Fuel lines

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris F.

Reaction score
For those of you that have replaced your fuel lines, did you get them at an auto parts store or are there marine grade ones avaliable. I don't have any type of boat dealer where I live. Merc. 2003 200 EFI. Thanks, Chris F.

Chris, just make sure they are rated to protect against ethenol. I'm not sure if the auto parts stores carry them but, likely they do. I get mine at Bass Pro. They can be ordered online also. If you prefer to get them at the auto parts stores, and they're not rated for protecting against ethenol, I'd change them each Spring. Cheap enough and easy to do that often.

Checked with the auto parts stores here in town. They all say that ethenol will not damage the fuel lines. I even talked to a car repairman that that is authorized to work on mercs and he said that "is how the marine industry is trying to sell their fuel lines". I feel like everyone is just giving me a bunch of bs. Chris F.

I think there is a certain Mil spec number on the hose for ones that can handle alcohol in the gas. I know I checked mine and they were the right number. I will have to check again and get the number. I thin you can search past posts and it is already posted.

In a nutshell, the USCG regs boil down to above and below deck ratings. Semi-permeable is accepted for above deck uses (like exposed bass boat, small fishing boats like most here reference) and non-permeable for below deck use (like live aboards, inboards, etc.). I've used the double insulated, automotive style, bulk fuel hose on many bass boats over the years without any issues. Additionally, I've used injector line hose for similar applications. (The injector line is more expensive, but does not leave black marks as bad over time.) Both per foot are much more affordable AND more durable than I've found with marine rated/supplied fuel line. Good luck! ;)

Why take chances? My outboard is the single most expensive item on my boat to replace. I use the recommended oils and greases it calls for. I service it otherwise as recommended too. I want it to keep me going on the water and not cause me to get towed back to a ramp. And cost Lord knows how much to get repaired!

I've seen the current fuels ruin many smaller engines i.e. lawnmowers, trimmers, pressure washers etc.. The internal gaskets, fuel lines and other parts get ruined relatively quick in them. It may take a little longer but, outboards don't have any claim to being unaffected. Even cars and trucks show the effects of todays fuels.

Many, (if not most) people spend tens of thousands of dollars on their boats. Why after that, would anyone not spend a few dollars to replace fuel lines as recommended? Recommended fuel lines @ $25.00 or any fuel line @ $8.00.......IMHO it's a no-brainer!!

I want to change them out. There are no marine grade ones avaliable where I live. I know I can order some, I don't understand why I get conflicting information from the auto parts stores. Chris F.

The reason you are getting conflicting information from an auto parts store is that they do not deal with Marine Grade Fuel lines. The only line I have seen that is suspect is the Mercury brand line that runs from the bulb to the motor. Its silver or grey in color and has writing on it. The red writing is that bad stuff the black writing is the good stuff.

The interior lining gets eaten by the ethanol. Just google images: "mercury fuel lines and ethanol degrade"

Latest posts

Back