Headin' To Anna This Weekend

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Anybody gonna be around?? I have got to get back on some fish!! I have a speaking engagement next Thursday at New Horizons Bass Anglers Club (Fairfax County Government Center) and in addition to some dropshotting tips, they are having their next TX on Anna and will most definatly want some pointers!! I gotta go prospecting!!

TOXIC

Would love to join 'ya. Doing that house for a friend, Would be a good time for you to teach this old dog somemore new tricks! KB

I guess that means no.....LOL. Well, the lake kicked my behind. 5 fish all under the slot....Whew....I gotta stay on these guys!! Rained to beat the band also. I did get to smoke a lake flea. Thought he was somthin special until I introduced him to Mr. 225 screamin Merc!! The look on his face was priceless. Buzzed past me when I was runnin 3/4 throttle. Buzzed past him at WOT!! He couldn't catch up. I owned him!!

TOXIC

Hey You act like i'm avoidin' you man! LOL just got home. Would have love to dodge the rain with ya' today! I hope you didn't get what we got! On vacation next week, gonna be burnin' Buggs up when i get back! How about we get together then? KB

Toxic,

I just got back this evening from a week there. I was hoping to see you on last Monday, but I guess our emails got mixed up. I will connect again soon. Early last week the fishing was good, then it went to heck in a handbag. Had a fun time with the family though. Will post some pics when I finish downloading them.

david.....

Glad someone had fun...I worked my tail off for 5 lousy fish. Ran all over the lake. I got stuck with a honey-do list on Monday.

KB, I'm putting my camping gear together...we have got to do buggs. I like the camping idea.

TOXIC

Tox - Did the same at Anna on Saturday. Hit the water at 0600 and came off at 11:15, just before that big storm hit. Got the boat under wraps and in the garage in the nick of time. I didn't do as well as you and got skunked but probably from staying on the lower end of the lake. Don't like having to run down lake at 70 mph with the rain slammin' in my face.

Tox, I may be back as soon as the 21st, If so i will hit buggs on the 23rd, just for the day. Will be on Buggs the following dates... 30th,6th (if i don't go to the richmond race) 13th is the Jacobs Cup thing,20th (maybe) 27th Federation Tourny 4th of sept. 10-11th is the Fishers of Men Regionals Any of those dates any good? KB

Jeeze KB, how could they not be!! LOL Sounds like you are gonna take up permanent residence there!! I really want to get to know that lake. Carlos does too, sooooo let's wait a little bit and piece it together. I'm waiting for tents to go on sale. Ordered one and it had a manfacturers defect in it...sent it back. I've got a lot more gear than I thought.

And Bill......I LOVE to fish in the rain! LOL It was a little heavy at times (had to pull out the rain jacket) but it sure drives the lake fleas and the pleasure boaters off in a hurry. In all fairness, I did not get to fish my favorite part of the lake this time of year which is midlake (from the 208 bridge to the splits) so, 5 fish might have been pretty good. Saw the Game Wardens out for the first time this year. They were back in Sturgeon Creek bustin bank fishermen. They had a nice new ride..One of those pretty Ranger fiberglass deep v's with the walkthrough windshield. I was throwing around the covered docks waiting for the circus to die down at the ramp. They just looked at my stickers with binoc's and waved. Saw them write a bunch of greeting cards to the bank fishermen though. I'm ready to try your side of the lake here pretty soon!!

TOXIC

Tox - I don't mind fishin' in the rain when it is a slow drizzle. THAT was not a drizzle!!!! Buckets and buckets. Had my Frogg Toggs with me but don't think they would have worked very well. Tried Sturgeon Creek first thing in the morning and found nothing. Guess the boat police weren't up that early. I have seen them two or three times with their new rig. Have not been stopped or questioned even though they came right by my rig real slow on one ocassion. Down lake was quiet and no one was bank fishing at Dike 3 (big surprise). Tried about everything; topwater, spinners (lg and sm), rattletraps, cranks, t-rigged, c-rigged, drop-shot with Senko. Nothing seemed to work. Kinda wished I stopped at Elk Creek and picked up some nightcrawlers and some minnows 'cause I can always pick up the catfish in one of my honey-holes. Saw lots on the fishfinder in 25-40 feet right off Dike 2 but even the drop-shot couldn't get to them. Oh, well. Soon as I get the next kitchen pass I'll let you know and we can hit the side where they glow at night and have three and four eyes. Water temp on hot side is running in the high 90s, almost 85 at the dam on the cold.

