FLW....WOW!!!! (LONG)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Where to start. Well, I got to the Point au Roche launch at what I THOUGHT was early. Well with 178 boats to launch, lets just say, I was fortunate only waiting for the 30 minutes I did. I got over to the marina start point and what I saw was simply AWESOME! 178 of the country's best bass anglers and co-anglers! All those big 225's and 250's sitting there purring WOW! Well, I took out a writer from 'Heartland Adventures', if any of you get that, please look for the copy with me in it, and send me a copy PLEASE for my scrap book. He was great, we ran into a serious fog and could not see 2 boat lengths in front, very dangerous. WE went to my flats, and worked around about 15 pros to a spot that looked somewhat secluded (in the fog). After getting some fantastic pics in the fog, he wanted to wet a line, so we started fishing where there was nobody in sight. Well I could here a bait splashing, but it was in shallow, so I stayed where I was, but boy he was covering a LOT of ground! Well the fog lifted and THEY not he, all laughed, there were 15 of us all withing a stone's throw and we had never seen each other! I won't bother telling all of you all of the fish I caught BEHIND 2, 3, and sometimes 4 pros pounding my water. I will just post pics. Let me just say, that had I been in the tourney, SERIOUSLY, I would have made the top ten, and would have won today! When I got the word that I was to take delivery of a 2002 Ranger 518VX Commanche, well....who WOULDN'T be excited. And towed behind a new Chevy matching truck to take out Forrest Wood!!!!!! And Bart Schad the VP of Ranger sales! As someone said, all the hard work and back pain is paying off! LOL This was my chance and I didn't miss it. Sorry to inform you all, but if all goes to plan, I may soon be under the emply of Genmar and Ranger boats with a new 520 VX, but we will see. In all fairness, if Bayliner made a Barbie pink bass boat and it was sponsored by Wonder Bra and Fruit of the Loom, and it was FREE, I'd drive it! LOL Anyway, the whole week was amazing and every reporter, including those covering the pros that rode with me to fish, said I would have been in serious contention for the win. Today it only took 16 + lbs to win, and my best fish in only 4 hours were over 17 lbs. I am happy to announce that after 10 years of nose to the grind stone, fishing with eyelets freezing up, back pain, 4 foot white caps....yada yada, your's truly is FINALLY going to fish as a pro for my first tourney! I have picked up my first 2 sponsors (after the display of Champlain talent) and am fishing the Wal-Mart Everstart tourney next month in Ticonderoga! I took 2nd there a few years back and am hoping to win via a paid entry fee of my to date larges sponsor, the LaMoy family. My whole family wanted this so bad for me (and I for once didn't say anything LOL) that they paid my entry! I also might have a marina sponsor, a real one, and tackly maybe. I am also working with Troy the pro from Arkansas and CEO of Mizmo plastics to develop the "Champlain" tube, a signature series! Yeehaa!!!! Baby! I was in the local paper. Man I am just besides myself. The contacts I made. And the Ranger 520 DOES ride very nice. But if Nitro were to make me an offer, I would take that first! But they haven't called! Neeley....little help here! LOL Anyway, enough rambling, I will try to post pics later. Thanks for all the help and support guys, my dreams are finally starting to come true! See you at the Ever Start! Oh BTW, tonight on OLN at 8:00 pm EST is the FLW recap just taped a few hours ago. Watch next to Scott Martin's boat and you'll see me! Now it's time for bed, this pro schedule of 19 hour days is a taxing!

Rob,

It sounds like you may have started on the "journey of a lifetime" Good luck and always remember, even after those 16-20 hour long days days, fishing is suposed to be and stay fun...

Brian

Rob,

I just got done watching the FLW weigh-in on OLN and you made the cut! You can be seen taking pictures down in front.

Bob G.

Rob,

Congrats on all your recent good fortune.Live the dream.and it will come true if your hearts in it as yours seems to be.Your out there doing what so many of us dream about.FLW is an icon in the industry there is not one sane person out there who would not jump at the chance to meet let alone let alone take him out on a new Ranger.(the second best bass boat in the intire world.)lol I've said this before and I'll say it again your my idol...although in a very personnal way I hate you!lol

sinecerely,Mark G.

I,m sorry hate is to strong a word envy is what I probably really meant.But not to the point of sinning!

