Gear ratio opinions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
Topwater and jerkbaits.....high or low gear ratio? Thanks for your opinions.

Eric

High

The lower gear ratios are best used for high resistance baits like deep cranks and big spinnerbaits.

agree with wayne p. i use a medium to high on all my rods, then i have more control, i can reel it slow, or really crank them in if i need on a long cast and they start swimming to ya!...

Eric,

Gear ratios are reletive to the amount of line (1) turn of the handle will bring in.

Examples would be:

5.4:1 28"

6.4:1 31"

7.1:1 34"

Each gear ratio would be determined by the lure or lures you would use more often with it. An example is a crankbait. With most crankbaits, you would want a slower gear ratio to allow that bait to perform as designed. Too fast will change the action designed into it. The opposite is true fishing say a, buzzbait. It will fish easier with a fast ratio.

Many of the pro's are using high speed for pitching and flipping. That mostly has to do with getting the lure back in fast if it isn't bit immediately, so they can make the next pitch sooner. Thus, getting in dozens more presentaions in a shorter time. Tournament time limitations you know. That has led to many fisherman using a high speed ratio (because the pro's do), when they don't necessarily need it.

Getting the proper gear ratio makes sense. To consciously slow down or speed up retrieve with the wrong ratio gets tiring. If one can't afford numerous ratios for different baits, I suggest a medium (6.3 or 6.4:1).

I have always used a lower, 5.4, for cranks and spinners and high, 7.1, for buzzbaits. I don't fish many suspending jerkbaits or poppers, but I'm starting to now. I have a 6.4, so I will work with that and see what happens. Thanks for the tips, they are much appreciated.

Eric

Like others have said. I have one gear ratio (medium) for spinning reels and one (Faster) for my bait casters. All are like reels Pleuger Presidents and KVD's. I prefer this as I like the consistent feel and thus with the ratios I can slow up as I need to. I find this just a piece of mind thing for me. My partner has several of each reel in different ratios. This is just my preference and it does save me some $$$ too by not having to carry as many reels/rod combos!!!!!!!

Randy!

Back