Getting more HP out of your Merc 200

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviatar

NTO Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with increasing horsepower to your outboard? I have a 200 merc pro on a 2013 Z8. I was told you can pull the computer and send it off for what is called "flashing" and increase this to 225 HP. I have added so much stuff to the boat (talons, more batteries, etc..) that the boat has lost 6 -10 MPH and also can not get my tack to do more than 6400. I am wanting to get that performance back. Any ideas would be most appreicated.

Who told you it should turn that much RPM? I just did a web search and found recommended RPM range for a 2013 Optimax 200 is 5000-5750. If it is a Verado, max RPM is 6400. Are you running a modified motor?

Yes 6400 is the best it will do on the tac. I was told I 6750 to 6800 would be more in line.

What motor do you have? Mercury makes the 2.5 EFI 5800 RPMS---- 2.5 & 3.0 OptiMax DFI 5750 RPMS & ProSX 6000 RPMS ----3.0 Verado 4 stroke 4 Cylinder & 6 cylinder 6400 RPMS------ which one is yours?

WIth your Optimax there is not a whole lot you can do that is affordable to get more power, check out Dave Bush Racing, Simon Motorsports, or Chris Hoffman performance. They have parts to wake up the 3.0 liter optis but be ready to get out the checkbook!!! That motor with the stock tune in it will not turn over 6000 rpm, you might want to check your Tach setting.

Check out the Scream and Fly website. You will find more info on hopping up outboards than you'll know what to do with. Their sponsors are also great to deal with.

WIth your Optimax there is not a whole lot you can do that is affordable to get more power, check out Dave Bush Racing, Simon Motorsports, or Chris Hoffman performance. They have parts to wake up the 3.0 liter optis but be ready to get out the checkbook!!! That motor with the stock tune in it will not turn over 6000 rpm, you might want to check your Tach setting.
Yes thanks for the tip. I am beginning to believe after other peoples comments I need to have the tac checked out.

Yes you have made a good point and the tach needs to be checked out. I am for sure check out these web sites you have listed. Thanks for your help.

What motor do you have? Mercury makes the 2.5 EFI 5800 RPMS---- 2.5 & 3.0 OptiMax DFI 5750 RPMS & ProSX 6000 RPMS ----3.0 Verado 4 stroke 4 Cylinder & 6 cylinder 6400 RPMS------ which one is yours?
You got me here. I am not really sure which motor it is. My boat is currently in winter storage so I will get the serial number and run this info down. Everyone has been very helpful and I appreciate all the good ideas.

Latest posts

Back