Goin' to the Other Side

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
I'll be able to share details and maybe a photo after Christmas (well, maybe New Year), and I know I've said it would never ever happen, but it looks like I'll be movin' over to the other side in 2009. :eek:

For right now I'm just too excited, and had to tell someone. Everyone keeps saying how great it is. I guess we'll be finding out, and it may be necessary for some of you to keep reminding me that this is a GOOD thing, share advice, etc. :rolleyes:

Careful Mo... Get out of that alley and get away from that "dealer"... Think about your reputation....

No, no.... not fiberglass!!!!!

Crib, diapers, bottles,....

Yup.

I'm gonna be a dad. :D :cool:

Cool!!..Congrat's.....but you'll find out VERY soon that 'Glass boats are cheaper, easier to maintain, easier to get rid of, don't talk back and don't need to be fed or clothed.

But,...Boats will puke, leak, breakdown, leave stains and make you cry......so it's a trade-off!!:lol::rolleyes: (Oh and baby's diaper/bottle/necessities bag, will be far bigger, heavier and hold WAY more than any tackle bag.......so get ready!!:cool:)

Ohhhh! That's great; you're not going over to the other side, you are going to the light!! Congrats. :D

Congrats!! There for a sec I thought we had another convert!!:lol: Welcome to the wonderful world of no sleep and your time is no longer your own!! You are blessed!!

TOXIC

God Bless you and your family, however large it may grow!! :D You're entering the most wonderful, exciting time of your life; Fatherhood!

Thanks, everybody. Please keep my wife and the little one in your prayers. Due date is June 19. We'll be at 14 weeks on Wednesday, and have a Dr's appointment tomorrow to hear the results of some 'advanced paternal age' screening tests.

At our age, after this one is born, I'll likely go in for the Big Snip. If so, I'll make them play the "Nutcracker Suite" over speakers while they do the deed. :eek:

My first thought was you were gonna become a switch hitter. Father. Cool. Two more weeks and my daughter will move out for the third and hopefully last time.

:lol:

fatrap

Switch hitter???? Oey vey. THAT thought never crossed my mind.

MoFish....I've got some stories for ya regarding the Big snip and the Nutcracker Ballet, but I'll save those for another thread!!:eek::wacko:

Again...congrat's to BOTH of you!!!

Mac

MOFish are you guys going to find out the sex of the baby or go for the surprise ate birth. If you don't mind my asking. We went for the surprise on our children, it's the only truely good surprise you get to decide on any more.

I have a daughter due in April. She may put my spring fishing routine on hold. One other child, a 12 year old boy, is looking forward to it. Let this be a lesson as to what mojitos on a vacation in Mexico can do. Had not planned on this but it looks like it will turn out to be a great thing.

My wife is 38 and we had the advanced paternal age test too. It came back 3,000 to 1 odds of disability. We also had the 3D sonogram at 19 weeks and now the odds are 12,000 to 1. Didn't matter either way, it wasn't changing what we were doing. It is still good to know.

I spoke to the OBGYN, he and I both agree that the snipping procedure will be happening to my wife and not me. He said it's a real easy deal he can do in the office. Haven't informed my wife of this yet though. I think I'll wait till after the birth, she's a little testy (no pun intended) right now.

Good luck MOFish!

Ed, I think I've pretty much been told it will be a surprise. There's a difference of opinion on this and we haven't really settled it yet, but it's just not the hill I want to die on.

Jeff, we just got our First Look test results today and they're not as favorable odds as yours. 1/360 for Downs and 1/1680 for another chromosomal abnormality. We'll know more in four weeks when we do the 18 week sonogram, which should tell us with a fair degree of accuracy if we'll have a special needs child. Either way we're gonna keep him or her and give that kid all the love it can stand.

Thanks, guys. Over Christmas I'll be moving my home office down into the basement to clear out a room for the nursery, and will do some painting to start getting things ready.

MO - Don't be worried or afraid of the tests. My little one is four now and it was daunting when his diagnosis of Down Syndrome was confirmed after birth. Like you, we knew no matter what, he'd be loved and cherished like his older brother and best friend. (Now nine.) I cannot possibly tell you how much better my life is after receiving this gift that my little boy(s) truly is(are). God always gives us no more than we can handle. I really believe that. Sometimes His plan challenges us to do more than we knew we could, always making us a better person for it. Your child is a true Blessing from God and will never be more than what you can handle... Although there will be times when a man can't help but wonder! :lol: Your life will change for sure. It will open a new meaning of joy that you never knew you could have! :wub: God Bless!!

What kind of sours this whole thing is my wife got let go from her job last Thursday. She told her employer she was pregnant and one month later her job requirements change to her having to stay overnight 2-4 nights out of town each week. When life throws you a curve ball sit on it, swing lower and hope for the best.

I've gotta tell a story about a "special needs" child. One of my best friends Jeff (I was best man in his wedding, he is Lauren's godfather), has 3 children. His middle child, Jonathan is severely autistic. Since the best programs in the country for helping autistic children reach their full potential are in So Cal and Madison, WI, he chose to move his wife and children to Madison and stay in Omaha to run his financial planning business. He's got double EVERYTHING!! He commutes most every weekend to Madison and on some occasions, they come back to Omaha. We get to see them on as a family on our annual trip to the wilds of Wisconsin and I usually try to get back to Omaha for a couple of Nebraska games every year. Jonathan is 12 and has seen me pretty regularly, I always treat him just like I would any other 12 year old. A couple of years ago when we were passing through Madison and visiting we were all out on Jeffs party boat (a 28ft SeaRay Cuddy) and we had been pulling the kids on tubes. I gave Jon-Jon a towel and was drying him off when he got back in the boat, he was doing his regular snaps, claps and whistles, staring off into space (as most autistic kids do) when all of a sudden he walked up to me and grabbed my face and put his eyes about 2 inches from mine and in that one moment we connected. After about 30 seconds I looked over and Jeff's wife Christie was sobbing. Jonathan then shrieked like he normally does and jumped back in the lake.:lol: Life changing moment!! I still get choked up. Long story short. There are no disabilities only abilities.

