cards for my Z18. Each card was recognized once I installed them in the slot.

CD Ford,

I had to go back and install a basic sofware update and reinstall the basemap as instructed. I followed this by putting the lakemaster card into the unit but I'm not seeing any kind of choice where I can select the card in the setting menu. Can you describe exactly where to look. I have an Idea that my unit is stll not acknowleding the lakemaster card. I think the reader and system is ok after having successfully completing the two updates needed first.

I did a little research and found a few things that may help. Please excuse if all this is obvious to you ... I just wanted to be thorough :)
1. According to the Lakemaster manual, you must have software version 7.460 or later for it to work.
2. For the Lakemaster card to display anything, you must either have a GPS signal, or have your unit in Simulator mode. You can choose Simulator mode during power up. I actually had that problem when I installed mine last year. I was in the garage with no GPS.
3. In the charts menu, tab down and make sure it says “auto” instead of base map
4. If the upper left side of the screen says “NO Card”, then you either have not pushed it in all the way until it clicks, or the card is bad.
5. Also make sure the SD card is locked in the read only mode. This is a small tab on the side of the card on the left side if the SD card label is facing you. This tab should be in the down position.

I did a little research and found a few things that may help. Please excuse if all this is obvious to you ... I just wanted to be thorough :)
1. According to the Lakemaster manual, you must have software version 7.460 or later for it to work.
2. For the Lakemaster card to display anything, you must either have a GPS signal, or have your unit in Simulator mode. You can choose Simulator mode during power up. I actually had that problem when I installed mine last year. I was in the garage with no GPS.
3. In the charts menu, tab down and make sure it says “auto” instead of base map
4. If the upper left side of the screen says “NO Card”, then you either have not pushed it in all the way until it clicks, or the card is bad.
5. Also make sure the SD card is locked in the read only mode. This is a small tab on the side of the card on the left side if the SD card label is facing you. This tab should be in the down position.
CDFord,
Much appreciated- couple of things i need to check on- I don't see a download for software version that high 7.460 on HB's website for Helix 7?
Didn't know about the GPS signal being an issue..
I need to check that "TAB"
Really appreciate the info- this might get me clear. Thanks!

I seem to recall having an issue when I first installed my Lakemaster card, but I’ll be damned if I can remember what it was. Whatever it was, I don’t recall it being too severe since it’s been working for over a year now.

My Helix 7 was bought new in January and is the side image G2 (N) version. The highest number update I can find is under 3.0 for for this unit. I see that lakemaster shows you need 7.4. I can only assume that the my unit won't run the lakemaster card?? Any info on this situation would be apprecaited. I recently updated the software including the new basemap but I'm no where near the 7.4 range of updates. What am I missing?

The Hummingbird website claims that Lakemaster cards work in all Helix units, regardless of Generation. I suspect your card may be bad. I mentioned the software version earlier under the bad assumption you had a G3 like me. I would suggest calling HB customer support and making sure you have a good card. I have heard people getting bad cards before.

I installed lakemaster card in my helix 7 had a similar issue, found that I had to use a small object to get the card inserted all the way, if you can remove the card without pushing it in before pulling it out, it is not all the way seated.

Thanks Scotty,

I'll double check that, Thanks for the tip. My other cards used for update have worked fine but this could be an issue for sure. The unit clearly just doesn't see the Lakemaster card from some reason. It may just be a bad card.... I'll be at Toledo Bend Lake for the BIg Bass Splash in mid May so I sure would like to get this figured out before then..

Larry,
If you determine the card was/is properly seated and have done all the above, I would be inclined to conclude that your LakeMaster card is faulty and should be returned. Have you called HB?
I hope you get it resolved before the Big Splash.
Take care and have a great weekend. Hopefully I can get out and fish in Florida this weekend.

Was HB Customer Service able to help you?
I didn't call them yet- if I can determine that the first on is bad- I'll be able to get my money back. The one I have coming today is from Amazon. I can get a refund from them easily. It should work out ok and hopefully I have it up and running for next week...

The new card arrived yesterday and I was able to install it- I think. I see an option on the Map menu now called HB Legacy? My boat is in the garage. I think I read somewhere that you have to have the satellite links to be able to see detail mapping?? In the garage I can get to an outline map of Toledo Bend with notv detail. Can anyone confirm that seeing the Legacy option is what I should be looking at? The first card I had was version 3 this new one is a version 5...

I just went and looked at my Helix 7 and saw "Hummingbird Legacy" in the map source. Mine (G3) gives me the option to choose "Auto" which is what my unit is set to.
To check to see if the card works in the garage where you have no GPS signal, quickly choose the "Choose menu to set up startup options", then choose "Simulator mode". This will allow you to view your map without GPS.

You can also go into the Hummingbird map tab and scroll down until you see "Lake List", then choose any lake on the list if everything is working correctly.

BTW ... to get to "Simulator mode", you will have to do this during the power up sequence on your HB. Once you press the on button, your first option screen will ask you to press "menu" to choose startup options. Just pick "Simulator mode". You will have to get out of simulator mode once you are able to get GPS link.

Latest posts

Back