Fuel gauge / sending unit install?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Barbieri

Reaction score
My fuel gauge has been reading only slightly above empty when I turn the key. It moves only a little bit. I know I have a full tank. So I crossed a wire over the two terminals at the top of the sending unit and the gauge went to full. I assume it is the sending unit that is the problem. My question is #1-how much do the sending units cost??? and #2-how hard is it to install a new one??? I have a 2001 Tracker Pro Deep V17. I can reach in to acess the unit but there is not much room in there where the tank is.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

They are not that expensive. Check that you have room to lift it out, on my Nitro there is room. Even with a new and calibrated one, these are only semi-accurate at best. I still often look at the tank itself to know exactly how much I have.

Before you buy a new one, remove the old one and see if it's fouled. Deposits from gasoline can build up on the shaft of the movement and cause it to bind. It's probably shot and needs to be replaced, but check for an obstruction first.

Is it just a matter of unbolting and lifting out and then bolting in a new one if I need to?

At the doctors office today, I came across an article in Bass & Walleye Boats on this very subject. I thought about stealing the magazine for you but was overcome with honesty as I approached the door. It was the June issue, you should be able to find one or I'll bet one of the member here has it and can copy the article and send it to you.

My fuel gauge has been reading only slightly above empty when I turn the key. It moves only a little bit. I know I have a full tank. So I crossed a wire over the two terminals at the top of the sending unit and the gauge went to full. I assume it is the sending unit that is the problem. My question is #1-how much do the sending units cost??? and #2-how hard is it to install a new one??? I have a 2001 Tracker Pro Deep V17. I can reach in to acess the unit but there is not much room in there where the tank is.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
How did you get to the sending unit?

I own a 2001 tracker targa combo and i changer my fuel sender unit. The original one is a float arm one like in a toilet which would move up and down with the waves. I changed it to one I bought on ebay that is more accurate. I used a 1/4 inch rachet and socket set to remove the five screws,mark which way the arm is facing before removal because the five screws are not equal distance and will only mount one way,you can find videos on utube. Took me about 2 hours and a sore arm. You have to measure the depth to the bottom of the tank and get a length about 1" shorter,good luck
Screenshot_20210903-075920_eBay.jpg

I own a 2001 tracker targa combo and i changer my fuel sender unit. The original one is a float arm one like in a toilet which would move up and down with the waves. I changed it to one I bought on ebay that is more accurate. I used a 1/4 inch rachet and socket set to remove the five screws,mark which way the arm is facing before removal because the five screws are not equal distance and will only mount one way,you can find videos on utube. Took me about 2 hours and a sore arm. You have to measure the depth to the bottom of the tank and get a length about 1" shorter,good luckView attachment 1722
I forgot to add the unit is under the round screw in hatch about 6" in diameter in front of the motor

Latest posts

Back