HB 898C HDSI

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Major Mark

Reaction score
decided (with wife's green light) to pick up one for Halloween to myself...also got the optional high speed transducer, Y splitter cable, and Ram mount. Shame boat is put away until April '14..LOL

I am wondering though why there aren't any instructions for mounting...quick start manual, operations, etc CD with pdf files on it, and side imaging DVD were in the box, but nothing for installation instructions

Attachments

• Humminbird 3.jpg
    Humminbird 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 363
I'm considering going with a humminbird in the near future, what's the benefit of the high speed transducer? Does it just pick up bottom better at high speed?

I recently bought the same unit without the extras as I wanted a transducer that worked the SI from inside the hull but it doesn't exist. The HD SI/DI transducer works well on the transom but only at idle. You're right about install instructions, mine had none either but don't be concerned the wiring to power is super basic and the rest is a plug in. The transducer has a template for drilling the transom and there's plenty of videos on the net otherwise.

I recently bought the same unit without the extras as I wanted a transducer that worked the SI from inside the hull but it doesn't exist. The HD SI/DI transducer works well on the transom but only at idle. You're right about install instructions, mine had none either but don't be concerned the wiring to power is super basic and the rest is a plug in. The transducer has a template for drilling the transom and there's plenty of videos on the net otherwise.
Oh and by the way, buy yourself a screen protector for a tablet from any phone shop or online then trim it to fit your screen. They are like a couple bucks and you won't get a scratched screeen.

I'm considering going with a humminbird in the near future, what's the benefit of the high speed transducer? Does it just pick up bottom better at high speed?

For a high performance fiberglass hull, a shoot-thru 2D transducer is the best installion for the imaging technology units.
The AS SIDB Y cable is what is used to connect the SI transducer and the shoot-thru 2D transducer to the display.

all my research told me the SI ducer will lose bottom over about 6mph so the high speed is utilized for high speed navigation/depth purposes. That was confirmed by the dealer. I watched a few videos on ducer installation, but all refer to a template which I don't seem to find. On HB's site I found in the manuals section that the owner's manual for 900 series units has detailed installation info, just nothing for a 800 series. Guess I find that a little odd. Shouldn't be any difference between the 900s & the 898 as far as basic install so I'll follow those I guess. I sent an email off to HB to see what they'll tell me. Now if I hadn't already put boat away until April, I'd have a project for the weekend..LOL. All told, I'm delighted..I got the 898 setup, optional ducer, Y splitter, and Ram mount for $1000 !!

gotta love great customer service! Already got a return email from Humminbird about installation.

Thank you for contacting Humminbird. We appreciate your interest in our products. We do apologize that you did not get the installation guide with your new unit but we will be sending one out to you.

:)

Wayne are you saying that I can get a shoot thru hull trans that will show my HD DI at high speed or really just depth using Switchfire?

Wayne are you saying that I can get a shoot thru hull trans that will show my HD DI at high speed or really just depth using Switchfire?

For a Side Imaging unit, the SI transducer has to be externally mounted. You can split off the 83/200 kHz 2D crystal (Switchfire) and install the shoot-thru XP 9 20 if you have a suitable hull using the AS SIDB Y cable.

A Side Imaging transducer does not have a DI crystal. The DI image is computer generated using the two SI crystals.

If you have a Down Imaging unit and a suitable hull, you can use its transducer for shoot-thru and get DI and 2D on plane.

all my research told me the SI ducer will lose bottom over about 6mph so the high speed is utilized for high speed navigation/depth purposes. That was confirmed by the dealer. I watched a few videos on ducer installation, but all refer to a template which I don't seem to find. On HB's site I found in the manuals section that the owner's manual for 900 series units has detailed installation info, just nothing for a 800 series. Guess I find that a little odd. Shouldn't be any difference between the 900s & the 898 as far as basic install so I'll follow those I guess. I sent an email off to HB to see what they'll tell me. Now if I hadn't already put boat away until April, I'd have a project for the weekend..LOL. All told, I'm delighted..I got the 898 setup, optional ducer, Y splitter, and Ram mount for $1000 !!

That is FALSE.
A PROPERLY installed SI transducer will work at high speed for depth readings. Most high performance stepped transom hulls don't work very well with a transom mounted transducer though.

