Gas Fumes from Boat in Garage

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass Caldwell2

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2003 Nitro 882, and keep it in my garage. But, the smell of gas from in the garage is really strong. Is this something to be concerned about? It just seems unsafe to have fumes that strong in a confined area to me.

Thanks.

No it is not good and not normal. How hot is it in your garage? The reason I ask is that gas tanks vent and if it is hot then there is more smell. I would be looking for the source of the fumes. Gas lines on the motor, etc. I would think you have a leak somewhere. I would also put a fan in there and open a window until you get it figured out.

TOXIC

Toxic, your advice is really good, but you are unwittingly eliminating these guys from Darwin Award selection. One piece of advice ... with fumes it is not good to look for the leak using a match. A match will cause an explosion. However, with a gas puddle one can use a match to light the puddle, then follow the flame back to the leak. Key to success in this case would be to cutoff the flame before it gets into the tank.

One thing to also consider ... if you leave the lid closed for the battery/gas tank compartment you allow fumes to build up before they can release into the air and dissipate.

I'm in Louisiana and we've had 30+ days over 100 degress, so you can imagine how hot my garage is. Could that be the problem? Just venting from the heat?

During the summer months my boat always has had a little stronger Gas smell in the garage. I always just left my battery compartment cracked open as well as my rod boxes. Helps get rid of the fumes faster so it doesnt become as strong. Gas fumes have a hard time getting out of those little vents so they build up in the boat cavity and it becomes stronger. Plus, if possible, crack open the windows and open the garage door a bit during the day.

Max

It is a double edged sword....heat will cause more smell but it will also evaporate any tell-tale small leak if you have one. I'd check over the motor really well and keep in mind sometimes the carbed motors leak out of the bowls if trimmed up too much. Try trimming the motor level after you store it to see if that helps as well.

TOXIC

Mine does the same thing, when it smells a little strong I will crack one of the garage doors, I do not have any leaks, it is from the tank vent.

Latest posts

Back