Ya know, I've been thinking about those elevated temps on your side. It just might make them easier to pattern. Have you tried a dropshot rig yet? Bass in Florida have to take that type of water temp.....They still feed on the banks early and late and find "holes" in the afternnon, then back up to the banks again in the pm. I can't wait to give it a shot!! My curisoity is peaked.

Maybe some of the Florida guys can give us some tips on how they pull them out of bathwater!!

TOXIC

Tox - Only recently went to the dropshot and have not tried it on the hot side. I agree that they are at the banks in the morning and evening and seem to move out around 10-11 and then back in around early evening. Nice thing about the hot side is you don't have the amount of boat traffic as the cold and the big boats have a tendency to stay in the main sections of the lake off dike 1 and 2. Some nice coves to get into the other side of the canal running over to dike three. Some good fall downs and they began to put some structure in. Thinking about the the 23rd. Does that look good for you. Gotta check the honey-do list but think I can convince the boss. Let me know.

I can't believe you got rain on Saturday. I was on the hot side until about 5:30pm and we only saw a few sprinkles up until then. Caught catfish the last few days of the week, but didn't see any bass from Wed on. We have a hole right off our dock that was always good for several bass a day and even they stopped hitting. However, here is my daughter with her 1st catfish.
2003_0805_SCat.JPG

And then we had to find something to bide our time, so we build a raft. The wife thinks that Huck Finn's raft had to be sturdier.
2003_0807_Motley Crew.JPG

And what evening wouldn't be complete without a small campfire.....

Marshmallos anyone?
2003_0806_Marshmello.JPG

A picture of me and the little one looking for good fish structure in the shallows.
2003_0805_D&SKayak.JPG

NO RAIN????? You mean to tell me that at about 2pm you didn't get totally dumped on on the other side of the dike!?!? I mean it let loose!! Only for about 1/2 hour but it really rained. That was at midlake. You had to have gotten some. I'm gonna feel real stupid if I sat in a 500 yard rainstorm!!LOL

TOXIC

We had a moderate to light rain when I drove to the dump in the morning (before 12), but nothing to write home about. Then the kids were playing in the sand and on the raft until we packed out about 5:30. Had a huge downpour on Friday that squelched all plans of a bonfire that night.

Which lake were you really on Toxic?!

david......

David / Toxic,

Well since I am in Both Waters maybe the rain I saw was on the cold side and if I went on the other side it wouldn't have been raining. I know it came down in buckets for about 30 minutes. Was a little more than 500 yards. LOL Glad I wasn't on the lake when it hit. As far as it being haunted, you may be right! Too many strange things happen like NOT catching fish.

Had me goin there for a minute. I mean it DUMPED!! I was fishing a covered dock and some teenagers were cowering under the roof and I said to them "You guys think it's gonna rain today?". If I had heard one, just one thunderboomer, I'd a headed for the barn lickety-split!! Thank heavens for bilge pumps. I did get the carpet cleaned!!

TOXIC

Yeah, isn't Stephen King writing a book about Anna- "The Toxic Lives Within" ? LOL

I'm sorry, but it just didn't dump on us. I guess it just went around us.

There was a different time when I have left the house when it was sunny and dry at the mailbox, but when I get to Elk Creek store it looks like a mini tornado came through.

david....

"Small campfire", eh, David? Around here, you build a "small campfire" like that and you'll have a football team, cheerleaders, and a few hundred people around it! =^) Looks like a great, relaxing trip. We didn't get out for our annual camping trip this year - miss it!

At least they stopped with the no-burn restrictions. We have had enough rain for three years. The dam is working overtime taking the water out.

With respect (or lack thereof) of Toxic, it just came to me that he has shortened his name. He was that guy from New Jersey who was plunged into toxic waste and became the super-hero "THE TOXIC AVENGER". No wonder he likes Lake Anna so much. Probably sits in his Nitro just off from the power plant and absorbs all that toxic radiation. He's my hero, painted toe nails and all. LOL!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back