Has anyone bought a boat that doesn't need anything?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cceguy

NTO Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year I started looking for a new (to me) boat. My wife said: "Get one that doesn't need any work."
The boat I wanted had a Guide12 volt trolling motor and was missing a Garmin fish finder. Negotiated with the dealer on price (he kept the trolling motor) and took it home. After buying a Minn Kota 24 volt trolling motor, a Hummingbird fish locator, 3 batteries, Vessel View and other things needed (you have to buy new rods, reels, lures, etc. for a new boat), my wife and I had a discussion over the meaning of "Get one that doesn't need any work."
I maintain those necessities are not work, but fun.
Anyone agree?
Has anyone bought a boat that didn't need any work?

Nope not me. Brand new boat nicely equipped but parking it was a problem. I had to purchase a new concrete driveway! Then I had to upgrade my towing vehicle! Not to mention spare tire cover, graph covers, pole holders, and of course new gear!

There really is no such thing!
Break
Out
Another
Thousand!
How right you are! I showed your answer to my wife. She didn't laugh. She mentioned that the last 3 boats I bought (in the last 4 years) were perfect, and yet I spent what I paid for the boat in extras. Then I would buy another 'perfect' boat and do the same thing. To defend myself, I told her I at least broke even when I sold them, even with the extras. Of course, I had to subtract maintenance items to break even (such as oil, filters, water pump parts, wheel bearings, bent props, spare props, covers, new lower unit, anchors, rope, tires, cylinder heads, special tools, new gages, etc.). She wanted to know why I sold my last boat (which was perfect), then bought another perfect boat, which I have spent $4000 (and still counting) on necessities. I told her I'm always looking for more perfect.

My first boat was a 16" winner bass boat. I had to replace batteries, tires, rewire trailer, upgrade wiring for trolling motor, replace water pump, thermostat, replace fish finders, live well pump, bilge pump and other stuff to do to make it fishing ready. My second boat was a brand new Procraft 185 DC and it was ready to fish from the beginning. My new to me boat is a 2019 Z20 and I added the second console and have a want to get list to enhance the fishing time on the water.

1995 Nitro 190dc with a 1992 150hp Evinrude. Fixed a number of wiring issues, added locators, ethernet, replaced carpeting and seats, added battery volt meters for the trolling motor and starting motor batteries, new trolling motor, added talons, transom backset, transom mount AS360SSI, boat led lighting, replaced wheel bearings, winch, trailer jack, trailer wiring, trailer tail lights, added backup trailer lights, trailer led lighting, replaced the tires and rims, replaced bunks, added guide-on bunks. Total overhaul of the Evinrude. I didn't think about it until now, but this forum caused me to think about all of the work that I have done. I'm sure I've missed a few things, but wow. I must be crazy...

No doubt about it fishermen will go to great lengths to get their boat the way they want it.

This is why I went to BP last year and just ordered a new Z18 Pro instead of trying to buy a used one. Once I calculated the cost of putting the correct electronics & PPs on it I could simply order a brand new Nitro for only a few thousand more with a warranty, 3-year Nitro Owner's card (10% discount at BP) and in the correct blue/silver color .... why is everyone in the world selling used red bass boats! YMMV

This is why I went to BP last year and just ordered a new Z18 Pro instead of trying to buy a used one. Once I calculated the cost of putting the correct electronics & PPs on it I could simply order a brand new Nitro for only a few thousand more with a warranty, 3-year Nitro Owner's card (10% discount at BP) and in the correct blue/silver color .... why is everyone in the world selling used red bass boats! YMMV
I just purchased a new 2022 Z18 Pro in February, so far I love it and comes complete. Includes warranty!

