? for Greg

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
You sure are a popular guy. That's what makes this site awesome....the resources available like Bob and Greg and others.

I have a new 798 in the box. Reading all about these updates, do I need to update anything on it, when I install it this spring? I am NOT good with computers. These posts and my marine electronics are the extent of my PC literacy! I got excited when I figured out how to put attachments on my e-mails!

What does this update do? I don't want to mess up my brand new unit.

I was looking forward to repping H'bird at nationals in March by wearing at least my hat, but regs clearly state I CANNOT wear any logos of companies that conflict with FLW sponsors. I wish that since they use Minn Kota trolling motors (another Johnson outdoor product) that they would also use Humminbird graphs rather than Lowrance.

I was a Lowrance man for years, but their quality and customer service has gone to the wayside in recent years.

To me, trying to make the jump to fishing for a living, reliability and service are the key factors. I pay more for H'birds than I would for Lowrance, but it's worth every penny. Plus I tend to like the side imaging picture better on birds. Just a personal preference.

I would install the unit, power it up, and check what version came from factory. When you register the product (if you haven't already), your "account/profile" will list your equipment and offer a link for "upgrades". Unless the number of the upgrade version is higher than the number on the factory version, you are up to date.

I just installed my new 798, dry tested it, and booked out on Thursday morning. I went ahead and downloaded from Hb.com the latest version they listed Thursday night because I don't have internet access at the river house where I keep the boat. Tomorrow when I get back, I'll check which version is latest. I'll bet the factory version is up to date.

Whether the unit software is current or not depends on when it was mfg., not when you bought it. You don't know how long it was in the dealer's stock.

If you look at the unit serial number, the first 6 digits are the date of mfg.

Year/Month/Day. The lastest software was released around Nov 11, 2011.

If your mfg date is on or after that date, you have the newest software.

Whether a regular GPS for a car; a computer; current version of software; etc - they all need updating from time to time. As stated above, after you get it up and running - check the current level of the software load (version) and check it against the HB site. You can also just check on the HB site to see what both the version and 'date' are; compare it to what date you bought your unit. Then you will have a pretty good idea of whether or not you need to do an update.

If you are not computer literate, find a high school student (one that likes to fish would love to help I'm sure). Alternately just a high school student. Problem solved.

Tex

So what Wayne P. is saying is that you don't have to power-up the unit: the serial number provides date of manufacture. However, as far as I know, you still have to register it to get to the update link.

Rob,

I would still check and see what version software is in the actual unit. Although we may have officially released a software on a certain date the reality of it may be that it did not get into newly produced PCBs for days (or in rare circumstances: weeks) afterwards. This really is dependant on what the software update is for.

Right now the current software for all 798 units is 5.840.

Post back what the actual model name of your unit is (we have made several different versions of the 798 unit) as shown when it starts up and what software version it says it has and I can tell you what new features/functions and changes will be made if you go to the 5.840 software.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

Greg,

Another issue is that I don't know how to go about registering my unit for warranty purposes. It was one that was awarded to our state TBF club and raffled off. I didn't win the raffle but bought it from the winner. I don't have a receipt. I doubt highly that I will need the warranty, but in the event I do, am I even eligible for one?

Not if you bought the unit from an individual Rob.

We only warranty to the original purchaser who I think would be the TBF club or possibly the winner of the raffle. You could call the Humminbird Customer Resource folks to help get your unit registered and ask them about whether your unit is covered by the warranty or not as they would know for sure. 1-800-633-1468

Greg Walters at Humminbird

Jumping in where I probably shouldn't. Whenever I have registered a product (not speaking about HBird in particular - but in general), I never had to present a receipt or proof of purchase other than the model and/or serial number.

If it was a 'new in the box' unit that had never been used (and/or registered), how would HBird even know?

Go on line and attempt to register it. It will either work or it won't.

Tex

Tex is right: we (Humminbird) would not know. In fact you can register a used unit without problem (that is as long as it is a valid serial number in our database

Latest posts

Back