Flooded bilge/Bob

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloudofbass

Reaction score
UGH!!! During the storm at Lake Cypress Springs my bilge got flooded. The water line was at the top of all 3 batteries...about an inch away from the +/- post. I was always told it would be ok as long as it doesn't reach the post. Is this true? Another thing... the onboard charger was completly under water (Bass Pro Shops

Your batteries should be fine. The charger....I really don't know of anything that is COMPLETELY waterproof. Water proof USUALLY implies you can splash it now and again. I would {if possible} remove the cover of the charger, spray a little wd-40 on the innards and allow it to dry. You might want to call the Charger maker for a "what to do if...".

Hey Tim....thanks for the note, and correct me if I'm wrong...... FYI, {to all who might own this unit} the Maker does not recommend to remove the cover and "clean it up with WD-40", but to allow it to dry thoroughly, unplug it from the batts, then plug it into a GFI protected outlet. Learned something today....{as I do everyday!!!}.

Bob. You are correct that is what the tech from Pro Mariner said. Here is something else that might help. This come from Mom...Gotta love Mom....

She said..."why dont you get a tub of rice and set the charger inside the rice to take all of the moister out. --and its cheap too" "just put the charger in the rice and let it set on the dock all day in the sun, just make sure the birds don't eat it, cause they will explode". gotta love ole timey wisdom!!

Tight Lines

C

**UPDATE**

So...I retrieved the onboard charger from the bildge on Saturday, and did what mom suggested

pic 1...bucket of rice (coated the bottom)

pic 2...placed charger in rice

pic 3...completly covered the charger in rice.

Let it set on the dock Saturday and Sunday. Plugged it in to a GFI this morning, all the ligts came on and all banks are reading 13.3 Volts. Whew!! glad thats over... Thank you Bob!!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I had tried to respond earlier to this post, but it didn't post and I didn't do the update. I had a very similar problem with my Pro Mariner and it survived twice, failed the last time.

Now that you have completed the rice treatment, I'll ask (simply for curousity sake) the following. If that is similar to the Pro-Mariner that I had, it is a 'sealed unit' which gives it the 'waterproof' abiliity. In short, when I actually replaced mine (when it failed), I realized that the unit was completely sealed. Rice treatment aside, if it is a sealed unit, the 'rice treatment' really won't do anything.

Glad to see that you are back working and you didn't have to replace it.

Tex

Latest posts

Back