Float Tube Hook-Up....Hey TrepMan!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Elkins

Reaction score
TrepMan, How do you hook your tube up to the transom? I can't seem to find a 'Y' pull rope. Did you make yours or buy it? Thanks

Our Bass Pro Shops catalog has them as well as our Gurnee, IL store, as well as all the others. They run $10-$20 depending on construction and size. You might find them at other boat/marine centers, also. You should have a selection of different sizes to use. For safety, measure from each "D" ring to the motor and extend the measurement 2 or 3ft. away from the motor. The tow "Y" you want should have a float at the tow connection to keep the harness out of your prop. When towing, start off slow to ensure that high rpms do not suck your harness into your prop. When tension is achieved on your tow vehicle, your in business. Remember, it takes two to tow; one driver and one spotter. Good luck and stay safe.

Sam - I bought mine at BPS here in Atlanta, they are called a floating "ski bridle", about 10 bucks. Have towed kids, adults and wife/kids together with not problem the float keeps the plastic coated line out of the prop/motor and works great, it connects with clips right to the transom tiedown holders. I've seen them on-line too, I also went to WalMart and got a medium plastic topped container to hold the bridle and tube tow rope so when not in use that day is stores away nice.

TrepMan

Thanks guys. Gonna give tubin' a try this weekend. Too late for BPS so I'll try the marine stores around here.

Trep, How was the fishing weekend?

Sam - The 3 day weekend was great from the FISHING, the CATCHING was another story. Hit Lanier on Friday and Sunday, and Allatoona on Saturday. Total of 5 fish for the 3 days, biggest was a 15 inch spot on Allatoona (nice and fat, figure 2-3lbs), strangest one was a 12 inch Crappie on a Lightning Shad crank bait on Sunday. After reading all the fishing reports I think my problem was I was fishing 2 of the days morning to late afternoon, I should have been doing early morning and late afternoon/evening. I should have known that, typically summer patterns.

My boss has asked me to take him and his 14 year old son out on Friday so we're going to head out after 3pm and fish till dark, hope to have better luck.

Did a lot of exploring on Lanier up north and found spots to try next time. Also go to see Lanier at its worse - Sunday afternoon with a slight chop. Between the wakeboard boats, 30-40 ft cruiser and cigarette boats, a constant 3-4 foot chop made for a bumpy but DRY ride, except when going diagonaly throw it.

Let us know how the tubing goes! Good time to get tubes on sale too, have seen $10-20 discounts around here.

TrepMan

Glad you had a good time. Sometimes it's just good to get out even if you don't catch many fish. But it's always better to catch lots of fish.

I bet a big lake like that does get wild on the weekends.

I also catch fish you wouldn't expect to catch on lures. I've even heard of people catching catfish on crank baits.

Good luck Friday.

Strangest catfish story i've got is I was in my old john boat and fishing a small crawdad crank bait around rip/rap in 15 foot of water (lure would go 3-5 feet deep) in the spring a few years ago and hooked a nice 5lb catfish (dinner on me that night). My wife didn't believe me since she'd been listening to me talk about bass, bass and more bass and how catfish are on the bottom. So next week I took her out with me for some bream fishing and sure enough we get to the rip/rap and she said "so were did you catch that imaginary catfish???" and I pointed and cast the same lure and i'll be darned if I didn't get another catfish (only 2 lbs this time) on the first cast. Later that summer I took her dad with me and he is strictly a worm/bobber guy and in the same spot with worms about 2 feet below the surface) he caught 3 nice 2-3 lb catfish.

Have not been able to repeat that but it sure was strange.

I'm just happy anytime something pulls back (except trees, rocks and trolling motors LOL).

TrepMan

Latest posts

Back