Hey, sitting here with my buddy Jamey, it still has not completely sunk in that I'm am going to fish my first pro tourney in less than a month. Buzz, we are still on for the $10k Northen Bass Supply Tourney, I have some new spots that will blow your mind. I also have the pics of your 2 jig n pig bass and a nice smallie from the rally. Let me know if you want to do the Green mt open too. If not, I will ask Jamey. Also, I will be prefishing in Ti a lot so you are more than welcome to come down with me. I will be focusing on jig & pig in the wood. I want everyone to know, that this is not going to my head. I have fought long and hard to get here and know that I still have a long way to go. Talked to the local Ranger rep tonight. Apparently I made a big impression on Forrest and the word is that I am one of the best bass guides on Champlain. That one was new to me. It actually has been very humbling. I really want to stay in a Nitro but if Ranger makes me a deal, well, who wouldn't take a boat at cost with a free motor! Now the grand finale!!!! When I was talking to Forrest, I told him that Brad Paisley, HUGE country artist, YES as Marke said, I like BOTH kinds of music, country AND western! LOL Anyway, he is coming up for the county fair, he does the song "I'm gonna miss her" 'the fishing song'. Forrest was in the video. Well I made the comment about how I'd love to get the chance to guide Brad, I'd be willing to do it for free, if he brought me a copy of his latest album. Well, Forrest has arranged it!!!!!! Man, I don't even know what to do with myself. PLUS, if you saw the FLW recap on OLN lastnight, I was sitting against Scott Martin's (Roland's son) boat. I asked him if he and his mom (the post divorce owners of the marina) are looking for more guides. He said, "always" especially given the endorsement of Mr. Wood himself and the FLW tourney director as being the top VT guide. They got my state wrong, but the lake right, so it's OK I guess! LOL Hosted the 2nd annual Tracker/Nitro owners rally, worked for the FLW, guided Forrest Wood, Mickey Bruce, Pat Fisher, Bill Taylor, and soon Brad Paisley, fishing my first pro tourney, and now the very real opportunity to go full time fishing between guiding here, FL on Okechobee and pro tourneys!!!!! Never would I have thought in January, that all of this would happen this year. And many thanks to my lord, my wife, my friends, my family, and definatley all of you that are somewhere between friends and family! Don't have a label for you all that I can post here.....LOL but you are all great! Later

Rob,

Congrats! I hope everything falls into place for you. We also know which side of the lake that you catch your fish on!!! If you need any "back-up" pre-fishing partners for Champlain, I'm usually off work on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Let me know.

What's the cheating incident with Rojas?

Bob G.

Have a marlboro and a cup of coffee and RELAX!!!!,...ahahaha.......Sounds like you had a GREAT time, and made some excellent contacts,.....that's a GREAT start. A little advice though,..after reading your post and feeling your level of excitment,...I couldn't help but smile....you remind me of ME when I got hooked up with some excellent sponsors and "potential" sponsors,....I was stoked to the gills and couldn't wait to tell people and especially my family!!! Well.....a LOT of things are said by people (sponsors included!!) that will make you believe that things are going to happen and you'll be in the BIG TIME in no time!!...It doesn't always work that way,.......again, things are said in the spirit of the "moment" and 2 weeks from now some of it will be forgotten and/or dropped and you end up wondering if it will EVER materialize. I'm happy as hell and very proud for you,...BUT,....don't get your hopes up so high that you end up getting all bummed out if it doesn't happen....the higher you get,..the farther you fall and the more it hurts!!...ahaaahahha......I know!! I'm speaking from Experience and Mini can tell you the same thing!! We've BOTH lived it,...you're well on your way to bigger and better things,.....but take my advice and learn to take a LOT of what you hear and what's your told, with a grain of salt,.....(actually salt lick is a good thing to carry in your truck!!) LOL...You can honestly expect out of 100% of the things that you're told,...you'll be doing GREAT if 25% of it actually happens. I am NOT rying to bust your bubble Big Dog,....merely letting you know that there is a LOT of work left to be done,...a lot more will be expected of you,...and a LOT just simply won't happen! Just keep us posted and holler if you need any help...We'll be glad to help you....good luck and best of luck on Ti,.....keep your head together and don't make me, Neeley and Mini, have to drive back out there and slap you back into reality!!! ahahahaa...just kiddin'.....good luck and keep up the GREAT work,.....you deserve it!!

Best,

Mac

Congratulations Rob, are you able to get any sleep???

I'm a big believer in 'what goes around, comes around'. That's both on the good and bad side. Obviously, you have been doin' for many for quite a while. Now it's coming back.

Keep the positive attitude, plus the hard work, and things will continue to go well for you. ATTITUDE will help overcome almost anything. You have the right one.