TOXIC

Mo....Based on those odds I'd say you're going to have a perfectly normal healthy baby. When my wife was pregnant with our first daughter, her AFP (amniofetoprotein) test came back as "probable" that she would have downs too...so we had another test done that negated that AFP result...she was born on time, healthy, cute as a button and with no problems what so ever...(well..except for Colick a month later!!..ARRGGGHHHHH!!!!). I will say the "stress" involved wondering if she was going to be okay was horrible...SO,.for the 2nd baby, we didnt even have the AFP test done!!..We just decided we'll take whatever we get!! She was born perfectly normal too!! Now, I can't believe they're a Jr. and Sr. in college already!! Time FLYS by!!! (But,..IMHO..the BEST years are 3-7 at XMAS!!!) Man. that's some FUN stuff!!!:wub:

Mo - Great news! yup my mind raced to Glass, Surgery, Moving South, Becoming a Democrat... LOL!!!

Its a whole new world when the little one comes! Its a great change, but a huge change!

Trep

Mo,

We waited all three times til they arrived to find out what we were getting... Each one was a great surprise... It was fun waiting! And, by the way... the surprises just kept coming...

I waited all three times too.. we were lucky and ended up with one of each :blink:

Let's see Pondscum said; "waited all three times too.. we were lucky and ended up with one of each" :eek: So, that would be one Largemouth, one smallmouth and a spotted? :lol::D

Let's see Pondscum said; "waited all three times too.. we were lucky and ended up with one of each" :eek: So, that would be one Largemouth, one smallmouth and a spotted? :lol::D

Jeff, I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's job. I have a cousin who was just let go by Anheuser Busch InBev, and we're facing the same possibility where I work.

Toxic, my brother has a profoundly autistic stepson, Jack. I know what you mean when you say 'connected' even if only for a few seconds. I took my brother and Jack out on Lake Shelbyville for a ride in the boat. As we got up on plane, Jack (who is 15), started pounding his feet on the floor of the boat. I looked over at my brother who said, "That's his way of saying, 'GO FASTER!'" When we got off the lake, and I was putting the cover back on the boat, Jack came up and gave me a hug from behind. The kid has a vocabulary of about thirty words, but he said a mouthful with that one hug.

We have the eighteen week ultrasound scheduled for January 20. The wife's OBGYN said it would be a head-to-toe detailed exam, and that they could spot any profound or serious problems with it. An amneocentisis (sp?) may cause a spontaneous abortion, so we decided not to do it and just go ahead like normal.

Look for an announcement and a picture or two on or around June 18. The kid's blessed already. My birthday is December 7 so I tended to get the 'combination birthday/Christmas' presents. This kid will have the best of both worlds!

Mo,

That kid is also blessed by the luck he/she had in getting the parents he is going to find waiting for him/her...

Now, I think we should start a pool... Date and time in 4 hr increments... closest gets your boat... you certainly aren't going to have any time to use it for the next umpteen years!!!! :rolleyes:

Mo,

That kid is also blessed by the luck he/she had in getting the parents he/she is going to find waiting for him/her...:cool:

Now, I think we should start a pool... First... Boy or Girl (or pondscums three choices he has not yet fully explained :p:wacko::unsure:) Date and time in 4 hr increments... closest gets your boat... you certainly aren't going to have any time to use it for the next umpteen years!!!! :rolleyes:

Tox...

It ain't nice to kick a man when he is "up", anymore than when he is down! Besides, they are not dents, they are experience marks..

Dented????? Heck, his boat took on a semi and WON!! :blink: I'd take a boat like that around Cape Horn if I had to!! :lol: Even one made out of old recycled beer cans. :rolleyes: :p :lol:

Congrats MO!

I for one KNEW you would never relinquish your TV-18!

Best of Luck,

az

Oh...NO! I'm not giving up my boat. It's a collector's item now. You can't get one with dual consoles anymore.

And they're not dents. They're evidence. And there are only two... wait...THREE if you count the one my wife put into it :huh:...no... FOUR counting the one I put into it...:eek:

Plus the big one in the right trailer fender that I put into it too. :wacko:

And those scratches and scuff marks...:unsure:

..and the carpet that needs to be replaced. :(

Okay, who wants my boat? :rolleyes:

Oh Oh, I'll take it!! Then i'll have TWO!!! Yea baby!!!

MOFish!!!! Super Congratulations man:) Rest assured that you, your wife and baby will be on Nancy and my prayer list! I think it's great.. <shew> I thought you were thinking of going sparkles too. What a relief:rolleyes:

WoW Toxic..That story about you and Jonathan was special and enough to bring a tear to the eye..:(

Jeff, I'm sorry about your wife also but it seems to me, but not knowing all the circumstances, she might have a legal avenue to get her job back or receive a monetary

award. I'd check with your states statutes or even the Federal F.L.S.A. laws.

Just a thought!:unsure:

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back