Fury props and water pickups

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Hey folks, some quick questions. First off, let me say that I took my mom out for my home town's 25th annual Happy Pike tournament....some of you fished it with me a few years back when I bought the new house. Anyhow, Ma took 2nd with a 10 lber. 1st was a 12 lber. Usually, 10 lbs is enough to win it but this year a guy got lucky and found a 12. Anway, she was stoked and made $180 with a trophy to boot.

Now to business.

Anyone tried the new Merc Fury props? Mac, Mini??? You guys are tight with Merc, you guys have one. What do you know? What have you heard? Do they live up to the hype? Worth the $700 I'll drop on one?

Next: Anyone ever use the Big Foot lower water pick ups from Bob's Machine Shop? They epoxy on the nose of the bullet cone and send water into a hidden hose inside the body of the unit that force feeds water into the jacket. I should see a marked increase in water pressure since not only is the impeller pulling but as any type of running speed you also have the water being forced into the new nose cone. I will also replace my impeller. This should allow me to bring my jack plate all the way up and see what the old girl can really do with the new Atlas on it. Anyone put one on yet? Only $190 plus whatever my tech wants for installation. But I want some feedback first.

Rob

Breathing fresh life into the old girl. I think tweaked with the big foot and plate up, plus a Fury prop, I might see 69-70 mph in the boat when I'm alone and maybe 66-68 loaded with a rider.

Rob,

I have a 25 pitch fury that i have played with a good bit. The lift is good, speed is good and the holeshot is way better then a stock tempest of the same pitch. That being said i still like my blueprinted tempest a lot more. With the tune-up the tempest just does everything better on my boat.

$700 is way too much for one of those. Jaco's marine has them for $479 all the time. If you are really interested in one my fed has one for sale to benefit the youth program that i can get you a price on it and put you in touch with the youth director. Thats where i got mine from last year and it was a heck of a deal.

One other thing on the fury that i'm discovering in playing with mine it it does not like the really high motor height's that i can get out of my worked tempest. I loose way too much lift and that equals no speed. That may negate the need for a nose cone since you may not get it high enough where water pressure is an issue.

I bought a 25 pitch Fury for my kitty Rob. It performed about the same as my 25 Trophy Plus. Same top end speeds, only real difference was in the mid range area, my jump from 45 to 55 MPH was much quicker....I've put my trophy plus back on and carry the Fury for a spare.....;)

Fury 24 pitch (yes... 24 pitch) on my Triton TR-20X / 225 Optimax combo. Performed better than my Tempest did, and even replaced my PowerTech TRO-4 as my "go to" prop. I had tried a Fury 25 and although it was probably the fastest prop I ever had on my boat, the boat was really loose. Not chine walk loose - I'm used to that. Just really "squirrely" - the rear end was all over the place at top speed. I didn't like the feeling, and since it really didn't give me the hole shot I wanted and I couldn't get it to max rpm's, I kept looking.

With the 24 pitch Fury, I get better holeshot, a bit of midrange punch, and about the same / little bit less top end than I did with my TRO-4. I wanted a holeshot prop for the Texas heat, and this one did the trick for my boat.

Remember - what works on one might not work on the other, and vice versa. Only way to really tell what it will do on YOUR rig is to run it on YOUR rig. :)

All the best,

Glenn

Rob,

Mac is without aboat and his last few were Yammies.

I have a Fury 25" that I ordered of a certificate I won in a tournament a few years ago. I ran it once and it is now my spare. Loved the prop. Great holeshot, gained about 5mph over my 25" trophy Plus but HATED the rough water grip of it. At high trim angles (to keep my 520 from spearing, it would blow out. NOT GOOD! It would grip better with lower trim angles but it was too close to spearing in my rig. I guess if I took some plastic out of the bow (LOTS OF TUBES...lol) it would do better. I keep saying that I would run it on calm days, but I dont like swapping props based on weather.

The nose cone you refer to is a great addition but it is totally dependant on the install. If it is off a bit, you are jacked and witha 175 or 200 (I think you anve the 175??) you arent going to see any real performance gains. That cone is designed for boats that run in excess of 80mph and your Ranger wont ever see that off the trailer.

I would save the money on the cone, get a prop that you like and send it in for some work (B&B) and be happy. Some hulls just wont run in the 70's and how many days do you get to run WOT all the time on Champlain? I run a consitant 64-67mph WOT on flat water fully loaded with fuel, livewells and a tourney partner. That is fast for me enough when the conditions are right.

Just my .02

I hear ya Mini. I want the nose cone so I can fully utilize my plate. I can barely lift it at all without losing water pressure. I want to be able to see if I can get an extra mph or two and be able to run up shallow. I think I will skip the Fury and send my Tempest out to get blueprinted/Bogerized. I'm running same mph as you mini, just used to get 2mph faster out of the old girl, about 500 hrs ago! ;)

Hey Jimbo...give me a call on my cell tonight. Headed back to the jail but I want to ask you a few questions about your opener. I have an ABA tourney that day, plus I think Albany Bassmasters is here and Plunder Bay has their open on the south end, (lot of guys will make the run north for the toads). Plus there are at least 3-4 tourneys I can't name on other smaller ramps.

I cant beleive you dont run a trophy plus on that rig. I thought champlain got rough?

Champlain is like glass all the time......NOT. I am getting a merc high 5 just for champlain.

I run a fury on my 250 pro xs, I give it 8 out of 10 stars.Like mini said it does blow out on anything over 2-3 footers.

you know I like the 4 blade better with my boat the 24 Trophy is my favorite prop, yes the 25 3 blade is faster but I don't like it. 4 weeks ago two 3/4 tanks full gear & a 200 lb partner boat was doing great top speed that day was 67.8. Two weeks ago the same but with Craig just a little lighter body weight but more tackle hit 69.3, fastest I've been in a while all I did was new spark plugs! For the first time in like 10 years I'm not fishing Champlain opening weekend and I'm loving it! The Large mouth are done in Ticonderoga plus its beat down there!, I beat a lot of smallies are up or done as well. Let me know some of the results. Good luck next weekend.

Mark

Latest posts

Back