Gas Tank Removel PT190

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Lincoln

Reaction score
I have a 2007' PT190 Bass Tracker that the bilge pump has stopped working, and needs to be replaced, I have checked all the fuse's, and all is good at the fuse panel, the lite on the rocker toggle switch comes on, but not the bilge pump. Looks like I need to pull the gas tank to replace the darn thing, as it's installed under the corner of the gas tank?? Has anyone replaced a bilge pump on this model, did you pull the tank, and if you pulled the tank how much trouble did you run into as far as pulling the tank? I'm fairly good with my hands, just not sure its a job I want to under take (pulling the gas tank)just not sure how big a deal it would be? Should I just get the pros to do it, and be without my boat for awhile? Thanks in advance for any help!! :(

Holy Schnikies! I thought my pumps were hard to get to on my 185 but, seriously...they're under the gas tank?

I know to get to mine you have to be a midget with small hands:rolleyes:

I am not familiar with your model boat but the aerator pump went out on my 2002 PT175 some years ago, or so I thought, until the mechanic took the pump apart and discovered it was fouled by a piece of tree bark. I know you still need to remove your pump but you may not need a new pump if this can also happen to a bilge pump.

Gopreach

I can't suggest anything on the BP but, can tell you guys with 175's and 185's that have problems with your aereator pumps to pull them out and put a cartidge style in there to save you a TON of hassle down the road.

I can't tell you how many times a small pebble or twig clogged up my pump. If you get the cartridge style...you get off the water, twist out the pump and snap back into place. Whoever thought of that design needs their ass kicked;)

Thanks for the posts guys, Tee's spot on about the non-cartridge style being a pain. My pump is just enough under the corner of the gas tank to the point I can only get one hand on it..I maybe able to post a pic here in a day or two. Looks to me that, in order to insall a new pump, other than just sticking my hand in there, and replacing it by feel, the tank needs to come out.

Well at least you know what to do if you have to remove the tank;)

Well I finally got sometime off work today, and decided to go down to the marina, and see how much trouble I was going to have in replaceing that faulty bilge pump, turns out the pumps on my PT190 are Mayfair pumps made by Johnson pumps, "cartrdge style" :)

After a little research on the PC, I found out how to remove the cartridge, lift a tab, rotate 1" counter clockwise, pull up, and out comes the cartridge. There's just enough room back there to get my one hand on it, remove it, get a replacement at Cabelas, and I'm back in bussiness, took all of 15 minutes to replace.:D I have always had rule pumps on my other boats, and have never had one go bad, these are my first cartridge style, kind of feel like an idiot now, after learning how to remove the cartridge :huh: you would think they would put that info. in the owners manual. Thanks for the replies guys!

Latest posts

Back