Have you seen 2002 boat roundup?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Bassmaster does an annual review of bass boats each January. Personally, I was a little dissappointed this year. Last year's was extremely informative and had a much larger selection. Anyhow, don't anybody shoot me here, but I was reading on BassCat's new 18 1/2 footer, and the top end was impressive. It was pretty comparable to an 882 with the extras but comes with a lifetime warranty on the hull that transfers with any sale. Tracker by the hull #. That will only help resale, and the msrp was approximately 20K. What gives? If it has a dry ride, I might have to switch over to the dark side. Somebody please burst my bubble on this one, I must be missing something!

Have to agree with you on the boat review...a little lacking compared with year's past. Wonder how they pick which boat to review, or do they just call the mfg. and ask them to send a write-up of a line they would like featured???

Rob:

On my honor, I will not bash any boat on this board, nor will I burst anyone's bubble about a boat they are considering. Hey, if it meets your needs, then it's a great boat.

Mark

Rob,

Won't be a bubble burst. just the sound you hear when your tied down hood flies off your head from all the SPEED, ha.

I own one of those Bass Cats and only run a 135 Opti on it and it gets up and goes pretty good....and I haven't got wet yet. Top end on speedo is close to 63 (GPS is in the mail so I can update that later) and it handles great (can't imagine what it'll do with a 175 on the back). I have surprised a lot of people with the quickness and handling of this boat. And it fits into my garage straight so I can park the car next to it. PLUS.....and a big plus is the manufacturer actually gets behind his product. (My only problem with the boat, since new in March, was a glovebox lock that broke and after a phone call to them, they suggested a phone call to my dealer about a replacement might be faster, but sent me a whole new glovebox, lock and keys anyway (got it before the week was out)).

THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this boat better than a Nitro, maybe or maybe not, that is for each individual to decide. All the manufacturers are smartening up to the fact that customer service is a very important part of the consumers' decision where to spend his money. Small companies like Bass Cat help to make larger companies like Nitro/Tracker better for their customers.

And guess what? I'm not sponsored by or sell Bass Cat boats. I don't get a thing from Bass Cat for this type of post. Just a loyal customer speaking up for a loyal company. Everyone has to make his own choices and live with them, for me it was a good choice.

Sorry this was so long, hope I didn't upset any loyal Nitro/Tracker customers, never was my intention. I'll save any further reviews for e-mail if anyone has any questions about my boat.

Tom(fishfafun)

Nobody's going to be upset hearing stories like that Tom,......being BIG doesn't always make one BETTER! Nitro/Tracker's getting better everyday, that I know for sure, but service like you just got is exceptional and worthy of praise......regardless of where you say it. Thanks for sharing that!!

Mac

Tom, Where do you fish? Big water or no? How's the rough water ride? If I choose the cat, it'll be with a 150. Don't need a face lift yet! LOL With a 150, it should get close to 70mph. Good 'nuff for me!

Rob,

I fish the California Delta a lot (run through Franks Tract and the main river out of Big Break) and it gets pretty nasty out there (just ask around here and you'll hear some stories). Also fish Berryessa and Clear Lake and they get up pretty good on windy days. The only time I've gotten any water in the boat was once I "slowed down" for giant cruiser wake and didn't get the bow into it just right, took about 5 gallons of water on the front deck but the lockers stayed dry (great test for rainy day), but since then I got that worked out and just take them a little FASTER at an angle. I have never driven anything else (had a TrackerProV16 40hp and it'd do about 25 on a good day) in this class except a 186 Triton (hard to know any big difference from just test driving) but I've now been in a few different brands and much larger boats and I notice the ride is more smooth the bigger the boat gets regardless of brand.

My son fished a Pro-Teen tourney last year (wanted the chance to ride in a bigger/faster boat, maybe 21' w/225 in his dreams!) but drew a Pro with a 18' Stratos single console with a smaller motor on it and he came back happy about the fishing but told me he was getting wet a lot on the runs.

Recently, I've been doing a little tournament fishing in my boat and running it pretty hard (normally don't push the envelope because I plan to keep this boat and seeing as I own it, I would like to keep from abusing it) but it is holding up great! Running like a top and taking the tough stuff like a champ. Fished and towed it in the rain and even though the boat was soaked, all the places that are supposed to be dry were dry.

I could go on and on about this boat but once again I am a little biased. Before you buy another boat take one out for a run or better yet if you're ever close to the Bay Area I'll be happy to take you out and let you drive/fish mine and you'll see it all for yourself. (Check my fishing reports, I'm always out there fishing anyway, ha)

Tom(fishfafun)

Sorry Tom, clear across the country in NY, but thanks for the offer.

Latest posts

Back