Great Internet Deals on gun stuff....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
From time to time I find deals, so I know others do as well...

Consistently, I buy "overruns, closeouts and blemished" Nosler bullets at 40-60% off retail from www.shootersproshop.com And, with flat rate USPS shipping I am getting great deals.

Another site I buy lead shot from on a regular basis is http://www.gamaliel.com/shot/lawrence_brand_chilled_shot.asp
The price is okay, $44.50 per bag, but they ship two 25# bags for $13.00 USPS, so it works out better than Cabelas or other local stores for drive there and pick up after taxes. Our club does a group buy at way better ($38.00) but they only buy #8 and #9 shot.

Anybody else, please post your known deals and any specials that come up from time to time.

Wow. I still have a few bags of 7 shot that I paid $19 for years ago. Since the demise of pheasants I haven't fired four shotgun shells in two years.:(

fatrap

Fired my 410 today. Pesky squirrel thought he outsmarted me and didn't want to join the 7 others I put in nut HELL. He screwed up today and I bagged his sorry butt. Now maybe I'll have some sweet apples next year. But I sure like to find a really good deal on a M4/AR15 5.56. Thinking of seeing if anyone will trade me a good outfit for my 93 restored Nitro with 115 Johnson. I know I won't shoot it much at all, but I'd least have on for when SHTF/Civil war breaks out

Squirrels are relatively new to my little addition. Trees are just getting interesting enough to warrant their attention. Unfortunately my three year old Vizsla comes absolutely unglued when he sees one out in front of the house. I swear the squirrel knows the dog is having a spas attack and lingers as long as possible to drive him over the doggy edge. I have a Gamo bottom cocking 12oo fps rifle with custom "Charlie da Tuna" trigger that is sitting by the garage door. I'm biding my time.
I'd like to stake out his little body as a warning to the other squirrels considering moving into the neighborhood but my neighbors already think me a bit odd.
fatrap

"...my neighbors already think me a bit odd." And, this is a surprise to who? LOL

I used to dispatch them with a .22 caliber Crossman... good eating

I'm looking at the new silent piston driven Stoeger in .22 cal. I don't really need another pellet rifle but "need" means nothing to me. I have only one neighbor who talks to me regularly. His son Gus, revels in my blasting the guts out of the grackles that try nesting in my trees in the spring. The others all call me by "Mr" not Mike. I don't know what that means.
fatrap

grackles, is that like black birds but have the grey specks in the feathers? A nuisance type bird that crap on EVERYTHING, worst than friggin piegons I tell ya. Course I'm usually blasting them as I like using them for clay targets, to keep them away from my 2 grape vines when the grapes get close to getting ripe. We canned 300 half pints of grape jelly the past year - we had a bumper crop, half the grapes we couldn't harvest (way too much work, not enough jars, nor not enough time and sugar). We could eat jelly EVERY day until the next harvest and then some. My pesky squirrel use to climb the pine tree next to the grapes (where I couldn't shoot in that direction), but he and the others were more after my apples and poor peaches that NEVER once got to ripen. At least I have got a few apples since 2008.

Those are starlings. Grackles are all back with blue tinted heads. I shoot a polymer tipped pellet similar to a Hornady V max it jus rips em open. Sometimes I can hear the pellet smack the tree trunk after it passes through them.
fatrap

I'm looking at the new silent piston driven Stoeger in .22 cal. I don't really need another pellet rifle but "need" means nothing to me. I have only one neighbor who talks to me regularly. His son Gus, revels in my blasting the guts out of the grackles that try nesting in my trees in the spring. The others all call me by "Mr" not Mike. I don't know what that means.
fatrap

Just a "peckerwood with too many guns".... Mister

We go through a lot of .410 lately, and buying them at store prices got ridiculous. After getting a few boxes, we started reloading the empties, but wanted more hulls. I found a pretty good deal (in my opinion) on Graf & Sons on Cheddite hulls - Cost me $60 and change for 500 primed hulls.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/2568

Considering that a case of Winchester AA 2 1/2" target loads (10 boxes x 25 shells per box = 250 shells) costs between $115 and $130, and sometimes even more broken down per 25 round box if we can't find them by the case, I think the 500 primed hulls for $60 was a pretty good deal.

I finish them off with:

1) Winchester 296 for the powder ($21 a pound locally), approximately 7000 grains per pound, and I'm using <14 grains per shell, so a pound lasts me approximately 500 shells
2) 500 claybuster wads ($11 at G&S)
3) Lawrence Brand Chilled shot ($40 for a 25 lb bag locally), 1/2 oz of shot per shell, so a bag lasts me approximately 800 shells.

So for approximately $132, I can load 500 shells. Or I can buy 250 Winchester factory loads. Double the shots for the same costs! And I have enough shot left over for another 300 shells, so I'm even further ahead.

I haven't depleted the entire 500 Cheddite hulls yet, so I can't verify my estimated numbers, but the fun of watching my 10 year old load (and then go shoot) his own shotgun shells is awesome. He has a better appreciation for skeet shooting after he just loaded up a few boxes the night before we go.

