Food Suggestions? High Protein, Carbs, Calories ...SOFT!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK Gang, my mouth is getting a little better, I can chew a few soft things, still can't open the mouth too wide (no comments!!! :D) I'm tired of drinking smoothies, milk shakes, diet/energy drinks and pasta along with apple sauce in ice cream.

I need my energy up and i get tired easily lately as i'm not geting my usual intake of food. What soft (think small bites, spoon or small fork) can I make/buy that will keep the weight on, energy level up and keep me going???

Trep

If I had to pick one food to live on for the rest of my life it would be chocolate ice cream...right out of the carton.

Not sure what your tastes are. My first thoughts, besides ice cream, are; Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, Kraft Macaroni & Cheese with tuna, Navy Bean Soup, Chili, Corned Beef Hash, Mashed Potatoes & gravy, baked fish, Cream of Wheat, Tuna, canned peaches or pears, pudding....that's all I got for now.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.:)

Harpo

Quick energy you need Carbs. Long lasting energy you need Protein. There are so many things you can do with eggs. Soft Protein Bars with high "Protein Rates". I buy the one's from Costco. They are a little better tasting than most. 30 grams of protein. One a day will keep your energy up. I take a couple with me when I am out all day Fishing/Hunting. Pasta with small cuts of Beef will also be a good choice. Has both Carbs and Protein. Mashed Tators with a heavy Beef Gravy. Damn, I am making my self Hungry. Think I will pull out a Big Juicy Steak for Dinner!! LOL

Max <><

BEER, Covers it all..comes out smooth also...Personally i don't care It I ever eat as long as they make beer..i Go to the hosp tuesday heart going weird on me..need more beer,,Remember Trep A case a day keeps the doc away...Also have a shot of tequila...Keeps It all even.....Wish me luck..Everything else seems to go to hell...JR:) yOU WILL BE FINE OLE FRIEND..jr

Trep,

Get yourself a Bass-o-matic!!

Glad to hear you are doing better!

Rich D:rolleyes:

Bass-o-matic LOL. I had forgotten all about that one. SNL sure was great back then.:D

I like JR's idea.

Steve
4631.gif

JR - Good luck on the old ticker, and YES finaly tonite i'm hitting the hot tub with a cold beer! I do need a bottle of tequila though!!

Max - Good ideas, had not thought of mashed patatos!!!, on the protein bars, gotta wait till i can eat more crunchy/crumbly food, good ideas on the other meats, i realy love meat, but other then meat sauce on my pasta can't think of realy soft ones.

Started working around the garage today to get her cleaned out and ready for a year empty, took a nap, jaw/cheek is still very sore and its weird not having those 3 teeth, but I gotta work next week, so need to buck up.

Thanks guys!!

Trep, how about something like ground beef, prepared like a sloppy Joe?

Glad you are on the mend!

Trep, The protein bars that I get are not the "Crumbly/Crunchy" type. Pretty soft Bars. I got my dad to eat them and he has False teeth and they really help him during the day. Plus, you can always eat them after you feel better for long days at work or play. They really work.

Max <><

I can't think of anything that hasn't been suggested Trep. I was going to say Frosty's from Wendy's but you say you're tired of that. I love them.:p I had four implants put in and that's what I ate, along with instant mashed potatoes, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, Soups and Chili,

Creamed Tuna Fish<-I love it, and I ate a lot of what Rich suggested. Once I tried that I thought it was Ambrosia.:) Hey, how about S.O.S.? could you handle that?

I take a few pain pills too Michael but I still had my beer or two or a cocktail or brandy as long as I was home.

I'm happy to hear you seem to be better so now let's get all the way better!!

Uncle Billy

Chicken nugget sandwich, with sauce and chesse. Ha. Ha.

Going healty, I new somehow I would rub off on you.

D

BOOST regular.That's what they gave me to put the weight back on after I had colon surgery. Also contains everything else you body needs to survive.

Good luckTrep.

I'll choose to argue with Max above. Carbs are what provide the energy, not protien. And carbs will provide long time energy, that's why cyclists and trialtheles 'carbo load' before racing.

Scrambled eggs for sure, for added protien - throw in some cheese and seasonings. Best protien available.

Tuna salad with eggs. Make sure the tuna is broken up really well, and chop the eggs fairly fine. Make it slightly on the 'soupy' side, since your chewing ability is limited.

Have to agree with the suggestion on mac n cheese.

Sautee some talipia filets (get em at the grocery) so that they are just done, with some spices on them (cajun, garlic/chives/onion, etc). Very easy to eat and won't be 'big' either.

If you like soup, try some cream of mushroom 'progresso'. It's very good, and most of the shroom's are very easily swallowed without a lot of chewing.

If you can chew at least a little bit, try this.

Make a grilled cheese sandwhich from: havarti, fontina and brie cheese. Yes, it will look too thick, but it will 'compress' during the cooking cycle. Make as you would normally in a frying pan or sandwhich machine, but don't let the bread get too hard/crusty. Cut it into smaller bites and enjoy. It is the best grilled cheese that you will ever eat.

Hang in there.

Tex

OK guys, I HATE Eggs and Tuna fish!!!! I know, i'm a wussy!!!

Rich - Love scallops, gotta add that to the list!!

Uncle Billy - Love Mac-n-Cheese and past/meat sauce. I would love all my man parts and other parts if I suggested "Instant" mashed patato's in this house! Thats all my mom fixed us as a kid, my Mother-n-law CRINGES if I even mention Hungry Jack!!!! LOL

Max - Had Beka make me a batch of home made mashed taters for breakfast to go with my coffee and ice cream!!!

Tex - Wife suggested the soup route, may have to add that, I just am not a soup guy. I like my food thick, chewy, crunchy and meaty! (Ok with sugar and/or chocolate too!!! LOL)!!

last night she served pasta and garlic bread, the rest of the family also had pork chops, but I could not chew that yet :-(

Trep

Hmm, I looked at my post and I did say Carbs provided energy. Quick energy for a guy who needs a pep because of surgery. Prob with carbs is that it burns quickly. Hense the phrase "Quick energy". Protein helps with building muscle and with more Muscle you have more strength for the long haul.

Beer just sounds so much easier... I vote beer! Beer, the breakfast of (some) champions!

Trep, try pureed Turkey, or other meats pureed over mashed potatoes and gravy, also squash, sweet potates will give you some vitiams.

Buzz

All the above foods (soft stuff) tuna, eggs , ground round, will do the trick. As far a carbs for energy, remember you are not running a marathon so fruit juice will work for that but you need quality animal protein from the above again. For a break from that, get a powder protein supplement from wal mart 'body fortress-100% whey protein' 2 lbs. cost about $11. Each scoop has 23 grams and you can add a spoon of cottage cheese, strawberries , bananna or other fruit, carnation instant milk, peanut butter, and milk into a blender and you should have a great power drink that taste great.......take it from an ole bodybuilder, this will do the trick even when things are back to normal.....kenny g.

Here are a couple of additions and a twist on Mashed potatoes: Cornbread, frozen juice like frozen margaritas with or without rum or tequia, salmon croquettes (can mash them up if you have to), mashed potatoes with cheese or cream cheese and chives, cottage cheese, cous cous, stove top dressing.

Back