Fogging Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGCBAG

Reaction score
Hey guys, Is it ok not to fog my engine if I'm storing it inside(not heated) with full tank and fuel additive in gas?

NO. You must "oil the cylinders" or "fog". Prolonged periods of non-use can allow rust to form on crucial engine components such as bearings, rings, cylinders, etc. ;)

OK that's what I'll do then.:cool:

Thanks Bob.

Bob - how important is it to not only get the cylinders through the spark plug holes, but the carb as well? I've shot the cylinders directly, but haven't removed the air filter to go direct into the carbs. BTW, this is a Yamaha VMax 150hp so I understand if you don't want to opine. I promise either way not to hold it against you! :D

No problem Jim. The correct procedure is to remove the air box and spray the fogging oil directly into the carb Venturi while the motor is running. Doing this, it will lube and protect the crank, bearings, cylinders, etc. If you just introduce it through the plug hole, it really doesn't protect nearly as well or as thorough. ;)

BTW....as of about a month ago......we are a new YAMAHA dealer...in addition to MERC of course...:D

Thanks Bob. Good news on being a Yammy dealer - now if you were only closer . . . :lol:

Can't wait to get my hands on one. :rolleyes:

As far as "making oil", it is fairly common on the large 4-strokes. Can happen a couple of different ways....

1. Condensation build-up from extended trolling and low-rpm use. USUALLY this can be remedied from running the motor at higher rpms to "burn off" the excess.

2. Fuel wash-down / dilution. A far worse scenario, usually from rings not seated properly during the break-in process.

3. Mechanical problem. Injector pulse width {flooding}, stuck, excessive fuel pressures, etc. ;)

It ain't good, they're poppin like a microwave bag of Orville Redenbacher's popcorn. I've been following it and the suggestions to avoid are off the wall. Keep us posted!!

TOXIC

Sure will.....have our first scheduled meeting tomorrow with the "Technical Account Manager", for a rundown on all the product. I'll be sure to quiz him on a topic or two....:blink::rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back