I'm also never out of the shot size I need. I keep a good amount of several shot sizes on hand in 25 lb. bags, so if we need #8, we load #8, etc... Can't say that about my experience finding what I need in the store.

All the best,
Glenn

Glenn,

Passing on our sports to another generation is about as good as it gets. Shooting and reloading is something that I can do with my 32yr old son, just like I did with my Dad. His son was born on 10-30-13 and Zach has been in the loading room for a few minutes already. Of course, he isn't too useful yet (LOL); but he will be. His cousin, my other grandson deprimes cases and shells pretty well.

I do hope you realize you are not saving money, just shooting more!!!

As I have said, I reload for many reasons, but the chief one is that I control the product and get exactly what I want from my ammunition.

It's one of my son's favorite things to do. I think he enjoys reloading just as much as he enjoys shooting. Every once in a while, he gets distracted, but I watch him like a hawk. He has had to take a few apart because he did something wrong (forgot to add a wad between the powder and shot a time or two / short stroked a crimp stage and buggered it up), and after doing that, he really starts concentrating more.

Oh, I'm not under any misguided ideas that I'm saving money! I had to laugh a little at that as I nodded in agreement with your statement. I just did the math to make me feel a little better, and to show others what can be done by buying bulk components at good prices.

My number one reason for reloading is that I have what I want, when I want. Controlling the product to OCD levels is extremely high on the list as well. :) But I got into it because I was tired of not being able to find what I wanted or needed - especially .300 AAC Blackout. Reloading has been a lifesaver with that caliber.

All the best,
Glenn

My favorite deer rifle is my .257 Roberts. For years, I used Winchester 120gr Silvertips, then they went out of production. Then I used Hornady Light Magnums and they went out of production. Finally, I decided if I spent the time and effort I could easily develop as good or better. I went with a 110gr Sierra Gameking that was a deathray! Not satisfied, I went back to the bench and tried a whole range of bullets. Nosler Ballistic tips turned out to be as accurate as the Sierras and gave better performance on deer. I have now tried the Accubonds and am sure they could be better than the BTs. I have used partitions on feral hogs with devastating effect. It is like tossing out a naval anchor over rocks...DRT! Finally, I can use an 85gr Varmint Ballistic Tips for coyote and other varmints. That is only possible because I reload what I want.

Yeah, I know you like that .257. :D Your love of that caliber caused me to go nuts trying to find one of my own! I had my eyes and money set on a custom .257 Roberts barrel for my TC Encore, but the guy sold it to someone else. I've never seen another one in the Encore platform. I tried another .25 cal - the .25-06, which I really enjoyed. Very accurate using cheap factory Remington Core-Lokt Ultra ammo, and the recoil was almost identical to my 7mm-08. But there were so many more choices in the 7mm-08 (pre-reloading days for me) that I sold the .25-06 and kept the 7mm-08 instead. Kind of wish I hadn't done that, as that 26" heavy barrel in the .25-06 was extremely accurate. Still keeping my eyes out for a .257 Roberts in that platform, and I might even get one custom made one day.
All the best,
Glenn

Glenn,

The .222 Rem, .257R and 7mm RM are my three "go to" guns. My .338 WM is also one of my well used (not so much now as I have matured and don't stomp around mountains and woods). But, today I would opt for a .223 instead of the .222 and a .260 instead of the Roberts. To a lesser extent I would probably not choose the 7mm RM over a non-belted similar round. There is a reason that the 6.5X55 is so popular around the world. The 6.5mm is a very good bullet. On the other hand, the .25-06 will do anything my Roberts can do and more. But, almost 50 years ago when I built my Roberts i was the best choice at the time, and for many years thereafter.

If you do want a Roberts, look hard at a Ruger 77. There are a fair number of them around at a decent price. You can really hotrod the Roberts in that rifle. And, contrary to rumors you can get them to shoot very good groups. The lightweights had a whippy barrel but make great woods and cornfield rifles for deer.

Finally, Cabelas had Winchester do a small run of new model 70 featherweights with premium wood for about $1500.00!!! Beautiful rifles.

I saw them in the Cabelas catalog - I think it was last year or the year before. It was up front in the specialty guns section, and I remember seeing the caliber, followed by the price tag.

My "go to" guns (right now) are my .300 AAC Blackout (hogs), 7mm-08 (deer), and .357 Maximum rifle (for my son - hogs only for the moment with .357 magnum rounds). The .300 AAC is an AR platform. The other two are Encores. My heaviest caliber is my .300 WM, but I seldom ever shoot it. No use for it with these smaller deer.

Contemplating cutting a deal with a guy that has a .500 S&W 15" Encore pistol barrel with muzzle brake. Not sure how fun that would be... but I want to try it, just because it's a huge pistol cal. I have plenty of other calibers that are probably far more useful, so that one would just be to settle a curiosity.

All the best,
Glenn

Glenn,

Matts bullets sells (100 packs) a 158 gr lead semi wadcutter with a gas check that might work real well on hogs in the Maximum barrel.

Latest posts

Back