Heart attack???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
WOW, close call yesterday. Last week I had another bi-annual follow up stress echo at my new cardiologist's. Old one moved to Germany....traitor! LOL

Anyhow, last Monday I set a record at that facility for the best stress echo they had ever seen. To put it in perspective, I was well into stage 6 of the test. Most men my age only get to 4. Most high school track athletes only get into the higher stages of 5. Before I was finished nearly the entire office was in there watching me. The doc was super pleased and said I need no surgery for some time. My heart was exceeding 100% maximum efficiency. OMEGA 3 RULES!!!

He had only one concern and that was he wanted to get my pressure down a little. It's not high mind but actually low. But since my ventricle is not dialated (another good thing) he wanted to artifically dialate it just a little to give the heart some relief. So he doubled my blood pressure medicine. I was on the min, 10mg, but he had me go up to 20mg. "You won't see ANY side effects." he says!

Fast foward to yesterday morning. I was out in my shop sand blasting the POS Bravada for her new paint job, feeling just peachy. I go inside to take a shower. I was shaving in the shower so I had been in a little longer than usual and the water got a little too hot apparently. All of sudden I started to feel kinda funny....a LOT funny. Acutally not funny at all.

My vision got real funky. I was seeing lights and everything got bright. I got REAL dizzy and my hearing got weird. Everything seemed louder but muffled....if that makes sense. Then....down I went. I wasn't unconscious but damn near it. I was fighting for all I was worth to stay conscious. I called to my wife and she hardly heard me. She didn't think anything was wrong so took a few minutes to come in, but when she saw me she flipped. I had her turn off the water and she called the Dr. I told her not to call 911 I thought (in my "GREAT" mental state) that it would pass. Turns out it did, but anyway. When I looked down at my chest my heart was literally heaving and my heart was beating nearly out of my chest and irregularly. My wife noticed it too. She said later she could see it all the way up into my neck.

I managed to crawl into my den and lay down on the couch. I tried to regulate my breathing and eventually I regained my composure.

I didn't want an ambulance so I had my wife drive me to the ER. 8 hours later (they forgot a bunch of us....good thing in a heart situation huh?) the highly educated ER Dr. came too the same conslusion I did. The increased med along with the hot shower (caution with hot showers and STAY OUT of hot tubs if you have heart problems) caused my blood pressure to drop rapidly and into a dangerous zone. My hearts wasn't able to supply my brain with enough blood so I got dizzy and nearly fainted. My body sensing that increased my heart rate, but given the issues, my heart couldn't deliver and so kept pumping harder and faster.

To make a long story...well a little less long. I'm fine today and am following up with both of MY doctors but if you take any sort of inhibitor medicines that either drop your blood pressure or thin you blood, be VERY careful of anything that can magnify it like hot tubs, alcohol, caffeine, etc. I actually thought I was having a heart attack yesterday and so did my wife.

Really makes you sit back and think about what's REALLY important in your life.

You know, If I was your Mother I'd slap you silly:) You should have called 911, PERIOD! They could have regulated your heart right there and you wouldn't have waited in the Hospital waiting room and NOBODY would have forgotten you! I read a paper a couple of years ago from Johns Hopkins stating the statistics of how many MEN die becuase they are embarrased to call 911.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're ok Rob.. Just next time call 911.

Bill

Dayum son!! Sounds like you had a close call. Thanks for the warning. I take Plavix, Toprol XL, and Avapro. I don't take exessivly hot showers or drink much but I do love my coffee and the stronger the better.

Stay healthy dude.

Harpo

Glad to hear your alright. That really could have turned into something more serious. I already know your hearts strong. You'd have never survived the walk I took you on the farm if it wasn't. Hang in there buddy fishing seasons coming and I'm looking forward hooking up with you and taking you out fishing this spring. Jim

Glad to hear you're OK. I'm on two meds to lower blood pressure, but my doctor hasn't said anything about hot tubs/showers/etc. I think I'll print this and ask him about it just to be safe.

Rob,

Glad you are okay buddy... I have had some experience with meds reacting badly...

See you this summer or fall.. We are driving up to Watertown to visit family and you can bet you will see my sorry old ugly face...

