FLW recap

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
FLW shattered their total weight record (which was last set on Champlain in 2002) and the number of limits brought in. For those of you griping about the weights......2 MASSIVE cold fronts, 30 mph south winds on 1 day, and water temps in the 50's and 60's! That's why, if you don't believe me.....too bad. I have pics to prove that if you KNEW how to fish my lake, like a particular guide who shall go un-named, 17-19 lbs a day was certain. Lets just say....when they come back in 2006 I will NOT let $200k slip through my fingers again if it means selling a kidney. And I have 5 reporters, FLW employees, and some pics coming soon to back it up!

Anyhow, day 1:

Beautiful start to the day, and I was expecting a lot bigger weights, and I don't know why they didn't come in. A lot more guys ran south than I thought. One was David Walker who made the top ten and funny enough, my buddy Kenny (tourney partner) was the one who drove Walker back to weigh in and he was fishing the same places and ways that Kenny and I did for our check on opening weekends. Huh, I fished the same ways and places as a top FLW pro.....who'd a thunk it?

The fish were in all phases of the spawn. At least the smallies were. Some were pre, some WERE, and some were post. Largemouth were all either at the end of bedding or totally post spawn.

But my favorite flats were flat out PUMMLED with dozens of boats from 2 weeks prior to the tourney, to day 2.

Day 2, winds out of the south at 25+ MPH. The old boys didn't get to see Champlain at her finest last time, but they sure did this year. It still didn't blow like it did for our Everstart last year, but we had 5-6 footers that were every which way as the wind kept shifting. I saw a brand new 901 with a 200 Opti hanging off the back only by the steering cables and gas connections. Saw another Statos with a cracked transom and the motor barely on....crooked but on. Helped pull Schad Shencks (sp?) 7up boat off the rocks after he ditched it when it stalled. We tore it up pulling it off. Boat was totally swamped, but still didn't sink. That's a 520 for ya. Several other boats got towed in that day. That was why the weights got so small that day.

Got a nice 2 1/2 female a mile from the ramp, and the FLW media guy with me wanted to take her back for some pics. I told him she wouldn't be 2 1/2 lbs when we got back. Sure enough, in that mile, she was down to 2 lbs with 1/2 lb of eggs in my livewell.

Note: CLEAN out eggs from livewells VERY well. They have a sticky substance that gums up your screens and valves!!! LOL

Day 3:

First day for the top 10, my buddy, Charles Pearson (stayed with me during the tourney along with 7up pro Rob Pearson, not related) took 6th place and a check for $7000. He was 1 fish short of a limit. That fish would have put him in contention for sure. I was up with Jeff Schrodeder of FLW, the guy that does Pundit's picks, and Dave Washburn and we fished slightly in from Randy Blaukat. I predicted Randy to lead it that day given where and how he was fishing and he did. I however, outfished him and Jeff made sure to tell him. Not cool Jeff, don't need any enemies on the trail before I even get there! LOL Kidding, Randy was cool about it, but I couldn't share the info as badly as I wanted to.

Day 4: Blue bird skies and flat calm water. PERFECT.....so why didn't they nail them? I just plain don't know. I took Charles out and since he had been in the back of the boat all week, put him on the TM which he loved. He wanted to sight fish so sight fish we did. Randy was up there, but fished too deep and threw a jerkbait. It was just too calm for a jerkbait.

It was an awesome tourney, I took out Dan Johnson of North American Fisherman. He is supposed to do an article on my guide service and another in the fall. That will make it all worth it.

Be sure to catch the FLW recap on OLN to see some of the footage of boats coming clean out o

Sounds like you had fun. You really need to learn to be a little more agreesive. Next time just drive up to the pro and start emtying your live well in front of him. Then say

sorry just replenishing my spot. Have a nice day.

When will that be on!??

Sounds like alot of fun!

Rob youre my hero....

You know your scales dont weigh like the tourney scales.

By the way, lay off the horn. You are going to wear it out.

Mini

Oh, but it's OK to rag about 30lb sacks from St Clair???? LOL You guys crack me up.

It is what it is Mini, I don't give a rip anymore who believes it or who doesn't. I will get my teeth kicked in on new water when I finally go pro, but on MY lake, I know the deal. We all have bad days from time to time, but in June, I know my water.

And you're right, my scales do read different. They read a tad lighter than the FLW scales. Last year at the Everstart, my scales said 15 lbs, it was actually 15 lbs 8 oz.

Hey Rob,

Why sell a kidney???

What happened to the video-game dude that was gonna help you out?!?

I saw some footage on OLN Sunday....the lake looked like it did when Mac and I were there and ran 20 miles in 4-5 footers, we came outta the water a few times. Not a fun day!!!

The day someone weigh's in a 30lb sack from 'Clair,..we WILL talk about it,.....relax Rob..

Barkeep....

Another round for my friends... And add some valium...

Okay. Read enough that it now prompts me to respond.

Dragging my soapbox out from under the desk . . . .

On Day 1, there were 199 pro's that weighed in 189 limits of fish (smallmouth and largemouth bass). Average weight was somewhere around 2 1/2 to 3 lbs (no - I didn't do the precise math).

What's so (*&^%^) special about that? Hell, I could've caught fish there. Seems as almost anyone that had a pole in the water that day caught fish, and caught all they wanted.

You like fishing big water. Drag your bones down here to SC and let me know how you like fishing Santee-Cooper in a 200 boat tournament. And let's not be talking about shattering any weight records with that measly amount of fish. I don't care what the record is on Champlain - if the top guys aren't weighing in 25lb+ sacks, it ain't very much.

And another thing. You guys up there are fishing on a lake that for the most part does not know what fishing pressure is. How many 'boats per sq mile' is it on Champlain. Now, divide that by how many days people can actually fish that lake. Yes, it's a great fishery, as there are many, many bass in it. But let's face it, it's not really much of a competition, as it is luck. 199 angles go out and 189 bring back limits. You could move down 20 places because your fish spit up breakfast.

You want to see a real test of skill, wait till the end of the month when the Classic is in town. It will take someone really putting their skill to work to move into the finals, and ultimately win. I'm not knocking the FLW guys at all, they are some really good anglers. Same goes for when they fish Logan-Martin later this summer. It will be a test of skill (though I don't like the format at all).

Everyone should have confidence in themselves. But you actually have to get on the water and do it, not just talk about it. 'If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his arse every time he jumps.'

Stepping down off my soapbox.

Tex

Tex, all I can attest to is that Champlain does not fish easy. Are the fish there...yes,.......is it like shooting fish in a barrel?.....Nope. Getting the size is harder than the #'s. And the fish seem to be fairly concentrated in small areas also, so you can do a lot of running and not get on fish. Don't be fooled, Champlain is not a cake walk!!

TOXIC

Just for the record, where is this barrel that people keep shooting fish in? It seems that if it were that easy, more barrels would open up. Yeah, I got skunked AGAIN last night for all practical purposes.

I feel the pain...My "home" lake, the one I guide on totally shut me down this spring. As summer patterns have progressed so have my fish. I dunno, maybe I am not destined to go after the springtime fish. In the dog days when everyone else is struggling, I can pick out a good bag. Go figure.

TOXIC

As a once famous "Fishing Facts" contributor and fishing educator "Buck Perry" once said, on any given day only 10% of any given body of water holds 90% of the fish in that body of water. So given that, 10 miles of lake Champlain holds the majority of fish in that lake. Sounds like a lot until you realize there's 100 mile of lake.

Latest posts

Back