For Glass Eyes Only

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Sounds like a new James Bond movie doesn't it?

It's time for me to make all of you tin guys gag and power down your computers because my glass boys (and ladies)and I are going on a little vanity trip. You see, one of the many benefits to buying glass is that you can get it in oooooo soooooo many colors and combinations of colors. Since I will be selling the "lucky boat" in the near future, I get the WONDERFUL task of color coding a new 929. If you go to my library you will see "Goldie" (yeah we also have pet names for our rigs). I don't know what the color scheme is called but I refer to it as VIVA Las Vegas!! So much gold, silver and black glitter it looks like a Vegas show girl. I'm not sure I want to go that route again. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. When it's all polised up (which is all the time) it looks like a million bucks. But sometimes I feel like I should wear a Liberache style coat and put a baby grand on the front deck. I've been looking at the solid gels-no flake, but I'm not sure I like that either. I need some opinions (something we're never short of here on this board) on what you would choose and why. The only thing I won't do again is a black interior. I still have blisters on my @ss from some hot summer days. I probably won't consider the new yellow/red/black combo unless Mac can get me a great deal on a matching yellow H2 Hummer, that would have to be a package deal.

Now all you tin guys just zip it and let us glass folks bask in the glory of all that which is glass.

What d'ya think Rob, did I grind it in good enough?? Should we show em' some mercy now?

TOXIC

NOPE! Let 'em sweat! LOL They got 2 colors to pick from, tarnished or polished. That's keeps 'em busy enough! Careful, trout might come get us in this thread too! LOL For me, I like a little sparkle. I really like the way mostly white boats look. But they are HARD to keep looking clean. But a performance white hull with charcoal or grey interior. I like the navy blue highlights and stripes. Those can be in the sparkle finish, with a cap colored silver or off blue in sparkle also. Just what I would pick. And yeah, I hear ya on the black! WHY would anyone pick that? I wish they would change the color of TM pedals! I've stuck many a bare foot on those bad boys only to do the immediate Native, hop on one leg in circles, while cussing, dance for the locals to see!

Do you have specific colors you use for your business cards for your guide service? If you have a logo or something I would try to match those colors. Kind of like your boats "uniform/business suit".

But, what do I know, I drive TIN! ;)

damuniz

HEY, get outa here! Cain't you read???? Dis here's a special club. No girls....er, um I mean tin owners allowed! LOL But I like your idea. I use hunter green on tan cards. Sounds good for tin, I've seen it on Lunds before, but not for glass. Now, blue and grey......see above! LOL

I wish they would change the color of TM pedals! I've stuck many a bare foot on those bad boys only to do the immediate Native, hop on one leg in circles, while cussing, dance for the locals to see!

Then it snowed in the Bahamas!!

TOXIC

ok, THAT was an accident. You ain't pinning that one on me! How was I to know. It didn't say anything in the manual about that! Besides, the bahamians were estatic over finally getting snow.

Actually this thread is a good argument for TIN owners. See, you glass guys spend so much time picking out colors amd matching fabric that you may as well bring your wives to do the job for you, LOL! And then, 6 months down the road you wished that you had picked a different color scheme all together...

Us TIN guys know what we want right from the get-go, no fancy colors, just structure, quality and no GLASS or colors. Very simple really :)

While you guys are out polshing and shining your GLASS, we TIN guys are out on the water fishing, haha.

I'm curious. Can fiberglass be recycled once its outlived its usefulness?

I'm with Rob on this one. I always like the white boats with flake trims. A good contrasting trim like dark green, red, blue, or grey. Next boat I order will have gray/silver trim, and a black pinstripe....I think... ah hell, I can't decide.

I would only pick gray carpets so they always look fairly clean, even when dirty. Tan gets oil stains and crap really easy. I have never understood why anyone would even think of picking black carpet. Maybe they've never gone fishing before, or don't mind sitting in ovens.

MoFish...

Fiberglass NEVER outlives it usefulness...

Only a Tin owner worries about that.

Come on glass...get to CRACKIN'...he he . Hey Rob...better have your sunglasses on when I bring that tin out or get blinded by the light....oh that's right..you've never seen the light!

