Frustrating Then Better Weekend

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Allen

Reaction score
Went to one of the Bass Pro/Blue Green Resort deals this past weekend. Did a 3 night, 4 day stay at Shenendoah Crossings in Va. Great looking lake although it is only about 60 acres. There was never more than 3 or 4 boats fishing at any given time. Went out on the lake Friday evening with my dad and granddaughter. Dad caught a few and I was pretty much busy with the 4 year old. When we got out from the dock, I discovered I didn't have any power to my fish finders. No problem I thinks, cranking battery didn't hold a charge for some reason. On the way back to the ramp and way farther away than I wanted to be, the trolling motor gives out. Luckily, it was only a 60 acre lake. I get out the one short paddle and we go slowly back to the ramp. Took the boat back to the camp and tried checking it out. My cranking battery was too far gone to charge and the DC battery is saying full charge, but the trolling motor won't go. I say screw it and go to Wally World and buy two new batteries. They were both 6 years old anyhow. Back to camp and cranking is fine, but trolling still doesn't work. Found a tiny little tab on the short preventer(?) coming off the trolling battey positive cable. Pushed it in and bingo bango the TM works! After 3 hours of checking everything! Went out Saturday evening (without 4 year old) and caught 7 really good post spawn LMs. Things were very more better! :cool: Wish I would have known about that little tab earlier...

Scott

Its a circuit breaker. ALL trolling motor systems SHOULD have them. Lesson learned!

Been there and done the same thing. On my previous boat (boy - I hate typing that line), the 'reset' was under the connection, so the only way you could get to it or see it was taking the connection off of the battery post itself.

Tex

I carry a set of jumper cables for just that kind of trouble. Even jumped off a game warden one time!

Same issue I had this weekend as I prepped the boat for spring. Ordered a replacement from Amazon.com. Hope it gets here before my planned shakedown on Saturday.

Lamar,

I would've jumped it, but the lake is electric only. I was still going to chance it and run the gas motor to get back to the dock, but the only other person out there had run down their battery to the point of paddling also. What a day! :wacko:

Scott

Latest posts

Back