Good 4 lb. test line?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff R.

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I wanted to get your opinions on what would be a good ultralight fishing line. I've been using Stren Original 4 lb. test but it's about a 50/50 shot when tying a Palomar knot that it will break when you check it when done tying. If it doesn't break then, it's usually good to go for a lot of fish. Should I jump up to 6 lb.? I've taken several brands of 4 lb. test and when wrapped around each hand they all break when I pull apart fairly hard. I just wondered about going to 6 if my bites would decrease.

Have you tried BPS XPS Signature Series mono? Green or Clear. By far the best mono line I have used.

You have to make a few adjustments with 4 lb test, on the Trilene knot, you have to add an addl wrap or 2. Also when clinching the knot, make sure you moisten it well. I like the P line thin diameter pretty good (I think it is the CXX in the grey package), I've used others like Trilene XL (better casting than XT) too and it is OK. I don't know if I got a bad spool, but I had a lot of birds' nest issues witht the BPS line, just didn't like it. Seemed a little coarser. I don't think it is an issue on bait casting equipment. If you are fishing really clear water, you may want to look at Seaguar 6 lb flouro, it is expensive, but I use that catching cigar minnows on gold hook rigs in clear FL water, FL, it is really good stuff.

I use BPS Crappie line....tough stuff!

A lil' strecthy but, that's a good thing.

I've caught 5 lb+ bass and even a 22 pound carp....that's tough enough for me;)

I don't think you are going to lose any bites going from 4- to 6-pound test.

Trust me on this one. Fish do not even consider the line when after a bait. They are not smart enough to mentally connect the line as leading to imminent danger. Throwing rope? Yes, the fish will be disturbed. 6 vice 4? Ain't gonna affect a thing.

Jeff - I've noticed that line freshness matters a lot. I've had 4 lb test that will hold any type of knot plus tension you throw on it. Others will break just looking at it! It all depends on how it was handled from factory to store shelf. Since there's no way of telling for sure, I tend to test the line before I buy it. That means picking up a spool of new line at the store, pulling out just a bit, tying an overhand knot and pulling. If I can snap it with a tug, I don't buy it. If it holds, that's the pack I buy. No guarantee the line will last, but I've had good luck doing this in-store test before buying. And I've done this on all the line I buy finding that even 15 pound test will snap if its been sitting in a hot warehouse or storeroom too long!

I like the power pro braid. 4lb diameter and 10 or 12 pound strength. I use it on my panfish rods.

Gene

I just checked my catalog and 10# Power Pro is the diameter of 2# mono. 15# is like 4# mono.

I personally only use 4lb trolling for crappie on the little boat and the little 4ft whip rods. It gets a 1/16th oz jighead down just right:p Anything else that I would be casting with gets 6-8 all BPS Excel. I use 8lb for all of my senko fishing. It is a very good line and very tough. If spooled correctly I have no wind knots. Gotta make sure it comes off the bottom of the spool up through the closest rod eye to the reel.

TOXIC

On the 6 vs 4, to me that depends what you are after. Crappie, 6 is no problem, but I do agree that when using a 1/32 oz head the 4lb can make a difference, the "fall" is better. Trout, they are another story, I've used a lot of 2 lb mono when the water is gin clear. Not everyone carries 2, and at my age tying a knot can be tough, but there is a time when I have found that it makes a difference.

I have used BPS Excel (?) for years with great results. I realize that some don't like the stuff, but it has never let me down.

Steve

Latest posts

Back