What most do is mount the SI transducer above the hull bottom to protect it from possible impact damage and use a 2D transducer for on-plane depth readings. The SI transducer is about $270. That is the 6 mph limitation you read about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent response Wayne,
Exactly what I want to hear. My SI/DI Transducer is transom mounted above the stepped hull and works great at idle but I had though I would get DI thru a hull but sounds like I can which is great news. Right now I use my 898 at idle for either DI or SI and swith it to GPS when running, just for speed and tracking, and use my in dash unit for depth. I have that many things to look at I'm almost getting radiation poisoning! Lol.

Excellent response Wayne,
Exactly what I want to hear. My SI/DI Transducer is transom mounted above the stepped hull and works great at idle but I had though I would get DI thru a hull but sounds like I can which is great news. Right now I use my 898 at idle for either DI or SI and swith it to GPS when running, just for speed and tracking, and use my in dash unit for depth. I have that many things to look at I'm almost getting radiation poisoning! Lol.

NO you are incorrect. With a Side Imaging unit, you can only get 2D sonar with a shoot-thru.
DI is not 2D Switchfire and 2D is not DI.

Your Side Imaging transducer does Side Imaging, Down Imaging, Switchfire 2D sonar, and temperature. The Down Imaging function is computer generated, not dedicated crystal generated. Basically there is no DI crystal in a Side Imaging transducer.

You would need a Down Imaging unit (858c HD DI--etc.) to get Down Imaging with a shoot-thru installation.

Although I would not mind if you bought a new DI model unit THOMMO; there is an option that Wayne has not mentioned yet. Some have started using one of the Di transducer and a transducer switch with their Side Imaging units. The DI transducer can be installed inside-the-hull.

You guys have me confused! I know, I know! If you have a shoot-thru and a "Y" cable, what else do you need? I've always been under the impression that the SI transducer doesn't "transduce" SI at high speed. And why would one want it to do that? We have always only used SI when "scouting" at <5mph, Di combined with Sonar when trolling, and split screen Sonar/GPS when running. Are we doing it wrong??

If you have the sonar tuned on, the 2D and the SI crystals are producing sound pulses all the time whether the transducer is submerged or not.

If you use the shoot-thru and AS SIDB Y cable, that doesn't change anything. The Y cable only disconnects the 2D crystal in the SI transducer and connects the shoot-thru 2D in its place. Both of the transducers will be broadcasting their frequencies all the time, just like they would be if you only use the SI transducer by itself.

What Imaging does not do is provide usable images at speeds above about 12-15 mph. Plus typically the SI transducer is not even wet when on plane and the dual setup is used.

What Greg is suggesting is if you want a DI crystal to give you DI images, you can use the DI transducer instead of the 2D for shoot-thru.
IF you do that, you will have to use the TS3 switch instead of the AS SIDB Y cable and you will have to select either the SI transducer or the DI transducer to connect to the display.
What that will do is give you full function if either (one at time) and not a combination of the two.

Actually I was thinking he could mount the DI transducer in addition to the other two he has and install the TS3 Transducer Switch between the two transducers he has now and the unit. Thus with a flip of the switch he could go from the Si/2D transducers he has now to the DI transducer. It’s a lot to install and go through but it will give you clearer DI images at the expense of covering a smaller area below the boat. Like all transducers: a smaller area covered yields sharper images but you are looking at less water below.

Please see my post below!

Last edited:
Don't forget the Flux Capacitor....... :)
You may be closer than you think with that answer Toxic. After asking about this multiple times I finally heard back through the channels that using a DI transducer with an Si model unit is “not advisable” as it could put a strain on the 455kHz transmit circuitry inside the unit. I haven’t heard of anyone having such a failure yet, so this is a “do it at your own risk” venture.

You are a great resource Greg. I just get somewhat overwhelmed with the new technology. I need to put my thinking cap on and devote some time to the technology and become familiar with it. For my sponsors, I try to know the product inside and out on everything they carry. I have been a slouch on my electronics. I had TritonGlenn whan he was in town and he was a Lowrance guru. Now I have Carlos. I helped de-install and re-install a network in the Ranger and I have had to learn more of the Lowrance features. The old days of turn it on and get a depth are over with DI, SS, 360, pinpoint, all the new spot hold and features with the TM's reading the finders, etc. It truly is the "Tech" side of the industry.

Latest posts

Back