Having to take a shower after my wife and daughter use it I don't have to worry about hot water. Anyway Rob that's scary as hell. If that happens again take the flashing light taxi ride ok? It's hard to fish when your feeding the worms and growing daisies.

fatrap

Glad to hear everything is OK!

Please call 911 next time. If it was an actual heart attack, every second counts!!

Not to scare you, but A colleague of mine died suddenly yesterday. He road his bike to work every day and jogged quite a bit. He was feeling lousy so his wife drove him to the hospital early that morning. He passed out in the elevator at the hospital never to regain consciousness. Maybe things would have been different if he got the medical attention earlier.

Back when I was in my late-30's, on one of my regular visits to my doctor, I had asked him about some breathing difficulties I had every time I cut the grass.....

"Andy," I told him. "I feel like I'm having a heart attack."

"Don't worry about it." He answered. "You're too young to have a heart attack. You're probably just having bronchial spasms. Get yourself a primatene inhaler."

I kept trying the inhaler every time I cut the grass. It didn't help. Twice I blacked out.

At age 41, I had to switch doctors because Andy wasn't on a new insurance program I was enrolled in. I went to my new doctor. He gave me a check-up and pronounced me in excellent physical condition.

"Is there anything else we need to discuss?" He asked at the end of the exam.

"Just these bronchial spasms I've been having, Doctor. I've been using primatene but it hasn't really helped. Can you prescribe something stronger?"

"Bronchial spasms? What bronchial spasm? Have you ever had a stress test?"

To make a long story a bit shorter, several days later I was in the hospital for an angioplasty and then a quintuple (5 vessel) by-pass. At age 41. Those 2 times I had "blacked out" had been heart attacks; by all rights, I should have been dead. My heart muscle had been irreperably damaged.

I have had two heart attacks since then. None have ever been the "clutch at the pain in your heart" sort of thing that we all expect them to be.

I have also been an insulin dependent diabetic since age 10. I'm now 55. Heart disease is the leading killer of diabetics.....

Take care of yourself, Rob.....

me

Dude, you gotta take care of yourself!! If you don't who will?!

BTW - Is your Mom back and how's she doing?

Rob, Scary story, just glad your ok! There are many more smallies for you to catch!!

...EVERYONE...At work I've had someone talk us out of calling 911....we didn't at his request...it just about cost him his life as we waited till it was almost to late to call...

..If you care about someone an sense an emergency ..take charge, make the call, and worry about everything after they are ok!

Mike L.

In the immoratal words of Roy D. Mercer..........

"Do I need to come up there and put a big @ss whoopin on you?"

Stay sharp boy....you can't afford to have crap like this happen!!

TOXIC

Glad to hear you are okay - stay healthy. Still working on the repairs up in Vermont.

Wow, makes you wonder about these medicines and how greatly they affect your body. Sometimes I think these doctors are too smart for thier own good.

Glad to here your OK, and I hope you didn't have on your pink undies when you went to the hospital....LOL

Wolf

Rob - All i'll say is everyone that said "call 911 FIRST" was 100% correct. Long story short, when my dad didn't feel good 20 monts ago (shortness of breath) he called my mom downtown to come back to take him to the Dr. 10 mins later she called him on her cell, and he was still having shortness of breath and a little slurring of words, but he told her he was FINE. 10 min's later she was at the house, and he was on the floor already gone.

IF he had called 911 20 mins earlier he might be alive today.

Trep

Glad all is well Rob (sort of...lol)

Best wishes.

Mini

Thanks guys. I know better now. I was trying to rationalize everything in my already messed up mental state. My wife actually listened to me for once....the one time she should not have! LOL She won't do that again.

Greg and Jim, you'd better get out here this year!

Sooner and Velcro... don't mess around man, get with your doctors. If your pressure drops too low to quickly it can put you into heart failure.

Kind of sux that I can't really even have a beer anymore. I gave up coffee when I got diagnosed, but now BEER too? Man, next thing they'll be telling me is I can't fish. If that's the case, just let me die!

Hope all is well Rob,...hang in there dog!!......but you're right..I'd rather die before I'd give up beer OR fishing!!

Latest posts

Back