Hard cold starting question.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Farrar

Reaction score
I just bought my first boat three weeks ago. It's a 1996 Pro Angler 16-V with a two cycle 9.9 Mercury (also a 1996). I bought it private so I haven't been to a dealer yet to ask them any questions. Nor has anyone shown me what or how to do anything yet.

What is the correct starting procedure for my motor when its cold? I know I'm doing something wrong. After I finally start it the first time, it will start right back up all day long, first turn. It just takes a few minutes at first. I cleaned the carb, replaced the plugs, and adjusted the idle per the owners manual. Like I said it runs and works great after I finally get it going. I won't even waste the time to tell you how I'm starting it now since I'm trying something different each time and it's not working anyway.

Thanks in advance.

I've searched the achives here. Lots of great info here for a first timer.

Are you pushing the key in while starting? Is the bulb pumped up? Are you goosing the throttle before starting?

If you haven't already, try this procedure.

Pump up the fuel bulb

pump throttle control several times then leave it at the fast idle position

push the key in and hold for 15 seconds, then continue holding while cranking the engine and goosing the throttle if necessary.

Also be sure that the motor is trimmed in the down position. It really shouldn't make a difference but it used to with my old 40 hp.

in responce to ken's post... if i remember right... i dont believe all the 9.9's had electric choke... you may have to pull the primer out on the front of the motor and let it warm up then push back in.

In response to Chris' post, I know the 9.9 had electric choke in 2000 and also a tach connection. I think things are different now and I don't know what they had in 1996.

I guess we are assuming he is not pull starting the engine.

Bear

Ken, Yes.Yes. I don't think I have one on the 9.9. I have an idle control/primer knob on the front of the motor.

Rob, Yep its down. I found in one of old post to pump up the bulb after the motor is tilted down so I'll try that next.

Chris, It has both. An electic choke (a little rubber plunger blocks one of the passages when you hold it in) and the primer/idle control on front.

Da Bear, Yes, electric choke and tach even in the old days (1996) :). No pulling greatfully, if I had to I'd be too tired to fish after I finally got it started.

It just seems like I'm doing one little thing wrong or out of order. It runs fine and starts up right away after the first time.

Jeff:

I used to have a 9.9 and I started it by:

AT THE RAMP

1.) Pump the primer bulb until it is hard

2.) Pull the choke out and close it three times

IN THE WATER

3.) Turn the key to on

4.) Push the throttle forward about 80%

5.) Push the Enricher (electric choke) and count to 10.

6.) Then while depressed, turn the key to start.

7.) It revs up fast so throttle back and let it warm up.

Good Luck

Bear

Latest posts

Back