Grinding reel

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
While reeling in a largemouth yesterday my reel(Abu Garcia spinner) started to grind off and on during retrieve. Not sure where to look as I have never opened one up. Any suggestions about detecting problem would be appreciated. Thanks.

Eric

My Abu Black Max bait caster (cheapie) started doing this same thing, now it grinds all the time. I am thinking its on its way out the door. Might try to take it apart and see what I can find.

You guys do know that you have to oil and lube reels as much as you do motors...

Yeah I have only had that reel out 3 times since I purchased it, kinda surprised its already grinding?

Just about every reel you will see retailed has been assembled months, if not a year or more, prior to hitting a store shelf. After assembly they sit on a loading dock or in a container being shipped and in transit under high heat and frigid cold conditions. Flip over the reel box and look at the bottom of it, any brand, and look for a greasy stain on the cardboard. You've just found most of the original assembly lubricant for that reel. The first thing I do when I get a box of reels is re-lube them. ;)

BDT 1967,

Actually, no, I'm not really suprised it's grinding. That's not a slam on Abu Garcia, as I really love their Revo's. It's a slam on inexpensive baitcasters. I haven't had much luck at all with $50 baitcast reels at all, and I've been asked to try a few over the years from various manufacturers. I've never had one of those last a whole day of hard fishing.

I will say that quite a few companies are building some totally rediculous reels at astronomical prices. I won't name names, but when you start looking at half a grand for a single reel, I scoff at the pricetag.

The reels I would consider to be appropriate for any angler that plans on using them more than once in a great while will normally cost $100 and more. I've seen some for less. They are out there, but they aren't the norm.

What I normally see for $50 is a graphite frame, which is the first point of flex. Heat it up on a summer day in the sun and the next thing you know, the spool is rubbing on the inside of the frame. Couple that with either cheap bearings, or delrin / teflon bushings instead of bearings, and you have a reel that doesn't really cast far, gets affected a lot by heat and cold, and makes noise.

I also fully agree with what was written above. I always take apart a new reel and lube it. No matter what the brand of reel is, I find Daiwa blue grease and Yellow Rocket Fuel oil to work the best for me. I've tried others, and always come back to that combo.

All the best,

Glenn

Yes, Mini, I do take care of my equipment...first encounter I have had with this type of situation. Thanks for the advice Dan and TG...now new reels will hit the workbench before the water. Reel is only about 4 months old so was a little concerned with problem. Thanks again.

Eric

Eric,

Wish I could help you with that one, but it's hard to diagnose grinding problems (particularly with a spinning reel) if it's not in my hands. It could be the rotor rubbing the body, the rotor rubbing the inside of the spool, a bearing either under the spool or inside the reel, etc... My bet on a spinning reel is probably the rotor rubbing somewhere. Take off the spool, remove the rotor beneath it (carefully), and look for any signs of scuffing of the finish. With the spool and rotor off, rotate the reel handle to see if it still makes noise. If it doesn't, you just eliminated over 80% of the reel, and you know to look closer at the spool and rotor. If it does make noise, I'd check the rotor shaft bearing first, and then I'd proceed to the internals.

All the best,

Glenn

Yeah I knew it was an el-cheapo, It was a display model at Dicks Sporting Goods, picked it up for 25 dollars. Figured it would make a nice backup, and it sure did for the 3 trips I used it on. I still have hope I can salvage it, it was a nice little reel for the price I paid. Oh how I miss the old Zebco 44, drop it in the lake, step on it, don't oil it for months, thing will still cast and retrieve.

I'm sure it can be salvaged, but to what extent, I'm not sure. Display model, huh? Euuuwwwwwwwwwwwww! Man, you're brave! :lol: Most every "display model" I've seen of a baitcast reel is missing the cast control (tension) knob, has a couple of bumps or scratches, etc...

Hope you get it working ok.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back