For Texas Transplant - Rod Building Update

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ND Bass

Reaction score
TT, just a quick update on the ongoing enjoyment/usage we're getting out of the Rod building bonanza.

I rebuilt a rod for my old high school buddy and sent it back to him. Turns out I forgot to put a hook keeper on it.

Well, my son (14) had enough experience from us working together to bring all the equipment he needed on a trip to grandmas and install the hook keeper on his own. I can't tell you how proud I am of his work.

Can't thank you enough sir! God Bless!

Nice rods! I hired a guide on lake fork who showed me his rods that he has specially made. The eyes start in front of the reel as normal but curl around the rod sothat the line is feeding off the bottom by the time it gets to then end of the rod. He claimed it increased his casting distance.

Thanks Glen. I've seen some info on rods with this spiral eyes myself. Sounds like the benefit is casting distance but I would be concerned with torque with the retrieve, hook set and with a fish on.

Anyone with info on this?

I think the rotating eye's is called a Roberts' Wrap.

I have two, one 6'6" and 6'9" and yes the cast is great but the real advantage is at no time does the line touch the rod which means less friction and the action is like using spinning rod but with a bait cast reel and it is very sensitive . Both have micro guides also......

The micro guides are da bomb. I thought I would have a problem with braid wrapping on them but it never has. I have my trap rod rigged with the micro's and it'll pitch them a country mile!!

Thanx for that info Tox. I kinda' wondered about the MG's like on the Duckett Rods...may have to add one to the collection.

TEE

So far I've had nothing but good things to say about the micro's and I was a skeptic ordering one. Now Micros and a spiral configuration I don't have any experience with. The only thing I see that might be a problem is when you make one of your trips to Dale and it's cold outside. Wouldn't take much to freeze up one of those small guides. I am in the process of setting up 3 "sets" of rods. One set for St Clair, one for the Potomac and one for lake fishing. Each set should have 4-6 rods in it.

TOXIC

Just to confirm, the MG's will freeze up below 32 degrees. I've learned this first hand a few years ago. Not ideal on a winter spooning rod.

Latest posts

Back