Hawk Pro Staff:

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz Bouvier

Reaction score
Before you all think that I jump ship, let me assure that I haven't.. My nephew is looking at a Hawk Pro Staff 21' with a 225EFI Merc.. I haven't much about this boat and I was wondering if any members have heard of this boat and what should he be asking the seller about beside the standard questions concerning boats?? Thanks everyone..

Sorry, that should have said jumped ship. Need to watch my spelling...

Buzz...I'm a little confused is your nephew getting offered a pro staff deal with Hawk, or is he looking to by a Hawk from a pro staff member?

My opinion on boats sponsorships is simple if you have a Deal in the works like with Hawk or even Nitro I would take it. There aren't that many Boat sponsorships available.

Now as far as the Hawks I have a few friends out west that have them or had them. I'm not a big proponant of boat bashing other brand names to make my product line look better. It just doesn't work for me.

My buddies have had problems with the transoms and hulls.

On the other hand they are a rellitivly fast boat with great looks.

So with all that said if it's a great deal buy it but just take it to a good glass shop and have them check out the transom area and the hull. And as always check the boat in good light and very thoroughly.

Rip Lips,

GregG

I thought Hawk went belly up. They had some really bad finances last year. They are made in McAlester Ok. Good boat but I'm not sure you can get any warranty on hull ect.

Nichol's Marine quit selling them in Okla.

I was also under the assumption they were gone. I live in Oklahoma City and have'nt heard a thing about Hawk in a long time. You better make sure of this deal your Nephews got. If its a good deal without a warranty its a great boat!

The boat is being sold by an individual and not a dealership. It's a 2000 Model.. But it sounds like he should stay away from if they have gone out of business as there would be no one for the warranty work.. Thanks...

Buzz -

I may be in the minority here, but I would not have a problem buying a boat built by a manufacturer that is out of business...... IF, IF, IF........

IF the manufacturer had been a good one - which Hawk was.

IF the hull were in reasonable shape now. There really are realatively few major hull defects in any boat that would cause concern. After 2 years of use, if they are there, they should have reared their heads by now. It is more likely that your nephew might need work done on the motor, electronics, etc. than the hull.

IF the boat is appropriately priced.

Just my .02.....

me!

John Storie, the original owner and designer of Champion boats sold Champion to the Porthouse family. John then started Hawk boats in Oklahoma. Look at a Hawk closely,..they look virtually identical to the older Champs of the late 80's and early 90's, that were the best boats built, bar none at that time. Hawk was on on the verge of bankruptcy a year or two ago (due to financial and overall business mismanagement and some major embezzelment from people who have since "dissappeared") (I had a friend that worked there in the office, but they have all since been layed off) As far as I know, the company is still in business, but barely!!! I'd have to agree with bit's and pieces of every post so far,..LOL...I'd be very leary of warranty issues, and where/how to go to get them fixed ...especially since the boat is being sold by an individual and not a dealership. On the other hand, it's probably a good boat, and worthy of serious consideration, but,...ya just can't go wrong with a brand new 929 with full warranty and a financially stable company that will be in business for many years to come!! A bassboat is a major expense and you owe it to yourself for all the piece of mind that you can get, when it comes to sales/service and warranty issues!! Good luck and think SPRING!!

Regards,

Mac

Latest posts

Back