TEE

Then why is it that when I drive by this one boat junkyard, all I see are 1960's and 70's era fiberglass boats sitting out on the ground, no trailer, no motor, sprouting grass and flowers from the casting deck? Why don't they recycle those boats?

Can you recycle fiberglass?

Yes...you can recycle fiberglass there Mo...they make Christmas ornaments out of em'.....purty or shiny DON'T CATCH FISH!

TEE

They could at least sink those fiberglass boat for structure and then we would not have to see them sitting in the junkyard.

In all seriousness Mo,

I would think that the fiberglass could be recycled into "something", but it is probably cost prohibitive at this point.

Besides, those boats are just waiting for the right home. There was an article on someone restoring an original Skeeter somewhere.

Right now, they're just "planters", but I'll bet that the majority are still sea worthy.

You guys have WAY too much time on your hands...NOW GO POLISH YOUR BOATS!

TEE

Hey, you're one to be talkin about polishing a boat. Didn't you just finish chroming your proteam??? LOL

Toxic I agree with the crowd . If I ever had to do it again I Would get a white boat with some metalflake highlights and a light grey carpet

Yep..put the finishin' touches on it. I should have my Sharkhide hopefully this week(although it won't matter anyway for being cold) and I can prep it for application. They claim it'll last 4 to 5 years on a trailered rig. You know I get some strange looks when I wipe down my tin. But it really does keep the scumline down once it's polished. Before.. it would last about a year on my 95' but, had to re-do it the following year. I was concerned about cracking,peeling or fading but, they guarantee it won't. We'll see........

TEE

Tox,

I too like the looks of a white boat, but I really love the color scheme of my 190 TF! That and alot of people say," I didn't know you could get a boat the same color of Dale Earnhardt's race car!!" The only time I have burnt myself on it is when the wife and I were skinny.. never mind!

Tim

Tim,

I too like black (hides the scorch marks) but as far as maintenance goes, there is a lot higher chance of oxidation. I should know, I spent half the summer buffing mine out. The glass on the trailer fender (port side) is still a little cloudy but it is not like the boat itself. To tell you the truth, I'm thinking of doing the same scheme again only getting the interior in a buckskin color.

TOXIC

I'm thinking of redueing my Avalanche, since its tin but paints like a car, how's about I paint some half dressed woman on it holding up glass boats.

Well since some of ya dont have to worry about your gell coat turning on ya since ya get new boats fairly regular which I would think the flake probably helps, go back to the flake. As for me I liked the new elites without the flake, I got the red black white combo ordered for my 901, Plus it goes with the red truck I (my wife) has(I only get to drive it to the tourneys) it will look good going down the road anyway.

Well here we go again....the old tin vs. glass debate. Will it ever end..? Probably not, but being a tin owner myself, sometimes I feel the need to come up with some witty remark about the glass boats. Being someone who chooses his words carefully, I have decided to hold off commenting until I can give the subject my full attention. I have decided that I will ponder the subject in May, on the last Saturday before Memorial Day when I blast off in the White Lake opening day bass tourney. It is a shotgun start, and the satisfaction I get when I throw the hammer down on my 150/TV-18, as her light hull jumps out of the hole far quicker than those big fat glass rigs, perhaps inspiration will come then. Or perhaps when I reach her 62 mph top end and still no fat glass rigs in sight, where could they be, oh there they are, just coming onto plain, perhaps inspiration will hit me then. Or maybe it will come 5 minutes into fishing, when finally that glass rig pulls up near me and he finally starts to fish...or maybe I won't think of anything at all to say, I'll respectfully wave, wish him luck and respect his choice of boat be it glass or tin, cause when it all boils down..we're all just a bunch of fishin fools...

Ok Smitty, you insulted my pride! My fat glass rig gets on plane in less than 10 seconds and reaches top end of 58 mph in just 20-25 seconds. If I'm far behind, I'm NOT far behind. And when the water turns rough and your LIGHT boat has to slow down so you don't kill yourself, I will merrilly run by you still at 3/4 throttle waving respectfully! LOL COMEON SPRING! BTW, the wheelbarrell struck last night, but I missed the bite! Dang it! Almost caught my 48 lb GSP though! LOL

Slow down..!! You apparently have'nt ridden in a TV18, she'll run with any 18 footer, tin or glass....St. Clair tested, St. Clair tough....!!

