Glad to have found Nitro Owners

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fieldsteve01

Reaction score
Live in middle TN. Purchased a ‘95 170DC RCE six weeks ago. Replaced trolling motor w/70# Edge, circuit breaker, added 24V lithium battery and on board charger. Added new electronics and separated them to dedicated 12V. Looking at ways to maximize storage space and fishing room on decks. Any suggestions?

Hello, how's your boat and fishing so far?

I just bought an Edge 70# and lithium 24 and a 60 amp breaker. I haven't installed it yet. I was wondering what your thoughts are on the Edge 70?

Thanks for responding.

The past year used a Battle Born (lithium) 24v 50amp to power a Ghost trolling motor on a 175 Tracker. Charging is via a Victron Blue Smart IP67 12 amps. Setup is good for 10+hours of spot-lock use on the windiest days. Single lithium battery replaced 2 group 31 lead acid deep cycle 105Ah batteries that struggled to last the day.

The only thing that is a negative, is the lack of battery heating to allow charging during low temperatures. Seems the market is quickly adapting to include self-heating and Bluetooth battery reporting built-in. Dakota Lithium has added self-heating to their DL+ (starting batteries).

I bought a starting battery as well. (DL+ 12v 60Ah Dual Purpose 1000CCA Starter Battery Plus Deep Cycle Performance)

I'm not a tournament guy, when it starts getting too cold. I pack it in. My 175 TXW will live in a heated workshop for the winter (at least for the next few years.)

My only concern is charging, as I've always used AGM's in just about everything and have used battery maintainers with auto desulfation with excellent results. Most batteries lasting 10 years or so.

I bought a Minn Kota 3 bank on board charger with a LifePo4 setting. (Minn Kota MK-3300 PCL Precision On-Board Charger)

I'm just learning Lithium (unless you count RC Aircraft.) The liFepo4's don't appear to have a float voltage, and apparently the on board BSM's take care of cell balancing internally.

How do you manage a storage charge, when the boat is dormant for 3-4 months?

I will periodically plug in the chargers(that came with batteries- 100ah Dakota lithiums) on the batteries once a month or so, they seem to hold a charge. I rigged up a short 3way cord, mounted the 3 chargers by the batteries. Just plug it in after trips like you would an onboard charger.

Ill try and remember to take a pic.

Do not use "normal" tenders or onborard chargers on lithium batteries.

Lithium's storage is different than lead acid or AGM. Overall life can be reduced by storing or keeping at 100% state of charge. It's best not to store them fully charged. I personally target between 40 to 80% state of charge for storage. Given the low self-discharge no need to charge or use a maintainer like one would do with conventional batteries. After a weekend of fishing and batteries above 40% state of charge, I don't charge until day before going out. (Avoid time at 100% and depleted for longest life)

Will other loads be on the starting battery (live well, pumps, fish finders, etc...)? Really interested in learning your experience with the starting battery.

I've always stored LiPo's at 36% as recommended by the LiPo manufacturers. They are a different chemistry than our trolling and starting batteries LifePo4.

Just found this in the Dakota battery manual.

How should I store my battery? Does it self-discharge?

LiFePO4 batteries have a low self-discharge rate of 3 – 5% per month, so they can be left in a partially discharged state for over a year without damaging the battery. This is 5X less than the self-discharge rate of VRLA batteries, but it is higher than some other lithium based systems. L.F.P. batteries should be stored well charged at a temperature between 40 – 95°F, however, they need to be above 32°F to charge. We recommend charging your lithium batteries every two months to ensure they do not completely drain.

I have Ionic lithium batteries, and for winter storage I was told to charge to max and then disconnect everything from them.. bring them inside if it get below -20°F.

I store mine fully charged, been years now. 2 - 100ah dakota liths for TM and 1 for electronics. Interstate battery for starter.(just got a new boat, have to look cuz I think its a deep cell?) Selling the 2 deep cell interstates that came in it for TM as I already had the Dakotas.

I'm a firm believer in charging batteries after use, not waiting and charging before use. Batteries seem to last longer keeping fully charged.

Sounds like it will be an awesome setup with 3 Lithiums. That's plenty of capacity.

For those using Dakota Lithium's, have you read the details of the 11-year warranty? They splash 11-year warranty on every document page but finding the details and what it really covers during this time period can be challenging.

For colder climates... If low temperature charging is desired (ie: self-heating), I understand Dakota is moving towards this option in the near future. (At least based on email correspondence I had with them). Their DL+ starting batteries have this feature, but not 100% certain for the smallest one they sell, but the two large ones definitely have it.

I'm starting to get really interested in the newer batteries with self-heating and Bluetooth reporting of battery status built in.

That self heating stuffis new to me. I live in Northern WI, but stor my boat in heated garage, so never thought much about letting batteries get cold. We fished in some cold weather, and again never had issues using/charging.

Here is my set up.
i put some of those battery wire lugs on the post so the alligater clips on easy. (Leave them off when not charging)

Attachments

• 20230119_153406.jpg
    20230119_153406.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230119_153415.jpg
    20230119_153415.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
I haven't gotten my LiFeP04 batteries yet, I'm planning on an on board charger. Minn Kota MK-3300 PCL Precision On-Board Charger.

I haven't gotten my LiFeP04 batteries yet, I'm planning on an on board charger.
For what it is worth...
Currently using a Victron Blue Smart IP67 charger onboard.

The charging app provides good information and insight into how much energy is needed to recharge battery.

I purchased the Minn Kota MK330PCL, I figured there's not much you can do with these batteries, the internal BMS's are automated.

Latest posts

Back