Regardless of the 'boat' that you are piloting, we all know where your background and heart lay.

In closing, let me just say that four words.

GO GET EM - MAN!

Rob,

mac is right....But by no means quit working at your dreams...

I have similar experience, but in the music business...We had 4 "Record deals" promissed to us before we actually had one signed...and it took 5 years. Even then we didn't make it big.

As long as you keep working at it and remember, the only person that's going to make this happen is YOU. Things just don't drop from the sky..except rain and bird****!

But stay positive and run after every lead...things will happen for ya! Then I can say "See that guy in the new Paisley video....he's a pro fisherman, I met him once, but now he won't take my phone calls!!"

Who won the FLW....from what area ?

Pierre

FLW won by Sam Newby from Pocola, OK. Edged out Dean Rojas by 1 oz. Details at www.flwtour.com.

Bob G.

Bob,

Rojas was DQ'd in a B.A.S.S. tourney for fishing in a clearly marked off limits fishing zone. They were all warned in the prefish briefing but he claimed he never heard that. B.A.S.S. covered their butt saying that he turned himself in, but the reality is that his co-angler turned him in. He lost by 1 oz yesterday, and we pulled 2 3.5 lbers right in front of him that would have easily put him in the lead. Lets just say that Mr. Rojas will not be employing the services of North Country Tours any time soon! LOL And I would tell him to take a hike anyway.

Mac,

Thanks for the advice. I know there's still a lot to be done, and a couple to the "offers" I've been made I immediately recognized as BS! Like the Ranger rep, he is full of it. And he bad mouthed OUR boats! The nerve! Like I said, if one is GIVEN to me, I'll run it. If I'm paying for a boat, well, I still like that 896 and I think it will be my next boat! BTW, Mac, I told KVD "hi and good luck" for you. He recognized you by "Mac" immediately, didn't even have to explain kin depth who you were. I felt bad that he lost the Angler of the year to Yelas. He's another one, that has done some shady things to friends of mine that are now Pros, but were at one time co-anglers and Yelas intentionally back boated them after he got outfished for the 1st half of the day. Anyway, I'm just pumped to be getting my first shot to prove myself. It's all talk until your money is on the line. I just hope to make you all proud! All the work I've done to get here, and the worst part is the hardest work is yet to come! You should see what the marina/motor sponsor wants in exchange for a free Yamaha! Ha!! How do they expect me to stay in the spot light and fish if I'm always doing shows and hosting tourneys at their marina! LOL I'll call you guys with some of the "deals" I've been offered and pick your brains on which ones are good, and which one's are putting it to me! I'm awful new at this and you guys know the ropes a LOT better! Thanks again for all the support. Nitro and Tracker owners RULE!

Excellent reply,......have fun with it and grab all you can,...just be careful and "look and ask before you leap!!".......You'll do just fine!! I knew Kevin would know me,.....I got a rather large check from him a few months ago,.....he would've remembered my name from filling out that one!!...ahahahahh

J/K,.....we talk everytime we're in the same bldg!! He's a great guy!! Can't wait to see him again at the classic,...man I'm stoked to go!!! Good luck Rob,...keep me posted with your budding career!!

Mac

Rob,

Make us all proud. I want to be able to say "I knew Rob when..." Maybe my kids better get your autograph now so they won't have to stand in line later!!!!

Bob G.

...and just think, we knew him back when he was grilling dogs at the Stonehelm!!!!

LOL, hey, I'll always grill dogs for you bunch of chow hounds! LOL

Rob,

See you out at Ticonderoga -- I'm fishing Everstart Northern region as well -- are you fishing the Mississippi wednesday?

David

Can't cut off has passed and the field is full. I'm no good on tidal water yet. Maybe next year. I have my hands full with the 2-3 tourneys I AM fishing in the next 2 months! I want to focus on them to improve my odds of finishing on top. Good luck though. If Pat Fisher fishes it, say hi for me, and tell him to give me a call.

Good to hear all your good fortune Rob.

When you talk to Bart from Ranger, tell hime Mini says hi. We had a few "pops" in Florida....lol

I am sure you will be talking to Jack Fouts too. He used to be with Nitro and is now with Ranger. Tell Jack I said hi and ask hime why he hasnt returned my emils....lol! Just kidding tell him hey for me.

Mini

Congradulations Rob. Good things come to good people who put out the effort to succeed. Keep pluggin and don't loose sight of your dream. Good Fishing Always Jim

Latest posts

Back