Garmin ???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
I am selling my humminbirds and going to Garmin. I know Tom has one on his 929 and I liked it a lot. Thinking of using the 160 on the bow and a 100 at the console. Any feedback on these models. I am replacing birds, wide view on the bow and a 200dx at the console. Plus I can't seem to keep the dumb transducer for my flasher to stay epoxied to the hull. I cleaned the surface, roughed up the transducer, and used 2.5 ton epoxy, 3 TIMES!!! And it keeps popping off in rough water. The epoxy stays on the transducer. Any ideas?

Rob

Rob, I have 1 160 on the bow and an Accura 240 on the console. The 160 does a great job seperating fish arches from the bottom or "clouds" of baitfish. Some 160's have a problem with voltage and turn off or reset every once in a while. Other than that I love my Garmin. I also have used the Garmin 240 and have to say for the extra money it may be worth buying just for the upgrade in the number of pixels. I think if you buy either unit you won't be dissatisfied.

Rob,

First, I agree about Humminbirds and would not go to the troube of installing one even if it were given to me. I have used the Garmin 240 and am now using the Garmin GPSMAP 168 and like it very much. I also have an Eagle Accura 240 and a Lowrance X-85. I think the Garmin 240 and Eagle Accura 240 are the best value, and like them better than the Garmin 160 because of the high resolution.

Maybe it's the epoxy you are using. I've never had a problem using the following method:

1. Lightly sand, then clean the hull area with acetone or lacquer thinner.

2. Sand bottom of transducer with 320 or finer paper.

3. Make a dam about 1/4 inch larger than the transducer with a bead of RTV.

4. I recommend using Devcon PLASTIC WELDER. When you have everything ready, mix the epoxy in a small cup thining with a few drops of alcohol. Thinning with alcohol makes the air bubbles disipate faster.

5. Pour the mixed epoxy into the mold and wait a few munites for the air bubbbles to disipate.

6. Set the transducer in place and put a weight on top. I find that a bag of lead shot works real good. Note: I do a lot of skeet shooting and reloading, so I always have #9 shot available. A bag of shot works good because it doesn't want to slide off, but anything that is fairly heavy and will stay in position will work.

7. Wait until epoxy cures. Note: Cure time will be a little longer because of the alcohol has to evaporate out. Temperature also effects cure time.

Russ

Didn't know that the X-85 dropped in price. Both the X-85 and Garmin are great. I guess it's just a matter of comparing all the features. I use both and each have their pro's and cons.

Russ

Reason the X85 droped in price is they will not longer make the X85 after this year.

Latest posts

Back