Smitty:

He has ridden in a TV-18 (Marke's), just not one with a 150. Holeshot on mine is THREE seconds, and it tops out in 10 to fifteen.

I've outrun comparable 18-foot glass boats that couldn't handle the rough water we were in and THEY had to back off. It's the fear of those stress cracks that get 'em to slow down. Either that, or their fragile BUTTS.

(And as far as weight goes, my TV-18 with me in it is just as heavy as Rob's boat with him in it.)

You saying I'm fat???? I'll have you know, I'm 5'10" and only 190 lbs. I weighed 155 when I got married, it's all my wife's fault! But I'm not even 200 lbs there Mo! I don't have the foggiest though on my hull weight. Wonder if there is a place to find that out???

Chill out there, Rob. No, I'm not saying YOU'RE fat. Read it again. You said the TV-18 was a LIGHT hull. Ergo, the glass hull is heavier. Put drivers in them and they equal out.

Now....WHO'S fat?

OK, that's better! But I doubt the hull weights are really that far off. I think the Av's outweigh my rig.

I think my hull weighs something like 1500 lbs including the outboard; no gas, no gear. Add me and the weight shoots up to 1730. 41 gallons of gas at 6 lbs per gallon adds another 250 lbs, and I'll bet I'm carrying 200 pounds worth of gear and tackle. Thats over a ton of weight, not including water in the livewell, or an extra fishing partner!

HEY!! This was not a glass vs. tin thread......I just wanted to know what color to get my new 929 in!! Since tin is ......well "limited" in color options, I thougt it more prudent to address it to the "glass" riders. I think the fever has everyone!! All except those that live out on the right coast and them that fly that funny bars and stars flag LOL. Maybe I should word it a little different,

what's your favorite boat/interior color?

TOXIC

btw...Rob Offer ANY of these tin guys a new 929 straight trade for their tin rig and how many takers you think you'd get? 99.9%?

ONLY 200 lbs of gear? Geesh! I bet my tackle alone is 50-60 lbs, rods and reels, 40+ lbs. Anchor is 15, plus tool box, batteries, and misc, I add at least 300-350 lbs in gear in the boat aside from the gas and livewells and personal weight you mention. Also consider they don't count the TM which mine is almost 80 lbs! I bet your average 18 footer runs around 2,200 lbs on the water. Then add 800 lbs for a trailer and you tow around 3,000 lbs. Now take a 19 or 20 footer in glass and you've got to be pushing 2 tons. Good thing for brakes!

Nope, straight 100%! LOL Now switch the trade, how many glass guys would swap to a fully loaded HP 190 with a 175 on it??? Probably very few. I do like the Express, and Avs though. You gotta admit their aspiration to be more like glass is flattering! LOL

I'm the 0.01% that WOULDN'T take a straight trade from my tin to a 929.

Tox: Colors I like on glass are white, silver, green, gold and a touch of black. The carpet would be tan or buckskin. No glitter, except in the "swooshes" on the side of the boat.

I like the 9-series Nitro color code: Code: 03GEL-12, but I'd customize and change the hull inset from Onyx to that dark green (with sparkles!).

See Tox, something NOT right with that boys head! LOL

Rob, it comes from backing up one too many steps on a fiberglass diving board. The six-foot fall to concrete, landing flat on my back and head, gives me a permanent anti-glass bias!! LOL!!

I don't know now...I think you can order the tin in...

LIGHT GREY /grey overlay

DARK GREY /grey overlay

POLISHED/Chrome overlay

ooops..I forgot Standard Grey.

TEE

HHHHMMMM, let's see what color to get in a fiberglass sparkly rig...?? That all depends on what goes with my ostrich feather hat, leisure suit and platform shoes with the goldfish in the heels...thats right, cause if I'm gonna cruise around in that sparkly pimp daddy rig I gotta look the part...!!! Could even have them stencil "huggy bear" on the cowling....

TEE, you forgot Black. (Its just a really dark version of Standard Grey!!)

Tox - the ONLY way i'd take that trade would be IF you threw in a TRUCK to tow it with it!!!

Latest posts

Back