I bought a new left over 2021 tracker v175 wt pro guide in march 2022 and have worked on it more than used it because I’m sick of bringing back to the dealer. I had them fix a couple things when I first got it and they did a cob job so I just been fixing stuff myself

As I understand it, BPS stripped out commission earnings for employees in the boat business. Shop managers and Boat Sales managers earning commissions, could make more money than their management counterparts on the inside. It sounds good to customers to advertise "no commission sales". The downside comes when you need service- or anything extra. There is no incentive, other than a particular employee's desire to do a good job or send out a quality product. It all pays the same and doesn't matter how many boats they sell. I told my story about not even being able to buy a brand new boat, at the BPS, 10 miles from my house, with cash and an approved finance deal in hand... The boat sales manager refused to make any changes on the boat such as an upgraded troll motor. I was told that I could purchase the boat as it sit then purhase the upgrades in addition with no credit for exchanged equipment. This only happens when you are dealing with hourly employees... I called Cooperate about the situation and was told they would get back to me- of course, they never followed up. I made a couple of phone calls then went out of State to Pros Choice Marine in Missouri (from Louisiana) to pick up a boat that I had assembled to my specifications. I was told they deal with folks from Louisiana on a regular basis... It is a sad situation. Eventually, I had to return to the local BPS for a warranty issue. Fortunately, I knew what the issue was and they listened to me.. I feel bad for those who don't know what's wrong before they get there...

As I understand it, BPS stripped out commission earnings for employees in the boat business. Shop managers and Boat Sales managers earning commissions, could make more money than their management counterparts on the inside. It sounds good to customers to advertise "no commission sales". The downside comes when you need service- or anything extra. There is no incentive, other than a particular employee's desire to do a good job or send out a quality product. It all pays the same and doesn't matter how many boats they sell. I told my story about not even being able to buy a brand new boat, at the BPS, 10 miles from my house, with cash and an approved finance deal in hand... The boat sales manager refused to make any changes on the boat such as an upgraded troll motor. I was told that I could purchase the boat as it sit then purhase the upgrades in addition with no credit for exchanged equipment. This only happens when you are dealing with hourly employees... I called Cooperate about the situation and was told they would get back to me- of course, they never followed up. I made a couple of phone calls then went out of State to Pros Choice Marine in Missouri (from Louisiana) to pick up a boat that I had assembled to my specifications. I was told they deal with folks from Louisiana on a regular basis... It is a sad situation. Eventually, I had to return to the local BPS for a warranty issue. Fortunately, I knew what the issue was and they listened to me.. I feel bad for those who don't know what's wrong before they get there...
Some of the problems I had made me sick to my stomach after paying 35k for a boat. The port side console had one screw in it in total, courtesy light didn’t work, nav lights didn’t work. I made a deal with the guy at the service center that I would drag it there two hours away so we could fix those things if he mounted the new graph that I bought for the consul and I wanted the existing graph to mount on my bow trolling motor which is cool he made a deal with me but they pulled on my transducer cable so hard to try to get it out it broke and they left it hanging out of the back of the boat. I had to take the back deck off the retrieve the plug and if my cable. I then fixed my cable took the plastic covers off the side of my tm and there was one self tapping screw in each side of the trolling motor holding it on the bow.
there was also a 3” self tapper holding the gun whale cover on I noticed that ate half way through my steering hose. I called them and they were gonna mail me a gift card for inconvenience. That was in the end of March. What you posted makes sense with what I got going on

I also after noticing all this stuff felt the need to fine tooth comb everything and ended up adding half a quart of gear oil to the lower unit which I’m not sure if that’s mercury or trackers screw up. I never got a answer on that.

I want to love my boat but I guess I will find out begging of may when I’m in it for a week straight for pike opener

Larry, I had the same problem with BPS...I also went to Pro's Choice Marine Blake Felix and ordered a Z19 PRO (18 Feb 22) set up the way I wanted it built and will be picking the boat up tomorrow...They sent me a couple pic's today...AWESOME folks to work with...Can't wait to get there tomorrow afternoon...

Always got a radio, but never an anchor. Used to get the Coast Guard package years ago tossed in. Life vests, fire extinguisher, orange throw, a flare. But those days are gone.

Latest posts

Back