Gas smell in storage compartments?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Wagner

Reaction score
I read on several other sites that there have been issues of gas vapors venting into the storage compartments on bass boats produced by many different manufacturers.

Some said that dealers have told customers that this is "normal" and you just have to live with it. It seems to me that this should not be normal on a 30K+ bass rig, and is something that all boat manufacturers should be looking to correct.

Is this a common problem on the new Nitro Z series boats? If so, what (if anything) has been done to correct it? Is it a safety issue or just a nuisance?

Thanks.

Boats with plastic gas tanks will have this issue, especially if stored in doors. I usually leave one of my usually leave one of my rear compartments open when my boat is in the garage and don't notice any odor. If I leave all the compartments closed and then open one I'll get the gas smell.

HP

i second that, HP. My Z-9 does smell if I leave compartments closed, open them up and no problem..

The 2012's have an EPA mandated charcoal style filler on the gas tank vent. Should cure all that.

Same here on my Z-7. Leaving the compartment doors open is a must.

From what I understand it is a by product of the plastic gas tanks and there is nothing you can do about it. Thus the response from the dealers. Putting a filter on the vent will help but it is not the major source just a contributing factor. One of the manufacturers (I can't remember off the top of my head..Phoenix? Legend?) has gone to stainless steel gas tanks and the smell is gone. I do know that some boats are more prone to it than others. After making very sure there are no leaks, I would just prop the back lid open and put the same small fan you use to dry out the boat after a rain trip, to keep the fumes moving out.

TOXIC

Same here on my PT185, I keep it in my garage with gas hatch open to vent, just be sure to check around tank and hoses to make sure that no leaks are there.....

Latest posts

Back